ld take feet off in a hurry.2 Today

vargy49

I am in southern ILL at Tomcats house. WE took the hounds out today. Had to be carful on where we turned the stags out cause of frozen ground and would take feet off in a hurry.
Had one hound walking a coyote down on the air port and has a bad road on the east. Jim asked for help to get it stopped before it crossed the east road,
Tomcat and I head over to help. I have the west road and south road covered. Tomcat on the east road and north side.
After about 3 crcles the hound gets the coyote a 1/4 off the north road in a chiseled field. Tomcat pulls the rope and sends them. They had it caught in another quarter.
Thier feet were in better shape then what I thought they would be.
We had another race going 2 miles north west.
The coyote was heading for the bottoms and the guys didnt want to get in the big bottoms.
I get a eye ball on the coyote with 2 hounds looking at it,
The hounds were less then a 100 yds behind. I watched the coyote go in a small brysh patch and seen another bust out the south end at the same time and that one had the after burners kicked in.
I told Tomcat that I was going to stay with the first one.
I get to the south road and could see it coming right at me.
I slow down to make sure the dogs could see it and let it cross the road and pull the rope.
All I have is my Libby stag and her sister that Tomcat owns.
Libby sucked him up in less the 200 yds. Both dogs are running close together. Tomcat pulled the rope on his coyote right when I said I had dogs on the ground.
Libby trips the coyote and it got back up and Morgen (Libbys sister) was leading and the Coyote made the brush on them.
I get them gathered up and a drink of water.
Head back up north and Tomcat is dragging his coyote out with the dogs in tow.
Started snowing and blowing so we headed home and doctored dogs up.
Heading back out in the morning.

Vargy

You have been busy vargy!
Nothing better than watching a hound do what they love!

Speaking of feet/pads, I have been treating Budros with a lotion (Gold Bond Ultimate) I use on my hands because my thumbs crack so bad in the winter. I noticed his pads were very very rough and after a few treatments they are smooth and soft again. He does spend the days outside in the snow, but we been keeping him inside at nights.
But I suppose frozen/icy ground is heck on pads no matter what.
Rick H...

Back