Fox King (not on purpose)

VMUTH

I've been trying to get a coyote for 6 months now and to no success. Of course I am on a learning curve but PLEASE!!!! I have unintentionally called in so many foxes since the end of Feb. it's not funny anymore. Today I was able to hunt so off I went with high hopes. Instead, I end up calling 5 foxes. Yes that's right 5!!! (fox season in Ca. is Nov. to Feb) And not one coyote. Should I take up golf???

VMUTH,
Are those red fox or grey's? Anyway, it is obvious that you are doing it right. You just have a lot of fox and not many coyotes.
smile.gif

You're doing a good job, man. You're calling them in well. However, you can't call what isn't there, and that happy and abundant fox population may be an indication of a relatively sparse coyote population. Either find an area where you know coyotes are about, or be happy knowing that you are doing something right.

Have to agree with Rich and Nightstalker. We don't have a lot of fox due to the high coyote population. I've trapped a couple redfox in my coyote sets but never called one in. I kinda have the reverse situation I guess. Like Nightstalker said, my guess is the high fox population might indicate a small coyote population.

Good calling to ya

All the foxes are desert gray fox. I live in San Diego ca. so the desert is my only option. We don't really have any forest or thickets where I'm at. My regular routine is to make a stand and I park myself under a tree or behind boulders. I use a J.S. cotton tail and jack distress call on tape. I also have a circe jack rabbit call that's pretty loud so I can cover more ground than the electronic call. My stands are usually 20-25 mins. I use the electronic call every time and I leave it running without any stops. Today the foxes came running when I used the fox pup distress. (4) Only one came in using the cotton tail distress.

Well shucks VMUTH,
I can't recall ever calling more than ONE gray fox in my whole life and believe me that is a long, long, longlong--long time. Guys like you are getting all the foxes, so I gotta setle for a coyote now and then.
smile.gif

Sounds as though you are gonna have to travel aways to get in to good coyote population. That is what I have to do also. Now if I just was lucky like you and my stomping grounds were loaded with gray fox-- gosh I would be kinda happy about that myself.
smile.gif
Don't worry VMUTH, you are making right sounds and your setups sound good also.

There is only one thing I would like to ask you guys in gray fox country. Do gray fox shy from human odor as much as coyotes? I remember reading a couple times that grays come pretty boldly to calls. Just a thought.

In my part of the country we do not have many foxes any more since the coyotes moved in.If you call a gray fox it will usually respond faster than a coyote.

Vmuth, the area were your hunting don't hold to many coyotes, its a good cat and fox area for sure, if I was you I'd be sure to to hunt that area starting in mid Oct. for cats and mid Nov. for fox, the season runs to the last day of Feb. like I said before, if ya want coyotes, you need to get away from them hills, you said the desert was to far for you to go, try north of you, there is coyotes there, or do I need to go down there and show you were there at? hehehehe, just joking buddy, good luck.

Danny, I would be much obliged if you could point me in the right direction as far as location. Ocotillo is the nearest point west for me to get a coyote but what about north that you had mentioned. Could you give me a location??

Thanks.

Back