Shotgun scope on a rifle?

TCS

Ok, so my last range session with my AR I put an old fixed 4 power scope on it in the hopes that it would be better for night use than the red dot. That produced a wandering vertical reticle that is completely unusable and indicates a scope that's garbage. That wasn't a huge surprise, but now I need to find a different option.

I have another fixed 4 power scope that is a shotgun scope and used to be on my 870 slug chucker. Since NY changed their boundaries on the shotgun-only units, it's no longer necessary. So...what would happen if I put this scope on my AR. Are their any down sides?

Quote:So...what would happen if I put this scope on my AR. Are their any down sides?

Most likely, it's got more eye relief (make sure you can get it forward enough on the AR to be usable) and the parallax is set to 50 yards (which may be an advantage at night, if most of your shots are short).

If it doesn't work on the AR, it would make a good 22LR scope.

I think I'll be ok on the eye relief issue. Most of my shots should be less than 150 yards, so probably not a huge issue with the parallax.

I don't own a .22 LR. So hopefully it'll work as a short term solution for now.

I use the Leu 1-4 shotgun scope on a 450 Marlin and really like it. In thick bush the reticle stands out very nicely but I don't know if that is what you're looking for on a varmint gun. It works easily out to 200yds and personally don't see any disadvantage to it. Matter of fact I see problems using a thin reticle under less than ideal conditions. Try it, I think you'll find it's a good choice.

I had a Bantum with the diamond plex on a 223 and realy liked it had no isues with it just shot it and had fun. I agree with the others try it, it may be the perfict choice for you.

Back