stakes?

Bryan8

Got rebar, now how do y'all make your stakes? I used to cut a 1 1/2 foot section and weld a washer on top but it's getting a pain to do that. Any other no weld methods?

heat up on end and bend over the eyeball on your trap chain.

However, i use the washer welding method. Probably easier then the above. And ur stake isnt permenantly attached to your trap.

Last edited:
yep, sell the rebar for scrap and get earth anchors
thumbup.gif

I cut my stakes 24" at a 45 deg angle and weld a nut and a washer on top. It allows the chain swivel to turn freely and not bind up possibly unscrewing the stake but if I cant pull it I can use a wrench and unscrew it. If you wanted to spend 22 bucks a dozen F & T Post has them. Thats my 2 pennies.

Back when I was trapping I used to take a metal chisel and split the end of the rebar. I would then heat it and flatten the split (top) with a heavy hammer to fatten the end. Then I would attach one side of an "S" hook to the rebar (use a hook big enough to spin easily on the rebar without slpping over the flattened end) and the other end of the "S" to a swivel.

I would also bend 1/3 of the stake (the end that goes into the ground first) into an "S" so it is difficult to pull out of the ground.

Not perfect but that is the way I used to do it back in the day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMdoghunterheat up on end and bend over the eyeball on your trap chain.

I personally don't suggest this method... I had some this way, not sure why, but the rebar isn't strong enough to beat directly on over much of a period of time, after being heated up and bend around making a loop for you to hammer on.. It bends the hoops around the swivel, the hammer just flats it to a slick surface the hammers just slide off, plus your holding your trap chain the whole time to keep your trap from swinging around the stake while beating it in ground. If your on any hard terrian it will just mess it up from bottom to top..

If you have to use steel stakes, a poor method to anchor. Cut them atleast24-28" long, weld a 5/8" nut on top, to use a vice grip for removal when frozen. A high Desert spear is far superior to a steel stake, it offers nearly 360 degrees of swivel action, a stake it can only go round and round. This will give the trapped coyote an easy pump out, if it fails to swivel.
The HD Spears have so much holding power, you can go with a much shorter cable, than a regular earth anchor.

Back