R-15 .223 and 40 grain bullets?

Just curious if anyone one has had any issues with these cycling in there AR with the less recoil? Just wanted to see some opinions before buying 500 or 1000 rounds. I have shot two box with no problems and they appear very accurate. Fiocchi and Hornady are the brands I have shot and planned on getting some of the cheaper Fiocchi 40 grainers in bulk. Anyone else have any experience with Fiochi? Thanks

My R-15 with a 22 inch barrel 1/9 shoots 40, 5 0 , 55, 65 grain bullets equally well. It likes Ballistic tips as well as various Sierra bullets. I use Ramshot TAC and Rem 7 1/2 primers.
Hope this helps
Greg Harrison

No issues with either Hornady or Sierra's 40s or Berger's 30s for that matter. Don't use light loads. My fav is the Barnes BT Spitzer 45 gr. Clean kills

I should re-phrase that I meant factory cartridges in 40 grain. I had that worded very badly for what I was trying to ask. I don't reload and don't plan on it as long as I can find factory ammo cheap enough. Any bad experiences in factory 40 grainers? Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the input anyway.

Last edited:
Your rifle should cycle and lock the bolt back with 40 gr. factory loads. I've used them and they function 100%.
If they don't, you should investigate and correct until they do, because you'll be very close to having a problem with 50/55 gr. bullets at that point.
I've shot some of the UMC 45 gr. HPs and USA (Winchester) 45 gr. JHPs and they both functioned.

Last edited:
Back