58 GRAIN V-MAX in .243

hollerpoint

Has anybody reloaded any of the 58 grain v-max for a .243 ?
Would like to have some input here .Would they be to light for coyotes or stick with the 80 grain speers ?

I've got a Win. Mod. 70 Coyote that shoots the 58 gr. V-Max very well. I'm using Hornady brass, Federal 210 Match primers and 43 grains of Varget. With this combination, I've shot crows from 90 yards out to my personal best of 450 yards. I can't get the local coyotes to cooperate, but I suspect this combination would be sufficient.
Jazzball

I've used the 65 grain v maxes out of mine. I liked them. Every now and again you get a huge hole but they shoot like a
laser.
thumbup1.gif

Are you wanting to save the hide ? I like to blow big holes through them dudes. Out of my AR-15 I has at a higher angle shooting down at a coyote with a 55gr V-Max. Bullet traveled its back bone and exited bottom of its neck . It nearly took its head off. I turned corner looking for him and there he was in a huge pool of coyote blood.

43.5 gr of Varget 58gr v-max Savage 110 .243 Win. brass 210 primer Very accurate load for my rifle Only killed paper so far, but they should do the job just fine.

43.5 of Varget with whatever brass I happen to have at the time and Rem 9 1/2 primers also makes all 58gr V-MAX bullet holes touch @ 100 yards out of my Tikka T3 Lite. Only yote shot so far with this rifle was using 55gr Nosler BT's, but I think these will probably deliver even more shock (the Noslers have a more solid base so tend to keep going a little more than is even necessary or that I like really). My .02.

I used them for a while but they were moly coated and I was tired of the hassel and filth and you couldnt get them in regular copper back then. They shoot very well fom my Savage 110 then with 4064 cant remember the charge. I just couldnt break the habit of cleaning the bore.

I have shot them with great results but kiss half the coyote goodby. they are not nice when they hit but get the job done very well. if u want the coyotes VERY dead then use them.

try them with about 40 gr of IMR3031. You won't get blazing speed (only about 35-3600 fps) but you won't burn your barrel out shooting them either. Might be easier on pelts than the faster loads.

I used that load with my 700 VLS and it is an incredibly accurate load. Have had a few buddies try it and it works well for them too. The only problem I have with it is that the wind blows that light bullet at long range. I've switched to the 87 gr vmax for long range work.

Back