R-15 firing pin

Noticing a small ping on the primer on unfired shells when the gun feeds them itself like the firing pin is exposed during loading cycle. Not very impressed at all. Is this something a guy can adjust himself? Thanks

The firing pin is free floating, it's normal and working as
designed. You might avoid really soft primers, but I don't know of anyone who has had one go off during the loading cycle.

The primer marking is generally considered to not be much of a problem however it is a little troubling. There are primers made with harder or thicker cups if you are a reloader. Plus I imagine a titanium firing pin which is lighter/less mass would mark the primers less. I haven't tried that however-just speculation. TnTnTn

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers.aspx?id=30

CCI® No. 34 and No. 41 MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS

Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a “slam-fire” can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you’re reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.
*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.

A slam fire is pretty rare, but definitely something to be aware of for anyone that shoots a gun with a floating firing pin.

Just make sure you apply the safe gun handling rules ESPECIALLY when chambering a round.

As a side note, I always slide my first round into the chamber and then lower the bolt slowly and finish it with the forward assist. Not because I'm worried about the primer denting but because if I load and unload the same round over and over (IE I'm not a very successful hunter) they get beat up. It's also quieter if I happen to be close to my stand site. It does prevent the primers from getting poked as well though.

Anybody see any downsides to doing it this way besides the inconvenience? I've haven't had a problem with it so far.

Originally Posted By: TCSA slam fire is pretty rare, but definitely something to be aware of for anyone that shoots a gun with a floating firing pin.

Just make sure you apply the safe gun handling rules ESPECIALLY when chambering a round.

As a side note, I always slide my first round into the chamber and then lower the bolt slowly and finish it with the forward assist. Not because I'm worried about the primer denting but because if I load and unload the same round over and over (IE I'm not a very successful hunter) they get beat up. It's also quieter if I happen to be close to my stand site. It does prevent the primers from getting poked as well though.

Anybody see any downsides to doing it this way besides the inconvenience? I've haven't had a problem with it so far.

My r-15 would not fire when new by lowering the bolt slowly and using the forward assist. The action was still just too tight and new. I had to let it slam forward to get it to fire. I guarantee after a bunch of rounds it'll be smoothed out enough to do just that. Just saying this as it has cost me a cat or 2..!

Originally Posted By: predator_caller

My r-15 would not fire when new by lowering the bolt slowly and using the forward assist. The action was still just too tight and new. I had to let it slam forward to get it to fire. I guarantee after a bunch of rounds it'll be smoothed out enough to do just that. Just saying this as it has cost me a cat or 2..!

That's good to know, and exactly why I ask. I wasn't sure if people's experience was different than mine.

Quote:Anybody see any downsides to doing it this way besides the inconvenience? I've haven't had a problem with it so far.

Experiment with doing it at the range and see if it works every time. The tighter your bolt lock-up is, the more you'll have to hammer on the forward assist.
If you can ease it forward and get a full lock-up every time, you're good to go.
If you drop the hammer on a bobcat and get a "click", it's a heartbreaker.

I have seen the same round chambered a bunch of times. It gets chambered at the beginning of the day taken out and put back at the top of the mag. Do a search, the military did some research on this and found that repeated chambering will actually cause a primer to become les sesative and may cause a misfire, although they were not able to give any examples of this happening. Just to be safe if I have a round that gets loaded and unloaded alot I just chuck it.

Back