Monopod vs. Sticks vs. Tripod vs. Nothing?

GJJ

I am curious what you use for shooting support?

I normally use sticks. But, sometimes they can be hard to reposition if a coyote comes from a direction I am not expecting. The monopod is too unstable. A tripod is more stable. But, it is cumbersome. No support is shaky and requires a lot of movement to get into position.

I am especially interested to hear what you use when you are on the slope of a hill.

Styx
thumbup1.gif

I use sticks with a rubber band on top, but I'm thinking hard about going to a Harris bi-pod so I can hold my shotgun and have the rifle stable next to me.

I was using Stoney Point sticks and like them but just switched to shooter ridge bipod that goes to 29" tall. Took a coyote with it on Tuesday and really like the set up. I dont have the problem of my gun falling off the sticks. It wasnt too bad to re-position and was better than trying to go without a rest.
I am new so still trying things out

Monopod....in my hunting territory I am forced to hunt from hillsides with irregular terrain. I know the monopod isn't as stable as shooting sticks or a bipod but it works for me as I can swing in what ever direction I need to.

i use the levelok monopod with the vice lock attachment that keeps it on the rifle...excellent!!!! pricey though but it does the job!

so far nothing as I,m not too good at getting a good set up yet and I have done ok just sitting , kneeling or standing ..... They all seem to be closer than I figured they would be .

I use the Stoney Point Polecats. Sitting on the ground and using them my crosshairs are as steady as if my gun was in a vise. They are cumbersome to shift when the shot is in a different direction than expected, but so was a more expensive bipod thst attaches to the front swivel stud that I have used. I have to use something. I couldn't hit a bull in the butt at 100 yards without something to steady my gun.

Verne Howeys sticks , i think they sell them at all predator calls .Item # vh sticks

I bought mine from Verne , they are alot diff. then most sticks as the allow you to turn the rifle left to right in a panning montion.

The rifle sits in a U shaped cradle.

They are also hinged to allow for uneven ground.

This comes in handy when you have to turn the sticks and you find one leg is on a higher place then the other .

In my oppinion Verne has made the ultimate pair of sticks.

But then again that would make sence , he has been a GOV. hunter for many many years and knows this game inside and out, Im sure he has killed more coyotes then the mange .

You can make your own pair of shooting stix for 50 cents.
just tie two maple stix together with a piece of heavy string.
and send me the 50 cents.
Duu

Originally Posted By: bullwhipYou can make your own pair of shooting stix for 50 cents.
just tie two maple stix together with a piece of heavy string.
and send me the 50 cents.
Duu

For years, I went even cheaper than that and used a 3' piece of windmill sucker rod. By angling it and putting counter pressure on it, it was pretty stable. I rested the gun on my hand on the stick and it was a snap to slide my hand up or down. Made for a decent walking stick, too. In fact, I think I'm still using it in my avatar there...

Even so, I sure like the stability of a pair of sticks. I've used home-made sticks, arrows held together with a castrating band, and Stoney Points. Right now, I'm pretty happy with my Cabela's bipod sticks.

Sniper Styx. in steep terrain i have a second pair that has the 9" extensions on them. The taller ones also work very well with a short seat. Never have problems swinging into a different position. Just squeeze them togather below the cross point and lift everything at once. real quick and sure as heck alot better than "winging" it off-hand. The extensions can be taken off in seconds if you don't need them.

i got a set of syx from gander mt.prety good the gun sits in a v shap holder and will rotate left to right.thay will extend from 22" ot about 35" good if i am siting on ground or on a stool.

I have a set of Stoney Point sticks, and a Harris bi-pod, but I usually call without either.

For close in, moving coyotes I've found them to be more of a hindrance than an asset. A fast swing and a steady hand have always worked pretty well for me.

The times I took one or the other, the coyotes always seem to come in from unexpected directions and I end up shooting off my knee anyway.

Daryl

Normally I use nothing but my forearms on my knees, I got a bipod on my rifle if I need it. I don't use shooting sticks anymore.

t/c223encore.

Stoney Point shooting sticks.
If I had to shoot unsupported I might as well throw a handful of pea gravel at stuff.
laugh.gif

BogGear.com Camo Legged Devil tripod. Has the "U" shaped cradle that swivels. Can be used as a "BI" pod too. Legs are adjustable.

Lots of people complain about bipods but I would not hunt without them. I don't like anything 100% solid as it doesn't work very well for calling or you have to do the bipod jump method which I hate.

I have a 9-12 inch verso-pod on the gun for most situations if I plan to hunt prone, and if I plan to sit or be in deep snow, I always have a much longer pair of versa-pods with me. I can switch between them in 2 seconds if I need to with no tools in the field or in the truck. I realize this is two but before I ever go to a stand I am pretty sure which I will be using and if not, I may carry both in. These two are one of the best predator hunting investments I have ever made.

I use Varmital's stix and they work great. I did make them a little longer to allow for my height and they make great walking stix. A hint for new hunters-- when setting up in deep snow tromp down the snow in a 4 FT radias around you so that you do not have to pick up the stix very high to move sideways.

Back