rcbs primer pocket uniformer setup??

skidooracer_99

i got quite frustrated lastnight trying out the my new large rifle pocket uniformer for the trim mate center. i was trimming away at a stack of brass and it just seemed to take forever to finish cutting and looked like it was sure taking alot off and going deep. sure enough i went to seat the primers in 20 cases i did and they were all very low, further in the case than ive ever seen by far. says pre adjusted on the package or sumthing but i noticed losening the setscrew moves it a whole bunch and it soo is adjustable. so i know mine was too high, now how do i go about setting this stupid thing to proper height? i found no where in my 2 manuals about large rifle pocket depth???

That would work,as Shanedogg said,to get the uniformer adjusted.While the primer pocket depth is the same on small rifle and pistol,it is deeper on large rifle than large pistol.That measurement may be in your loading manual.I've seen it a couple times,but my load books are at my shop,and I can't remember how much the depth is.You could also set it to just clean up the bottom of a fired case,seat a primer,so that is noticeable below flush.I didn't think they still made adjustable large primer uniformers.I have a Sinclair that is,but they have all fixed depth uniformers now.I never did the primer pockets on pistol brass anyway,unless loading for big game hunting.

Messure the primer depth, add .002.I read the reviews on the Midway site about the RCBS uniformers.A couple guys got to going too deep because the cutter is held by a set screw,and there is a mounting screw in the rear that when mounting on the case prep motor,can move the cutter forward causing the cut to be too deep.I would think that with the set screw loose,the cutter would bottom out where it needs to be,then tighten the set screw.It is not adjustable for large pistol pockets.They sell a seperate tool for that.On a new case you can adjust the cut to just take a very slight amount off,and you should be good to go.The primer,when seated,should be slightly below the head of the case ,.002 would be good.

Call RCBS and I'm sure they will replace it. They will probably give you the deminsions for setting the one you have also. Joe O's instructions are good. Torque that baby down when you get it right.

Do your self a favor and get a Sinclair Primer pocket uniformer kit. No adjustment needed as there is no adjustment on them.
I do not care to use the trim mate for uniforming primer pockets as the shavings get down around the side of the primer pocket and binds up the cutter.

The Sinclair comes in a kit or comes separate. The kit for rifles come with cutter for small rifle and a cutter for large rifle and a holder you chuck it in and use a drill motor or a batter operated screw driver to turn the cutter.

DAB

I just wonder Joe O if the guy has the correct pocket uniformer. I've had an RCBS casemaster and can't complain I just did 100 300savage cases. But as in all things some go airy.....

I just wonder Joe O if the guy has the correct pocket uniformer. I've had an RCBS casemaster and can't complain I just did 100 300savage cases. But as in all things some go airy..... [/quote]

I believe he does,from what info I could find on the RCBS equipment.My Sinclair large primer uniformer was the earlier type that had a collar around the cutter,with a set hex screw,therefore ajustable for pistol and rifle.Their newer ones are one piece,which work great chucked up in a 3/8" cordless drill,set in a bench vice.I can chuck up the older one just as easy,and never use the handle,which doesn't fit any of their newer tools.I could be wrong.It may work on a flash hole deburer.

Back