Jagd

kates

For those of you that have Jagds can I get contact info of some good breeders. I have talked with a few folks, but they are just raising puppies. I want a pup from working parents.

I have one 2 year old female from Dan McDonough in Wisconsin and a female pup from James Reasoner here in TX.

The 2 y/o isn't as gritty as most like their jagds. She's leggy as well. So she isn't what I guess guys would want in a go to ground dog. But she works pigs just like I want. She's very fast for a little dog and will keep pace with a pig in thickets and briars that the curs and RCDs can't get through. On hogs she works the rear end and only puts teeth on the pig to turn or stop it running. She'll pile in with the catch dogs but isn't the first to make contact. She's generally a short range dog and checks in no more than every 10 minutes. On a trail she'll maybe go 500 or so meters generally. I've never seen her range further than 1k at all. So, she's what I like for hunting pigs but maybe not what anyone else wants.

The pup I think is going to far grittier than my other jagd. Maybe more than I'd like for hogs. She'll probably have a heavier build than my other but not be as leggy. She's just starting so it's hard to tell how she'll turn out. Some of Jame's dogs are really too big for what I most terrier guys would want.

So, those are the only experiences I have with jagds. Pat Larkin is supposed to have some good jagds but I personally have no experience with them. I have no idea if either of my dogs is spurlaut as I've never even given a thought to testing them on brown hare. They are both sichlaut as all [beeep] on pigs though. Sorry I can't be of anymore help than that. Good luck on finding a pup.

Sean

Dan is a good place to get one from. I have also heard that Graws breeds some good ones if you can get one from him.
I bred mine but I dont think she is going to have more than 2 if I am lucky.

Back