First Alaskan Wolf-Story and Pictures

DesertDawg

Yesterday was one of those days that almost didnt happen for predator hunting. Sun wasn't due to be up before 9:45 and when I stuck my head outside to check for weather conditions, I was greeted with a frosty chill that was working with a slight wind. My original plan included a 30 mile journey down the local pipeline road via my quad. When I went out to the garage to load her up, the back left tire was flat and no hopes of a return. I put my thinking cap on and decided to hit the refuge that contained a series of lakes. This area would provide lots of open space for filming.

On my way to my first stand, the ice gave way and my left foot broke through the ice. My left boot filled with quickly with the refreshing crystal clear Alaskan water. Not a good start at all. Suffer and be strong! I worked my way to an area that provided a good shooting lane. I ran the FoxPro 50 yards out. I stayed on this stand for 30 minutes. No takers.

After amking my way back to the truck and drying my left boot out, I decided to hit a series of lakes I knew well from bear hunting. I stopped at the end of a three tier lake. If it was summer, you could canoe from one end to the other totally about 2.5 miles total distance. A long distance to call? Absolutely!

I setup at the end of the third lake and I put the FoxPro Prarie Blaster out 60 yards directly in front of me. I started the decoy in motion and began the sound sequence for about 5 minutes. I was in an area that I had seen several lynx tracks in so I was hoping for a cat to show itself. At the 10 minute mark, I had several crows and one bald eagle dancing 40 yards up above the FoxPro. Time passed quickly and I happened to look at my remote and it read 20 minutes of play time.

A few seconds later, I looked to my right and I saw movement coming from the break area between the second and third lake. It was dark, heavy, and moving with direct intent. I began powering the down the volume on the FoxPro. Yes, my dream of calling an Alaskan wolf had finally come true. As he broke towards the FoxPro, I fired up the video camera(yes, this was a one man show). The wolf quickly looked up and eyed the crows and eagle still playing above the caller. His run continued, but from the looks of him, I believed he had been coming from a long distance. As he got closer to the FoxPro I readied my gun while still trying to move the camera. When he got 25 yards from the Prarie Blaster I decided it was "go time". I let go of the camera and focused on the wolf. I had a hard time slowing him down for a shot. I hit my hand squeeker I had on the front end of my gun stock. Four shots range out from my .223. He never flinched or jerked. Quickly, he faded into the trees on the opposite side of the lake.

I sat there for a minute and gathered myself. I knew I saw a solid target in my mind and I played back the events that had just unfolded. Why didnt he go down I asked myself. I shut the camera down, reloaded my gun and headed across the lake. Once I broke into the tree line, I found the answer I was looking for, blood! He went about 35 yards up into the trees where I found him. He was a large pup wolf that weighed 90 pounds.

wolfpicture4.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Loren Reese

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, I hate you. LOL

And second, what a story! That is fantastic! That is a beautiful animal, and you are likely the envy of every hunter on this board. Way to go and keep us updated on future hunts.

Are you going to have the wold mounted. Very cool.

Congrats again.

Loren,
Way to go, that's a great story and hunt. Thanks for sharing the story and picture. That video will be great, put me on the list for one please.

Loren, Congratulations, big time....
thumbup.gif
...Even for a "pup", that one looks really healthy and well furred...

Are you planning on a mount, or a rug???or maybe a jacket???

Back