Where to hunt in N.CA

lovethehunt

I am new to the forum and would like to know where is a good place to hunt in Northern CA. on public land? I am looking for coyotes and bob cats.
Thank You and I hope I posted this in the right place.

Last edited:
Best thing to do is to get some BLM maps. That will show you the public areas in your neck of the woods. The next best thing is to go to Ranchers/landowners in your area, and ask for permission to call for coyotes.. Good Luck.

I see you are in Redding, heck you are close to tons of hunting & calling man!
I lived down in Chico & was always up around the Westwood area or Hogsback area. Those are within 2 hours of you.
Then you have all the NF just north of you also.
Grab these maps and & lay out a drive.
Lassen NF map.
Shasta/Trinity NF maps.
Mendocino NF maps.

Originally Posted By: 5spdI see you are in Redding, heck you are close to tons of hunting & calling man!
I lived down in Chico & was always up around the Westwood area or Hogsback area. Those are within 2 hours of you.
Lassen NF map.
Shasta/Trinity NF maps.
Mendocino NF maps.

+1

Originally Posted By: 5spdI see you are in Redding, heck you are close to tons of hunting & calling man!
Lassen NF map.
Shasta/Trinity NF maps.
Mendocino NF maps.

Great feedback. Good mountain quail hunting and fishing up around Walker Lake, too!

Hey 5spd, when did you live in Chico? I was raised there and graduated CSUC in 1999. My freshman year was the best 3 years of my life
grin.gif

--Duck911

Originally Posted By: duck911
Hey 5spd, when did you live in Chico? I was raised there and graduated CSUC in 1999. My freshman year was the best 3 years of my life
grin.gif

Lived there from 1986 to 2005.

Other great areas for hunting in N Ca. are just north of Westwood off hwy 44, Silverlake & Stephens Meadow areas.....lots & lots of coyotes up there. Even with the 60 or so Ive taken in those years they still keep coming.

Go to the BLM office and look on the big map they have on the wall pick an area you want to look at closer and ask the counter for the map they'll give you all the info you'll need to get you there.
if you know anyone in Hayfork there are tons of coyotes there.
i saw 8 in less than an hr.last yr during deer season all on private property.
there are alot of coyotes in the Burney area i mean i could just go on and on but you're gonna go have to do your own leg work. basically there is'nt to much area around Redding that does'nt hold coyotes you just have to get out and find em.
sorry, when i started hunting coyotes i did it by myself i bought maps and got out and put in the time. looked for the sign and made a lot of trial and error stands. took me 4 years to get my first called coyote and it was worth the wait.
you can also hunt off and around Shasta Lake.
Westwood and the Susanville area and anywhere North or South towards Chester, Mineral.
the options are endless if you are willing to drive to get after em.
Good luck

Frank

Thank You for all the info. I will have to pick up some of those maps. I will have to try some of the areas mentioned.

Last edited:
wow, It's interesting to see a couple of you know the area around here. I know westwood and I've caught a few bass from Walker Lake. As Far as the Susanville Area Mentioned, there are alot of coyote hunters here.

t/c223encore.

Hey you guys, quit givin out all the good spots
tongue.gif

Lots of good info, scouting is the only way to find the yotes, & that means boots on the ground.

Best of luck, Lee

i have hunted susanville many times i hunt from hwy 36 all the way to the oregon,cali.and nevada borders. i have a lil samuri i do most of my hunting out of.i hit eagle area back in july or aug, called in 4 coyotes that dayit was the most productive day i had in a while,it was fun.
i know a few places around westwood a friend of mine was fallin trees in that area and we saw at least 15 coyotes per day, always 400 yards or more out and none responded to callin.
i need to get back up that way again,i think the coyotes in that area miss me.they need some attention.

I want to thank all of you who responded to me with ideas of where to hunt. I took off this morning with my new Fox Pro F-3 and went out 299 to road A-2 and talked to a rancher who said I could hunt on his property. I got set up and tried the wounded rabbit for awhile then waited and nothing. Then I tried the coyote locator's to see if there was anything in the area but heard nothing. Then I tried the challenge bark and all the sudden I see this coyote off to my right. As he ducked under the fence I turned my by pod and rife toward him. Even though he was ducking under the fence he saw me move but was not sure what I was. I was down wind. I new I did not have much time so as soon as I had the cross hairs on him I fired. The Remington 40 grain hollow point did its job. Down he went. The only problem was he was on the other side of the creek and I could not get to him. Might try tomorrow if he is still there and take some waders along to get across the creek.

Back