Best way to get a Lion without dogs?

I thought Lions liked the rough canyons,rims, rock piles etc... That is why most people never see the lions during the day.
I never herd of a lion waiting in the rocks to kill dogs?
A lot of lions will be caught in the rocks and fight the dogs, but that wouldnt mean the lion waited on the dogs to show up, the dogs catch the lion with no tree close by to climb.... just my thought on this issue.

Seems like everyone else is the expert I'm just commenting on what an old timer who's ran dogs up there for years has shared with me. I'm not one for calling him a liar cause he's been there and done that, I haven't run lions with dogs in this canyon. As far as lion behavoir, I must be the idiot but to me any animal from predator to prey can be unpredictable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CatkillerA DANA, if that looks like a Collie to you then you need to buy a book on dog breeds!Ha! Ha!

it may be also be a springer but is probably a mut... that was not my point however.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but the CDOW does not harass hunters. Every once and a while they may get a little cross with aperson, but that comes more from the public. I have never had a negative run in with an officer here in CO. Also they did not take away spring bear hunts, or trapping. The DOW had nothing to do with it. Instead they were againdt it. It was passed because voters in this state allowed it to happen. Again not the CDOW but if you were of voting age it was your fault. I was in high school when it happened and was very active trying to fight against the issue. Unfortunately when I was going door to door fellow hunters said "I do not trap, or bait, or have dogs." Simply put it was not the DOW. -t was boulder, pitkins, and eagle counties.

As far as where you hunt if it is Front Range area then the more likely issur is running dogs with so much private and so many tree huggers. Houndsmen I know say it is getting less appealing to run due to all the houses, subdivided ranches, and other people out recreating.

Walking out a lion can work. I managed to do it 2 days ago. Be prepared to walk all day if needed. Also, cold calling can work, just have to call cat country a lot. Very low chances, but it did work for me 3 years back. It is hard but fun. In all my time out I have only ever seen 5 lions in the wild total. They are awesome to watch. We watched a mother and a cub working over mole borrows. She was teaching the cub to dig the moles out. That was up the poudre canyon about 5 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Back