Left Handed Shotguns

S martin

Does anybody know where I could find a old left handed automatic 12ga or rem 1100 barrel and action. My wife is a lefty and we would like to find her something. The condition doesnt matter as long as it is funcunal. Ive looked everywhere with no luck. Any ideas would be a big help

I've shot lefty my whole life and never had a left handed gun. I've had an 1100, 1187, AR, bolt guns etc. and never felt the need. I can also say that I've never had a problem with flying hulls or casings hitting me. If you're [beeep]-bent on a left handed gun, then go for it. I'm just willing to bet a lot of money that there won't be a problem if you get her started with a right-handed one.

The problem is not with the action, most any will work. What you have to have is a left hand stock. The cast off must match your shooting shoulder. Easiest thing is to use a shotgun which comes with different shims for adjusting the stock.

Jack

Originally Posted By: S martinDoes anybody know where I could find a old left handed automatic 12ga or rem 1100 barrel and action. My wife is a lefty and we would like to find her something. The condition doesnt matter as long as it is funcunal. Ive looked everywhere with no luck. Any ideas would be a big help

Remington did not cast "on" with lefty stocks but the issue with Remington is the "safetys". Remington will not convert a right hand safety to left hand even on a standard RH 1100 or 11-87 at the factory. Unless the shotgun was origionaly manufactured as a "lefty" ejection it will obviously have a lefty safety.

Lefty 1100's or 11/87 show up on gunbroker from time to time. I bought 2 1100 from a gun dealer
12 years ago new in the box for $350.00 each and "sold" them both once I started shooting Beretta 390's.

You can also place a lefty handed Remington 1100 trigger group in a right hand ejection 1100 or 11/87 and it will work just fine.

You can change the safety on Beretta (RH to LH) yourself with out a gunsmith but it is still right in your face ejection. Most of the older Winchester super X model 1 and 1400 shotguns would alow you to convert the safety yourself...jusr read the factory supplied manuals.

Hoggy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: trimble s6I've shot lefty my whole life and never had a left handed gun. I've had an 1100, 1187, AR, bolt guns etc. and never felt the need. I can also say that I've never had a problem with flying hulls or casings hitting me. If you're [beeep]-bent on a left handed gun, then go for it. I'm just willing to bet a lot of money that there won't be a problem if you get her started with a right-handed one.

Never had a problem with them hitting me in face. But I do shoot with both eyes open, and I find all the movement distracting in front of right eye. This is especially true in the dove field, at least for me. Jack is also correct, you must fix the cast off, no matter your choice.
John

I shoot rifles left handed and I shoot my standard right hande4d 1100 just fine, and my 10/22 and my Encore. I have no left handed rifle/shotgun and I don't want one.

t/c223encore.

Im looking for a left hand ejection or a bottom ejection. I am a competition sporting clay and skeet shooter and I understan the cast off problem for leftys and i know how to fix it. what im looking for is a used gun that I can re do for her with custom wood and also trick the action and barrel out for her. I already have the wood balnks just need an old gun.

I was able to find a used left handed 11-87 for my wife. It's not easy to find them. Watch gunbroker.com and outdoor newspapers. Good luck.

Left handed Rem M1100's show up fairly regularly on www.trapshooters.com. I do not currently have one, but I think they are pretty common myself. I got a real bad case of the O/U craze going right now...
For a clean wingmaster expect to pay around $400 to $450. BTW,I do not believe you will have much luck finding a LH M1100 Remchoke bbl.
Good luck.

I'm a lefty and I can feel the pain. Right now I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle and a Benelli Montefeltro. Both have the shims to adjust cast and drop. I have had both LH 1100's and 1187's in the past and I feel the Benellli is a step or two up from them.
Charlie

Back