coyote hunted this morning with dogs...

nightwatchman

well, i got hooked up with an amish man this morning for a coyote hunt with his two coyote dogs... this was the first time ive ever tried this over dogs and ill admit i was alittle skeptic of it being ive coon hunted for years and always had hounds and i know what kind of ground a coyote can travel but you can cough it up to beginners luck or whatever but i had an absolute blast this morning. i had the honey holes and the amish had the dogs... i got up this morning and got out early to do some locating and got a few responses and met up with the group and we dropped the dogs in... took about 20 minutes and the dogs struck and tore out of the hollow hard. we crossed the road and watched the open pasture and the woodlot the dogs were heading around into and sure enough the coyote comes up and tries to cross the pasture and two of the guys unload on it. the coyote turns and heads back down into the woods and i slip down the road and top over the bank and catch it coming back up through the pasture in a ditch line about 250yards away. i pull up the r-15 and lead him alittle and spin him around on the first shot and he starts barking and biting at his hindend... i tried putting a few more shots in him but couldnt connect and he makes it over the bank. we get the dogs back on the track and they ran him for another 5-10 minutes and then they shut up.. i tried to keep up to the dogs in the woods but i just couldnt do it. i ended up not finding the coyote but i know we got him... one of the dogs came back with bite marks all over his snout where he had been fighting that coyote..... either way thats one less coyote and i had an absolute blast with those dogs... we are planning to get together alittle more often now and i cant wait.... if i had those dogs my wife would divorce me bc she would never see me..
laugh.gif
.... i hated not being able to recover that coyote out of that hollow bc he was fur'd up real nice and looked to be a large male. those amish guys sure made a believer out of me today... if any of you guys get a chance to do it you better not pass it up. it is an absolute blast...
thumbup.gif

We'll start running them almost every weekend starting tomorrow. Better off carrying a shotgun with #4 buck when using hounds, that's all we use. Most of our shots are close at running yotes.

Back