Savage AccuTrigger failure

Treeshepherd

Well on stand this morning, flip off safety and I couldn't get the trigger to work. The piece of metal in the trigger acted like it was sprung. Had to eject a shell and then fire and then the next one, click. Is this a common problem with the accutrigger? I like it when it works but this isn't acceptable even if it's once in a lifetime issue. Any input on this guys?

I've had mine for about six years and never had a problem, nor have I ever heard of any similar problems with any others.. You have a 'first', I think..

I would sure call the Savage Customer Service...I've always found them to be really helpful in other issues that I've contacting them about...

As far as I understand, that is a safety mechanism, if the trigger is jarred, the accu part of the trigger disengages and renders the trigger unusable. You have to reset the trigger by opening the bolt and closing the bolt.

My guess would be you are not fully engaging the sear part of the trigger, my friend had the same problem. He had to make sure he pulled the middle part of the trigger fully.

When I sighted it in a few weeks ago I never had an issue, in fact it was a pleasant experience. This morning this happened three times. Maybe I had my finger on the trigger differently since I had gloves on, who knows. This is my first accu-trigger experience so maybe it's user error. This is a Savage predator .223, which is very accurate, shooting sierra #1390 & benchmark in 1/2" groups.

Originally Posted By: Treeshepherd Maybe I had my finger on the trigger differently since I had gloves on, who knows. This is my first accu-trigger experience so maybe it's user error.

You might have figured it out. Do a test, push the trigger bar left or right and it should click making trigger depression impossible. This is the safety feature I was talking about. using oversizee gloves would do this.

Have you adjusted the trigger at all? Did you try to decrease the pull weight? Have you messed with it at all? I've heard several reports of the problem your having when people attempt to adjust the trigger pull too light. I've also heard the reports saying that if it's not pulled straight back it can also do this.

I haven't adjusted it because it was very light right off the shelf, in fact, I thought about adjusting it too make it a bit heavier. I thought I might go ahead and try that and go from there.

Somewhere on these trends I read but don't quote me on this something about the accu-trigger when its at its lightest settings it gives problems like your having and has been ruled out as a dangerous game rifle, so I read on the trends anyway who know. Everyone who hunts with them here loves them, not sure what to think, because I'm in the market to buy one in a model 10 myself.

I own a few rifles with the accutrigger and once youre used to it its a good system its very safe. The accurelease has to be fully pushed in while you pull the trigger to engage the sear. If your gloves caused the accurelease to not fully depress it could cause it to not fire. Its a double saftey not unlike the Colt 1911 grip saftey dont push it in it wont fire. If youre doing everything right i would definately get that rifle looked at. If it has the original springs and you havent changed anything you should be able to adjust the trigger as light as it will go and it will still function. Good Luck.

Mine was real light for the factory. After 250 rounds it started to not want to set. I had to tighten it up a little, no problems since. This is on a 12FV

Originally Posted By: Bluedeacon This is a safety feature Savage built in. The trigger is adjusted too light. Tighten it up a little bit and it will work fine.

+1
also if trigger is too light, when you cycle a round in the chamber too fast it will do the same thing. all you had to do in your situation was to raise and lower the bolt handle and it would of reset itself. like Bluedeacon said, tighten up the trigger a little and it will be fine.

I've never experienced this but had a guy at the range tell me about it. He says if you "milk" the trigger, pulling in on the safety part a few times without actually pulling the trigger, it will do as you describe. He has a few Savages and has replaced all of the Accu-Triggers with Rifle Basics. I've got a Model 11 and haven't had any troubles with it also have the muzzleloader with no problems. I haven't tried "milking" them but I might try it to see what happens. I could see inserting gloved finger a couple of times possibly causing this. Just one more thing to throw out there for you to check. Be sure and report back your findings however it goes.

peace.
unloaded

I've read that if they're all the way down they get a little touchy. Friend of mine has one dialed down as far as it will go, says he sees that happen coupled with having to make sure the safety part of the trigger get pushed directly back. If he pulls (pushes) it into the trigger itself it won't fire.

i havent had any issues with my 17 HMR..It fires everytime, but if you tweak it just right it wont because of the safety feature.

I pulled the the trigger on the side without fully engaging the center bar once on a Yote. I just slowly raised the bolt up and down and put the crosshairs on again-- bang -- dead Yote.

Ditto! Trigger is set too light. Originally Posted By: Bluedeacon This is a safety feature Savage built in. The trigger is adjusted too light. Tighten it up a little bit and it will work fine.

I forgot to mention Rule number 2 Don't make long shots with gloves on. Yes its cold! but your hands will be alot warmer than the Yote you just shot.

Back