Night vision hunter?

When you start calling how do you locate the animal? Do you sweep the area with a red lens or use your night vision scope which I think woud be a hard night.

Unless you can afford goggles and a scope this way you only need one the scope and you are not swing the rifle around all night. Thanks gnhuntin

With the use of the night vision scope you know exactly what you are shooting at, also if the animal turns away you don't need the reflection from his eyes anymore.

Originally Posted By: Linvol WebbUnless you can afford goggles and a scope this way you only need one the scope and you are not swing the rifle around all night. Thanks gnhuntin

I completely agree with this statement. I have hunted both ways and now exclusively hunt with helmet mounted goggles or PVS-14 and an IR illuminator/laser.

Here are a couple of pics of some of my set-ups...enjoy!
DSC01889.jpg

ANVIS 9 Goggles, MSARS STG 556 w/ PEQ-15, Noveske N4 VIS w/ Atilla 200

DSC01892.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

Last edited:
I use NV weapon sights on my 3 rifles, although I have a viewer too. I look thru the scope while scanning the area the entire time I am calling. I back up against the edge of a field in the "shadows", stand up with the rifle on a monopod so I can easily pivot the gun all around and look. I use a remote operated e-caller set about 50 yards away. You have to use infrared illuminators to make the animals eyes glow. Sometimes if I have a guest along for the hunt I operate the caller and use the view scope and let them do the shooting. I just make sure we are all wearing dark {preferably black} clothes. I even have the view scope mounted on a monopod because they get a little heavy to hold up after a while. We dont talk, smoke or make any uneccesary movement while calling. Last week I used an AN/PVS-14 on a headgear mount and it was a nice setup. At what I have invested in scopes, mounts and rifles it wasn't that great to make me change over yet.

I just got this one ATN MK350 not even sighted yet
atn-mk350-1.jpg

atn-mk350-2.jpg

I will give it a try, the whole setup is a bit heavy so I don't foresee a lot of walking around, just hit the spot and rest this baby on a bi-pod or mono-pod for more flexibility.
This is GEN1 of NVGs so you will don't have to break the bank, this one was about $400. I read a lot of great reviews and people are saying that can easily see and touch up to 150 yards, one can see even further but the shapes are distorted after 200 yards and you can't really make what are you looking at, you know something is there but I would not take a shot at "something" without making sure what it is. I will report more after sight-in and from the field. Just wonder how and when to sight-in, one just goes at night and bangs it away at the range? What range is open at night? :) There is a day filter of course but I wouldn't hold my breath on it, oh well will see and I will let you know.

Originally Posted By: Lance214Originally Posted By: Linvol WebbUnless you can afford goggles and a scope this way you only need one the scope and you are not swing the rifle around all night. Thanks gnhuntin

I completely agree with this statement. I have hunted both ways and now exclusively hunt with helmet mounted goggles or PVS-14 and an IR illuminator/laser.

Here are a couple of pics of some of my set-ups...enjoy!
DSC01889.jpg

ANVIS 9 Goggles, MSARS STG 556 w/ PEQ-15, Noveske N4 VIS w/ Atilla 200

DSC01892.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

Nice set ups here! :)

Victor,
Do you find that the coyotes are spooky at all with the inferred? I have the ELR torch and have spooked a pile of them with it. I typicaly use the torch with my D-740 GEN2+ at the end of a set up just to scan and pick up a coyote that has held up at the edge.

I also have a USNV-14 GEN3 and was considering your A-ALPHA helmet with the swing arm. (I wrote you an E-Mail awile back) Instead of the milspec mount. I have a VITAL2 laser but was reluctant to use it on Coyotes because of my bad expiriances with the ELR inferred spotlight.

What kind of distances are you shooting with the laser?

Thanks,
Clint
IMG_4109.jpg

Originally Posted By: THEGUIDEVictor,
Do you find that the coyotes are spooky at all with the inferred? I have the ELR torch and have spooked a pile of them with it. I typicaly use the torch with my D-740 GEN2+ at the end of a set up just to scan and pick up a coyote that has held up at the edge.

I also have a USNV-14 GEN3 and was considering your A-ALPHA helmet with the swing arm. (I wrote you an E-Mail awile back) Instead of the milspec mount. I have a VITAL2 laser but was reluctant to use it on Coyotes because of my bad expiriances with the ELR inferred spotlight.

What kind of distances are you shooting with the laser?

Thanks,
Clint
IMG_4109.jpg

Hi Clint, nice loadouts you have there.

In regards to the spookyness, most times the yotes smell or hear most is why they spook. NO animals except for snakes can see in the IR areana, even then they see SLIGHTLY in IR. The Torch like any other IR LED does emit a faint red glow at the bezel only that a critter may see within 40 yards only if directly within a 1 deg cone at either side of the torch.

The Vital IR laser you have are VERY good and the effective range of the beam is around 600m. Realistic ranges I have bagged hogs at with a IR laser is 200 yards and in with a PVS-14 on my head. It's like a video game! :-D Hope this helps.

Vic

Last edited:
Hey Vic thanks for the reply.
I guess in all honesty all of the coyotes that have been spooked were looking directly at me and without a doubt looking into the IR lens I have the ELR illuminator mounted out on my gas block so the red light is probably what they have seen.

Like I said I haven’t tried the VITAL laser out on any coyotes but I will soon and give you an update.

Clint

Back