What keep you warm?

bayne

With it beening so cold in the mid west and up north, what is everyones cold weather hunting clothes set up? I like under armer or Poler tec for a base layer (or both if it is as cold as last night -15) then carhart work pants and wind stopper lined sweater then Cableas wooltament outer layer. What does the guys working in -60 all day wear?

I like to dress in layers. Nothing fancy. My wife knits so I have a good selection of wool sweaters etc. I put my Carhart Arctic Wear Jacket and Bibs then my 2XL lightweight waterproof snow camo from Cabela's. If the wind is'nt too nasty I can easily last between sets.

If and when it gets below -35 F, I will wear two layers of arctic weight thermal long-johns, thin layer of poly-pro socks covered with a thick arctic wool sock covered by heavy wool pants, which are covering the pacs that are rated at -75 F. Upper body I have a wool sweater over the long johns, with the inner zip-in thermal layer from a ski coat covered by a woold coat. All this under snow camo if the ground is white (which it usualy is under these conditions). Over my head I wear a heavy wool face mast/hat combo.

For gloves, I use a thinsulate glove-mitt with chemical hand-warmers in the "mitt" part.

Covered like this, I can stay out indefinatly regarless of the wind. I've even been known to go prone and crawl towards 'yotes in a spot and stalk method.

All I ask is NOT to turn the durn heater on in the truck!
wink.gif

when it gets really cold say -40 and colder I dig the Raven Wear out.I first put on thermal underwear,flannel shirt,blue jeans,raven wear heavy bibs, light gortex coat,Raven heavy vest and their heavy coat over everything.On the top end heavy wool touque/facemask.On my feet,baffin island boots.My hands never get cold,so most days just cotton Roper gloves if there is a heavy wind,lined leather gloves.I have yet to find weather that I wasn't warm in with this setup.My only fear is falling down and the coyotes finding me and getting there revenge!!!

Wolfhunter-I've never heard of Raven Wear, have to check that stuff out!
I'm one of those unlucky ones that "gets cold" easily, so I dress kinda heavy at times.

Wow i guess i never hunted in weather that cold but! I just bought a killzone 2 man blind/tent and a new coleman sportcat heater. They both worked great this past week when it was 15 degrees outside!

Good heavens how do you guys even move with all of that on? I have called a few times under zero degrees but the stands are shortened up to 10 min or so.

Originally Posted By: mark williamsWhat keep you warm?
My wife,
Sorry couldnt help myself,,LOL Thats very generous of you
laugh.gif

It dont get to awful cold around here but we do see temps below 0 sometimes. What I found that works best for me is a pare of thermal bottoms, isulated socks, 6 pocket pants from wal-mart, and set of Remington bibs(also from wal-mart) For the top I simply wear a long sleeve camo t-shirt and a button up long sleeve shirt from cabelas, then a Remington 6-in-1 parka and a fleece full face mask. Nothing to fancy, its easy on the wallat and most importantly gets the job done. Josh

Interesting reading. Since it really does not get severly cold here (maybe 10 -12* a worst) my only problem is my hands. I reacently started using hand warmers but am wondering if one brand has any advantages over another?

Rustydog

Under Armor Coldgear leggings, mock turtle neck, and their hoodie, which is honestly fantastic. It seems thin, but really does a great job, just turned my buddy into a believer.

Microfleece wader pants over the bottoms, then my bibs. Reg. socks with a warm wool/synthetic oversock and heavy pac boots. Over the UA top goes a different brands cold weather top, then I go to layering regular turtle necks and shirts. Then my duck hunting jacket goes on. On my head, that UA hoodie along with a beanie, if it is really windy or if I want a bit more camo to help hide my mug I'll put my fleece neck gaitor on as well.

I think one of the biggest things to remember is; Moisture will kill you, even with all those layers, if you are wet you are vulnerable. So paying the money to get these great moisture wicking underlayers is well worth it, this is why I love my UA.

I wear Schnees packs, good wool socks, pants and shirt. Coolmax thermals and Kings Snow camo bibs/parka combo. Stormy Kromer wool cap and facemask if it gets much below -30.

Temp.jpg

I sit at each stand for 15 minutes and sometimes up to 30 minutes. My feet sometimes get cold, especially if I have snowshoes lashed to them. But not so cold as to cause frost bite.

gets cold here not quite as bad as no-dak

we use normal shirt and jeans --long johns upper and lowers

resv camo parka and bibs from Stranded outdoors-- discounted hunting apparel

Schnee pack boots normal socks

wool gloves

It doesn't get sub zero here often, but the high humidity teens with wind here can cut into you. I find any good head covering helps with a neck gaitor or balaclava type hood. One trick I started using several years ago was to use the Thermacare heat wraps around my waist and between my shoulder blades on top of the first layer of clothes helped a lot. I have been sitting still nearly sweating at single digit temps. It warms the kidneys where all the blood in your body passes at some point. They run about $2.50 each, but have easily saved a day hunting for me when it was cold.

Sorrels & 2 sets of wool socks for the feet, jeans, tee shirt, thermal shiet over the tee, then a sweat shirt, then my old GI coat liner over that then my insulated coveralls. Bacovla, knit hat, knit finger gloves under a warm set of gloves that you can fold the top back to use the fingers. I also stick a hand warmer in my inner liner pocket.
Works to -40 below so far.

Your dedication is admirable, but I'm with Blackhawk43!

When it gets below 60 ABOVE zero, I switch from t-shirt and shorts to long sleeve t-shirt and long pants.

I haven't heard of it either but I just looked and it is SO expensive!
Originally Posted By: littletoesWolfhunter-I've never heard of Raven Wear, have to check that stuff out!
I'm one of those unlucky ones that "gets cold" easily, so I dress kinda heavy at times.

Back