150gr E-tip load data for the 30-06

ACLakey

On a recent trip to Nosler I picked up a pile of .308cal 150gr E-Tips and am going to start loading them. I can find next to nothing as far as load data goes for them, anybody suggest a place to start with say H4350? From their shape they seem simmilar in size to my 165gr Accubonds or BT. I was thinking about starting with 165gr load data and working up...any thoughs or experiences?

I shot several loads today with H4350 and H4831SC and I am less than impressed with the 150gr Etip. I saw the pressure signs with similarly loaded 165gr accubonds and BT and the velocities were similar as well. Pressure signs occurred around 2800-2850fps which is less than I have seen with other 150gr bullets in this rifle. Accuracy was not all that great printing an average (5) shot group around 2"-3" with all loads, the best load was right at 2". I will be loading some other powders for the next range visit but with these results I may have a couple hundred Etips for sale in the near future. For less than half the price I can shoot 165gr Innerlock into MOA groups and they have killed just fine for me the past 20 years....some times I should not tinker.

Most of the area I hunt in we have to use lead free bullets to hunt with. We don't want to, we have to.

Between my son and I this year we killed three bucks with 150 gr Nosler E-Tips. Two of them were killed with factory Winchester 30-06, 150 gr CT E-Tips and the other one was killed with factory Winchester 300 WSM 150 gr CT E-Tips.

All three bucks were shot at less than 100 yards and all three had the bullet go right through them. None of the deer went over 30 yards after being shot. The exit holes on all three bucks were very small. The second buck my son killed with his 30-06 had the smallest exit hole I have ever seen on a deer. It looked like it was the same size as the entrance hole. The exit hole was very hard to find.

Unless you are hunting dangerous game or you have to by law I wouldn't use lead free bullets.

None of the six calibers we have been shooting lead free bullets in shoot as accurate as they did with lead bullets.

Loading instruction I got with box of E-Tip the recommended seating depth .050" to .100" off the lands and start with Nosler minimum load and do not exceed the mild load. 1-800-285-3701

I'm loading 150gr E-Tips in my 30-06 and they shoot pretty nice. I've tried IMR-4350/H-4350 settled on H-4350 in my rifle I didn't have any pressure problems H-4350 gave me alittle more velocity. My loading data came from Hodgdon.

I just got some 168gr E-Tip I might try them in the 30-06 and that bullet is pretty long about like the 168gr TSX.

I hope you have better luck loading them than I did. I am headding to the range tomorrow to play with seating depth but I am not holding my breath.

Originally Posted By: ACLakeyI hope you have better luck loading them than I did. I am headding to the range tomorrow to play with seating depth but I am not holding my breath.

I started in March shooting the 150gr E-Tip and used that bullet on a late cow hunt gave afew to my gunsmith and they didn't work in his rifle. I've also had good luck with Barnes TSX just like anything else some work others don't. In our 2009 big game regs we got a warning about "lead bullets in game meat" and I think were going to be lead-free here one of these days. Well good luck

Back