Bipods and POI

I Have Been Shooting With a Bypod For Three Years and I Notticed a Differant POI Here Is What I Do and The Problem Went away , I Put a Pad Or a Pice Of Old Carpet Under The Leggs and It took Care Of It Hope It Helps You It Did Me DD

Sorry for the late response, but just saw you post. And yes my bipods are mounted on all my rifles so they fold forward, not back. (It never occurred to me that someone might mount a bipod with the leg folding backward.) Hence the slight back and down pull on the forend to keep them locked and reduce jump during recoil off a carpeted bench surface.

My AR-15 (RRA A4) doesn't seem to care whether or not I am shooting with a bipod or off bags - it shoots to the same spot everytime. Ditto my .22-250. The AR-15 has a floated hand guard but the CZ is not free floated, so go figure.

I feel like the crosshairs are more stable downrange with a bi-pod than with bags and I do feel like I get better groups, though that may have as much to do with my crappy front and/or poor technique rest as anything else. I do think it eliminates canting issues from my groups, which are a technique issue.

I also slightly pull back on my rifle to load the legs, BTW

This product could eliminate all your bipod problems. Just put
a terry cloth bath towel under them on a smooth level bench and
see what happens to your POI. Just like shooting a BR rifle off
a front rest and rear bag. I use the rubber cups to protect the
the smooth bottoms of the Paws when not in use. Or you can use
them to pre-stress the legs when you lean into them. The rubber
cups will grab better due to their larger surface area.

Go To;

ZEPHYRDYNAMICS.COM

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: duck911My AR-15 (RRA A4) doesn't seem to care whether or not I am shooting with a bipod or off bags - it shoots to the same spot everytime. Ditto my .22-250. The AR-15 has a floated hand guard but the CZ is not free floated, so go figure.

I feel like the crosshairs are more stable downrange with a bi-pod than with bags and I do feel like I get better groups, though that may have as much to do with my crappy front and/or poor technique rest as anything else. I do think it eliminates canting issues from my groups, which are a technique issue.

I also slightly pull back on my rifle to load the legs, BTW

I have been following this post since it was started,,,and it was really starting to freak me out,,been misssing a few coyotes,,,,with my rem sps varmint heavy barrel 243 win,,,did my load development on a harris bipod,,and was shooting consistent sub moa with h4895 and nossler 70 grain,,and after following this post,,thought maybe this would explaining why I was missing the odd yote,,so today I went to the range and shot with bag's under my forestock grip instead of the bipods to see this difference of P.O.I.,that a lot of folks are talking about,,,,and I found no difference in P.O.I. between harris bipod or bag's CONCLUSION,,it's my fault I'm missing some yote's,,LOL
and I agree with duck911,that if anything my groups are just a lot tighter because of stability of bipods

Not every rifle will see the same difference, that's why there's no rule just suggestions
wink.gif
And the big suggestion is to try your rifle and see what it does. But if you sight in with a bipod and shoot off a bipod, you shouldn't see any difference. Sight what you shoot.

After reading this thread I was wondering if it made a diferance for me. I went to the range today and tryed with bipod and with bags and they both shoot the same. I shot 2 rounds of the bag and 3 with the bipod and I ended up with a nice tight 5 shot group. No my rifles are all free floated so that might make a diferance.

Last edited:
I was also interested to see if my predator calling/varmint rifle, typically shot off a bipod would change POI when fired off bags. Long story short my Sendero 22-250 doesn't care what it's shot off of. At 100 yds it's 1.5" high dead center off of any rest configuration I tried.

Originally Posted By: Brasshound Shooting small groups is about removing, or controlling variables.

I understand quite well that consistancy and accuracy go hand in hand, I was curious if the rifle which I normally shoot from a bipod would change POI if I fired it offhand or sandbags. I shot the same target at 100yds from bipod then off sandbags front and rear supported then supported front only, I finally fired it with my elbow on the bench as the only means of support. The group was under 1.25" total with no tendency for POI drift. Is it the smallest group I've ever fired with that rifle? Not even close but it was well under an inch before I fired with only my elbow for support and it proved to me that if I miss with that rifle, I missed and not at fault of the rifle.

I think occasionally introducing variables to practice may help your shooting.

Last edited:
Blackburn, that was a general statement for the entire thread..

So,,, Now that you know, sitting at a bench, you can shoot a 1.25 group, remove that variable, and add another one it its place. Sit down, and a set of sticks.. See what that does using same target, see what the group does after that.

Have fun....

Back