Light bullets in the 243?

Don Armstrong

I have a H&R ultra varmint in 204 but have realized it is a little heavy, for a calling rifle, in the hill of Virginia. I have a Marlin XL7 in 270 and like it for deer. I am thinking of getting a XS7 in 243 as they don't make it in 204 or 22-250. I am also looking at the Stevens 200 but with a non adjustable trigger and the issues with the stock, even though I can get a 22-250, the Marlin looks like a better choice. Now to my question after the long winded ramble
grin.gif
. Can you usually get good accuracy with the 55 to 70 grain bullets in the 243. I would like to keep some hides but my sewing skills are lacking
unsure.gif
. Thanks, Don

Last edited:
I've had 243's for about 20yrs now. I used to load a Hornady 70gr SXSP (I think they have discontinued it though) it was a sweet shootin load! I had several rifles that shot 1/2" groups at 100yrds with that load.

I didn't play with any 55gr loads, I don't like to run em over 4000fps. I would venture to guess that they would shoot just fine though.

Either way, I think you would be happy the 243's accuracy.

I have experimented with Nosler BT 55 grain with max loads of h414 clocking over 4000 fps. I could not get much better than 2 inch group (5 shot). I guess that is minute of coyote.

I have put down trying to hotrod for now and use varget. It shoots 5 shots in an inch around 3650. Some time down the road I may try again.

Now 65 grain v maxes are very accurate in my 243. 3 shots cloverleafs consistently at 100 yards. I use Reloader 15.

Good luck

I've never tried the 55's but I've shot tons of the Sierra 60 grain HP's with great accuracy. I currently shoot the Speer 70 grain TNT and they shoot great. I got over 1000 of them at an auction for next to nothing. My huntin' buddy and I split them so I have enough to last a while. I used to use IMR4064 but I switched to IMR4007ssc 2 years ago and I've never looked back. Both my guns are Remy 700's with 1-9" twist.

Not that it matters, but the Stevens 200's triggers are adjustable and quite easy at that. I adjusted my son's and it itsn't super light, but actually a pretty decent hunting weight.

You're right about the stocks though...J.U.N.K.!

I don't have any experience with the Marlins, but I have read good reviews. I would definately handle one if the only deciding factor was the stock. I'll bet it's not all that whoopy either. Just a guess though.

We developed two real good 55g loads for his Stevens .243.

We settled on the 55g Sierra Blitzking with W760, but Varget shot just as accurate.

He still hasn't got around to shooting a coyote with this load, but my guess is it would be pretty explosive. It pretty much atomizes prairie dogs.

I've watched these "fur friendly .243 loads" threads pretty close, and from what I've seen, the 55g bullets are usually pretty destructive. Alot of guys like the 75g VMax.

I've tried the light bullet's, 58gr, in my 243 and a 6mm. They didn't shoot well for me. My son like's them in his 243, say's they shoot great.

I tried 70gr Noslers and didn't have much luck with them bu 70 SMK's are great shooter's. Think it's just my rifle. Normally you'll find either 75 gr V-Max's or 75gr Hornady HP's in my rifle, they shoot to the same poi and I have trouble finding V-Max's here. Mish I could find 70gr SMK's closer to home, they were really nice.

I shot a coyote two weeks ago at 180yds with a 58gr vmax and had one very small entrance hole and no exit. Shot placement was broadside in the ribcage.

Don Fischer I assume SMK is sierra match king. If so how have those worked on coyotes as far as fur goes. I have some and was going to try them and the Sierra Blitz king in 70 grains. Ive just got to get out. I live on the wet side and we don't have alot of coyotes right around where I live so I generally head east. With the holidays and the weather I havent got out much.

I have got a Stevens in .243 and it shoots Sierra 60 grain HPs very accurately. I have shot a few coyotes with this bullet and they were sure enough DRT but sometimes it is not very fur friendly. And other times one little hole in and no exit it all just depends on were they are hit.

I shot a bobcat with my 788 243 carbine using Federal premium 85 grain sierra BTHP a few days ago one tiny hole in no exit. He was sitting and I shot him in the chest. I have also shot several coyotes with this round most with no exit at all and the few that did were dime sized holes.

Originally Posted By: steveg58 gr V-Max are tack drivers in my .243 I use 43.5 gr of Varget
X2 this load shoots 5 rds into 1/2" at 100 yds. I got my first coyote with this particular load, this coyote isn't going to the fur buyer. Got it high on the shoulder at about 120 yds, at first I thought "hey not bad, no damage," til I flipped it over wow! DRT but not fur friendly. Going to continue to use it. One example isn't enough to prove or disprove a theory, I'm hoping front on or longer range shots will result in less damage.

I tried some old school imr3031 in mine with 55gr Lead Free Ballistic Tips and just my charge workup from 40gr to 44gr was a hole 3/8" wide and 1" tall! I backed it down to 43gr at 4000fps and called it good. I have not had a chance to shoot anything with this load yet.

Back