What is the BEST Fox caliber ?

crosseyed

I know I'll get different opinions on this subject but I am curious to see what all you fox hunters are using. On New Years Eve I shot my first ever red fox at about 50 yards with my .223 - 50 grain V-max bullet(coyote loads)and blew him in half! It was not what I wanted to do. Could someone tell me what is the most "fur friendly" combo for fox? Should I load down and shoot a heavier bullet out of my .223 or just look for a .17 cal. My Dad says a .17 will do the same on a fox as my .223 did. Is this a true statement? Your help would be much appreciated!

17 hmr is my fox and bobcat gun. I hunt in swamps, so I might as well use a shotgun. For truly long range fox sniping, I have few suggestions. Maybe try the .223 with bullets not quite so destructive....maybe a standard soft point?

I have had the same experience with fox
They are not very tuff
the only one I killed that was salvageable was with a shotgun,(10 ga)
I suspect that the 17 cals would be nice on fox

Thanks HunterBear for your response. I was wandering what type of bullet are you useing out of your 17 hmr and if it is "fur friendly"? Was thinking of using my 12 guage as well but did'nt want to limit myself to a 40 yard range.

It depends on what type of .17 you are talking about.If you are talking .17fireball (centerfire) it will do the same at 50yds.That round is smokeing.Most say its good to 300yds on coyote. If your talking .17hmr (rimfire) That would be a great choice for fox at 100yds or less. Some would argue and say it would be good to 200yds.Might be accurate enough but I wouldn't want to risk not droping it in it's tracks.The problem arises between the two when you start asking them to serve both purpouses.The hmr in my opinion just isn't enough gun on a coyote. People are going to condem me for saying that but it is how I feel.Alot of coyotes have been taken with the hmr and alot have been lost or had to be tracked.The fireball will take both down effectively.But you will get some fur damage under 100yds. Its almost impossible to get the best of both worlds.If you have more fox go with the hmr.If you shoot more coyotes get the fireball.That is the best I can tell you and I hope it helps. But I'm shure it will open a can of worms.I use a .223 and deal with whatever comes along.So don't be afraid of the gun you own.Look for good shot placement and most of the fur you get will be acceptable.

Last edited:
17 Ackely hornet is hard to beat for fox. Pinhole in and no exit usually. It is strictly a reloaders round since it is a wildcat. If you went factory I would vote 17FB, it is also a nice fox round and not to far above the hornet.

Years ago before coyotes had infested my state, my friends and I called fox in fact we still get a good number of fox. My absolute favorite fox rifle is a .22 mag shooting solid nose bullets.

I've shot one fox in my life, a Red at about 75yds. Hit it in the shoulder from the side with a 154gr Hornady RN out of a 7x57. Can't reccommend that. I have though about it though. The little suckers are so fragile it's tuff. maybe a 222 Rem with a 50gr SX of something like a 223 with a cast bullet with a light load.

I was absolutely amazed when I saw my fox come apart, had no idea that would happen!

How about the 22 Mag with Winchester solids that is and would be my choice. To shoot FUR requires that the speed of the round any round is held to about 2400 fps.

Clarence

I love the 22 hornet for fox myself! But since you have a 223 and it can be made to perform the same, it would be my choice... As stated, Fox are not generally hard to kill.. But as always, there are exceptions to the rule!

FWIW,I have never taken a cat... But I wont be sitting there with a rimfire when the oppertunity presents its self... If it works for ya though, go for it..

Look up a post about trail boss powder from a week or so ago. Had info on reduced loads. Should be able to come up with a load that matches .22 mag (except with better bullets?) or .22 hornet.

CB

Some fox are lighter built than some feral cats. They come apart fairly easy and don't need a lot of killing - hitting the shoulder bones on them with fragile bullets can cause a mess, as you've found - sometimes w/o hitting the bones. That said I wouldn't recommend a 22 LR. 22 mag with the heavier bullets & 17 HMR with the heavier bullets should work well to 150 yards or so if you have the rest, accuracy and ability to do so in the field. 22 Hornet will work very well too, and may be the ideal fox round to 150+ yards in standard calibers. If you can reload, tougher, heavier bullets in any caliber should help reduce destruction, especially if loaded slower. Stay away from fmj's - you'll lose animals eventually with them. 222, 223 and up are (as you have found) a bit destructive to critters of this size unless downloaded. 17 Ackley Hornet is ideal, but a wildcat as stated above. 17 fireball is probably good, and better if downloaded a bit. 17 Rem will work, but probably should be reduced a bit in velocity for fox. Again, the frangible bullets like the v-max you're shooting can REALLY make a mess of fox-sized critters. And stay off the bones with your shot placement for reduced splashes going in. Anything that will not blow up a fox maybe a bit lite for killing coyotes reliably if you get a coyote in - again shot placement is key and try to stay off the bones to get to the "goods" on both.

I've shot quite a few fox with a 17 Rem with either 25 gr Rem or Hornady bullets back when that's what was all available at the time. Pelt damage was minimal.

Since Hornady came out with the 20 gr V-max I think it's the gold standard for a fox bullet. 4200 out of the 17 Rem makes a fox look like it's been trapped, even at up-close-and-personal calling ranges.

Any of the more powerful rimfires should work within reasonable range for the cartridge.

The .17 Remington is pretty rough on grey fox fur. They just aren't that big. Sorta like a big jackrabbit, and if it'll tear up a big jackrabbit, it'll tear up a fox.

For me, if there's a "best" fox cartridge, I'd take the .22 mag over just about anything else. I'd take a .22 LR loaded with mini-mags or Velocitors over a centerfire if that's what I had though; I'd just limit the range to about 40-50 yards.

Foxes just aren't that hard to kill, and they're even easier to call in close to do it.

Daryl

9/10 times, a 22 cal cf bullet (all bullets) will put a massive hole in a fox; even if the fps are way down. I have had good luck with the 22 mag (most bullets) upto 150 yds and the 218 Bee (46gr FNSP) upto 200 yds and of course the 12ga. If using the .22 cf or even the .17 cf, stick with a head shot. FWIW--I hunted fox in ND in the 80s when there were A LOT of fox and the numbers are just now beginning to return.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot over 750 reds and most were with a 222 and 50 gr SX and it worked very well but lately have used a 17 fireball and am begining to think this may be a little better. So far it has taken down quite a few coyotes also with good results and no fur damage yet, This one is from yesterday that the boy got.
112_1269.jpg

Last edited:
Tim,

Nice fox! The reds must be tougher than our little greys.

A .17 or .22 CF will undoubtedly leave too much hole in the greys.

Congrat's on the red!

Daryl

Back