What causes for horizontal stringing

obaro

Was testing some loads the other day, various bullets, powders, etc. and ran across what I thought was odd. With 50 grn Win soft points I got strings that were nearly perfectly horizontal and about 2-2.5 inches across. My rifle is a Savage 10fp and is probably much more accurate than I am capable. Groups with other bullets were generally pretty decent for me, but the horizontal strings were really out of character for the whole afternoon. What say some of you on the horizontal strings?

I've taken that into consideration, but what gets me is that the strings were shot under the same conditions as other groups that were "normal" in configuration. In fact, I shot one of my personal best groups a few minutes after those groups. I'm just wondering if it has to do with bullet seating or some other step in the reloading process.

Sure could be jaker and bw, but what it was 3 different loads/test groups. The only common factor was the bullet, the 50 winchesters. The powder was 24, 24.5, and 25 grains of varget, if I recall correctly, and each group was a sideways string. Just sort of stood out to me, I guess.

Look good at the other group's. Are they also horizontal? That is usually caused by a tight spot on one side of the barrel. Could also be if it's bedded under the chamber, the bed is not square across the stock.

Look at those other group's, good bedding will give round group's even if they are bigger than you like.

Don Fisher said what I was going to say. I would do some looking into the stock, see where it is touching the barrel at. This is usually the first place to start at when your groups are going horizontal.

I've straightened out many rifles over the years, that would show the horizontal string....it was always to much side pressure on the barrel from the stock.

My 270win does the same thing when I use RL22 with a 130gr Barnes TSX. Outstanding velocity, 3,200+fps, but horizontal stringing. I took the rifle apart last year and re-bedded it hoping for a cure, but to no avail.

Changed powders to H4831SC and IMR4350, and stringing went away.

Does the stock have a pressure point at the end for the barrel? If so it sounds like the barrel is resting on a flat spot and moves horizontally after each shot. Float the barrel except the pressure point. Touch up the pressure point so the barrel fits in somewhat of a v channel to locate it, then after a few shots it will settle in.

Abstract exageration:
NO : _O_

YES : \O/

I had horizontal stringing with a Ruger M77 243. I now do this to all of my rifles with pressure points before I even shoot them.

You can also free float, but the rifle may like the pressure point. Also if you run out of material you may have to add some glass.

I use sand paper and a rod smaller than the barrel and lightly form a SLIGHT channel in the middle of the stock tip contact pad. When rifle is assembled you can hold the forearm and barrel and move to see if there is a channel or flat spot (We are not benchpressing 300 lbs when doing this). This is faint. I then punch the barrel into the stock to set it a little. A rubber mallet may work better and be easier on the hand, but I prefer the bottum of my clenched fist.

I have three rifles with pressure points that shoot sub moa. To me, proof's in the pudding.

Last edited:
The general rule of thumb for stringing is

Vertical = bedding/rifle

Horizontal = shooter/canting, etc..

Can also be caused by bullet seating depth being incorrecty for that rifle.

First check the barrel clearance.

Not the way I learned. Read about it in The Accurate Riflr many years ago. Vertical stringing is usually caused by stress in the reciever, the rear tang and front of the reciever having stress between them caused by a high spot. Horizontal stringing caused by the barrel bouncing off of one side of the barrel channel. Can be caused by bedding under the chamber not being square across. The puts uneven pressure on the sides of the barrel at that point. Have never seen bullet seating depth cause it. I usually see a group open some but the group in a well bedded rifle still has a round appearence.

just stumbled on this topic , have been reloading and smithin' for yrs., and every day is a learning process, wealth of info on this site!

Originally Posted By: Don FischerNot the way I learned. Read about it in The Accurate Riflr many years ago. Vertical stringing is usually caused by stress in the reciever, the rear tang and front of the reciever having stress between them caused by a high spot. Horizontal stringing caused by the barrel bouncing off of one side of the barrel channel. Can be caused by bedding under the chamber not being square across. The puts uneven pressure on the sides of the barrel at that point. Have never seen bullet seating depth cause it. I usually see a group open some but the group in a well bedded rifle still has a round appearence.
\
I have been reading about it for years on the Bench rest forums and magazines.. The usual causes are as I stated, but not exclusivly.

Not saying your wrong, just not what I'd learned. Now if you were canting the rifle it would seem to me that it would not string horizontally but would move the point of impact. It the point of impact is 12 o'clock and 1" high and you canted the rifle 90 degrees wouldn't the POI them be at 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock depending on which way you canted the rifle?

As for vertical stringing, stringing happens because the barrel is bouncing off of something. How does it bounch off the bottom of the barrel channel?

There could aslo be the problem of two grouping, two distinct group's with the same load. My understanding is that it is caused bu a beddinf problem also. Usually the action not being held securely in the same place each shot. Actually moving with the shot. Possibly a poorly bedded recoil lug. What do you think?

I think the OP needs to go back to the basics first.. Good bedding, and good form.. Check the bedding, Check the barrel relief. Check the screw tension. Then do a work up of his loads.. And as he stated if one brand and weight of bullet causes a problem then try something else. As you know working up a good load for a particular rifle can take time, and patience.

I also know that if you are not doing a good repeatable rest technique it can cause horizontal stringing.. I have also seen cracked bedding cause problems.. Loose scope mounts. Or any number of mechanical things..

Now I would ask the OP how the other loads printed? And what results has he seen using other brands of bullets? But I think he stated that only thios one bullet was stringing.. If he still has some bullets left test em again against a known good load.

Last edited:
Back