Interesting Afternoon - Halle brings her own coyote in with no calling.

MOFarmBoy

I had a good afternoon in the wind and snow here today. My in laws got in late last night, and after taking my father-in-law to Bass Pro, I went out around 2:00 this afternoon for some alone time. I decided to just walk up one holler and do some calling as the wind was terrible on top. I first called where several hollers come together. There is some open ground and some hardwoods and cedar thickets within 100 yards of where I was sitting. I howled a few times and then called on my Orange Tebbe call I just got this week. Eight min in a coyote showed up beside the cedar thicket about 85 yards away across the fence. The wind was blowing from it to me, and Halle didn't see it, so I just tried to lip squeak and call a bit to bring it in. It wouldn't budge, but was watching Halle constantly. I hit the tone button for her collar, and she came to me for a minute and went down the fence where the coyote was. Halle got a little too close for comfort and the coyote came down to the fence for the introduction. Halle saw it and then they both tried to get through the fence at each other. I was calling in the meantime. The coyote ran down the fence to a ditch 50 yards away where it went under and chased Halle towards me. I woofed and yipped and it wouldn't stop and I shot it on the move at 20 yards right before it would have got my wind. I hit too far back with the .204, but another shot put it down for good.

20091226Coyote2.jpg

Here's where it got interesting for me. We headed up the holler another 250 yards with Halle messing around 50 yards in front of me. She headed to the left side of the holler smelling something when out of nowhere a coyote came streaking from the right side towards her. I dropped to my seat hoping it didn't see me. It stopped for a few seconds, looked at me and then ran back into the woods where it came from with Halle following it. I blew some distress, but it didn't show. I should have shot it, but wanted to give the dog some work. Have you all had anything similiar happen?

We moved another 150 yards where another holler meets and called again. I saw a coyote high on that same hillside in the sage grass and it came along the hill towards me. It might have been the same one. I thought it'd come to the dog, but headed for a cedar thicket. I stopped it 2 different times, but was behind some limbs and I didn't want to chance educating him with a chance shot through the timber at 250 yards with a 15 mph crosswind. I called several other spots but had no takers.

Anyway, I thought the coyote coming out of nowhere with me so close, 15 min after and 250 yards away from where we called, was interesting. I've never seen anything like that before but haven't used a dog before this year. I'm sure I'm in for much more with her.

Hope you all had a good Christmas,

David

Last edited:
very cool

Id like some info on that dog, very sharp got any more pics of her.

how big is she, and how old.

thanks

Dave

That's pretty cool. I had a pair come flying out after Gunner, while he was chasing a jackrabbit a couple of months ago. Thought it was pretty cool and my hunter was stoked. Dropped down and made a stand...they never came in.
smile.gif

I agree, she's looking good.

Tony

Thanks guys. I've enjoyed her very much so far.

Originally Posted By: kal52very cool

Id like some info on that dog, very sharp got any more pics of her.

how big is she, and how old.

thanks

Dave

There's a few more on here. Search for Halle. She'll be a year old on Friday I believe. I got her from trapper2 on the forum here. There are several other dogs on here from that litter. Tony Tebbe's Gunner is one. Ryan, help me out, isn't she 3/4 black mouth cur and 1/4 catahoula? As for size, I haven't weighed her. She's a tick bigger than the border collies my folks have if that helps. I'll put this morning's coyote up so you'll have another picture of her. These pics are from my phone. I need to start carrying a camera.

FWIW,
Halle's brother (Kobee) tips the scales @ 40lbs. I had him neutered last month and that was the weight on the bill.

He is a bit slower on this decoy thing, but he sure enjoys being with me, so I will take my time and be patient. He is an AWESOME dog, just as his litter mates appear to be.

david, yea that litter was born on the 1st of jan, so happy birthday to them all, ha. i just tell people that litter was 1/2 cat and 1/2 blackmouth so i dont have to go into it all, rebel is bm and jethro the dad was catahoula, bm, and had alittle of some others in there to, you wouldnt know it by looking but rebel has alittle greyhound in her wood pile also, devin got to see her momma and that was the frist thing he said about her was that you could see the gh in her, hope that helps

Back