facing downwind on coyotes?

howling

I hunt alone most of the time and face downwind. Everytime I ask I get mixed reviews and some say face downwind and some face upwind. I been hunting facing downwind all the time and changed my tactics and faced upwind the last 2 stands and atleast seen the coyotes. Just want more opinions on which way you face when hunting alone and is effective for you? It all probably come down to where they will show first and then the coyote will move downwind to scent the call...maybe...need opinions on the way you set up your electronic call and face and hunting flat land do you use a chair to see more or stay on the ground flat and see less?...Thank you.

In terrain where a coyote could literally come from any direction, I always face downwind. Like you, this comes from years of hunting alone.

In areas that are more defined, like hedgerows, wooded lots, etc... I setup where my scent cone is drifted just slightly off of a travel route (ditchline, field edge, etc..). I'm trying to make a coyote feel very comfortable coming into the call and tricking him into thinking he has all the cards stacked in his favor. Anytime you try forcing a coyote to do something unnatural to him, the less chances there are for some hard charging, in your face action.

In flat land, I call on my knees to get the elevation I need to see. Victim of being short.
smile.gif
"You can't shoot what you can't see" is one of the motto's that I preach.
Plus, it allows me to pivot quickly, if needed, versus having to slide my butt around. Very tricky to do on a chair.

Good topic.

Tony

You have to also take into consideration whether you are using an ecaller vs handcalls.

With an ecaller, you can place it upwind 75 yards. Then, with the wind directly in your face, you can see the downwind side.

If you are handcalling, YOU are the point source of the sound. It seems to me, if you are on a hill, you need to be pointed downwind or crosswind so you can see the coyote trying to come to the call (YOU) with the wind in his face. If you are facing directly into the wind, you can't see the most likely way they will try to approach.

Anyone disagree with my handcalling approach?

Last edited:
I usually try to set up where I can shoot downwind. I hunt alone and hand call more often than not.
Coyotes and fox will end up downwind no matter which way they approach from. If you don't shoot em first
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: MTGLet me get this straight, you guys are calling with the wind at your back?

Yep. Goes against the normal rules, eh?
smile.gif
smile.gif

Tony

Originally Posted By: GJJYou have to also take into consideration whether you are using an ecaller vs handcalls.

With an ecaller, you can place it upwind 75 yards. Then, with the wind directly in your face, you can see the downwind side.

If you are handcalling, YOU are the point source of the sound. It seems to me, if you are on a hill, you need to be pointed downwind or crosswind so you can see the coyote trying to come to the call (YOU) with the wind in his face. If you are facing directly into the wind, you can't see the most likely way they will try to approach.

Anyone disagree with my handcalling approach?

I agree with GJJ on the e-caller and hand call advice.

Not all coyotes circle to the down wind side. The areas I hunt in don't have much wind at all so the coyotes don't circle they just come straight in.

Some places I hunt with a e-caller are big flat areas so I go out of my way to drive into my stands against the wind. So the scent and vehicle sounds are going behind me. So I am calling against a slight breeze with my vehicle and scent behind me.

When using handcalls, I prefer a cross-wind but not past 9 to my left and 3 to my right. I set up my rifle on my shooting sticks basically down-wind, maybe slightly to 12 from wind. Most yotes I've call head down-wind at some point, although this is not absolute...it seems the more pressured or skeptical, the sooner they make the cut. Setting up this way generally requires the smallest adjustment to the incoming yote. I stop the yote before it hits my wind for the shot. If it will not stop, I shoot before it winds me when it's off to the races. If terrain "requires", I'll call with wind at 12 (straight at my back), be ready to shoot...take first available shot! I will ONLY call with wind in my face if I have sufficiently covered the area behind me and can have good lateral visibility. With ecaller, in cross wind place about 10 to 20 yards upwind. If I must face wind, then caller 30-50 yards upwind. If I do not have good visibility down-wind, I'll move to another location. Many other considerations factor, hope this helps.

i normaly know where the coyotes are at and i'll call to them.
if i'm calling blind i call cross wind to down wind
i make sure i can always shoot down wind,
i agree that previusly called coyotes you want to call downwind as they will go there at a greater distance. all coyotes go down wind the trick is to kill them first.
my set ups are dictated by where i can hide the truck as to where i know the coyotes are so i have to call 360 depending on the coyotes location or the area i expect them to be.
out at pathfinder i call dead down wind because they are highly pressured, other areas i go they haven't been hit hard and will come into your lap from any direction
wind speed has a lot to do with the distance they will go down wind being called before plays into this too.
i alway say face where the coyotes are but you better be able to shoot down wind then shoot them before they get there.

I think along the same lines as tony my hunting buddie have hunted facing down wind and had alot of success but we have also had some luck facing up wind. I guess it work's both ways but again facing down wind if my choice here in southern illinois.

Well, I have picked up some new info. Good thread. After reading through all the replies I can see certain situations where this would work to my advantage. A big thanks to all who replied!----Todd

Well, to add to the post, I thought I would share our story of why we started hunting with a cross wind or the wind at our backs....when I first started calling 10+ years ago this sport did not have near the information that is available now so I was like a scavenger trying to get my hands on anything I could....well, everything I got my hands on said..."Call with the wind in your face, sit still and wait".
So, I did and we had some success but there was entirely too much time sitting there blowing a call and not enough powder being burned. While we didn't think we were getting successful responses.....in all reality, I think we were and here is why.

......It all started when we had our backs up to a big patch of timber and the wind was (as they all say) just perfect....it was blowing about 5 miles per hour into our face. We had 3 coyotes coming right at us from about 200 yards away, we could see them moving through some CRP brush. Then, about 100 yards from us, they all three took a hard left and went around the field to stay in the timber....where we could not see or shoot. Eventually about a minute later, my buddy saw a glimpse of two of them directly behind us in the Big Timber and they all ran when they got our wind like you had shot them out of a cannon.

Coyotes are a wise critter and they most generally (Not ALL but a good percentage) will go downwind of the call once they get close --- In trying to stay open-minded, it is true, sometimes that happens at 5 yards....but in our area, it is more likely to happen at 50-150. It doesn't matter what direction they come from either.....once they get close, they want to circle downwind of the call to put that nose in their favor. It is the same way with deer, they generally try to walk upwind so that they can use their nose to smell us or other potential predators. Walking downwind is how you get dead....and they know that.

Therefore, from that day forward we changed our ways and our success rates have drastically increased since that time.
--- We educate less coyotes, because if they respond to the call, I get to see them. (Sometimes you might have to stop them and shoot 'em before they hit your scent cone - but your overall responses to the call should increase --- especially in areas with other hunting pressure).
--- We kill more coyotes because they are much more likely to come (they feel comfortable with the wind in their favor and they can hear the call from a lot longer distance - you are now calling with the wind instead of against it).

Tony makes some good points in terms of being smart about your stand choices -- Don't let your scent cone drift into cover for the coyotes to get in. If you do, chances are you will get a response but never see the animal.
If you can't see downwind - go to another spot.
If you are ready to shoot downwind, less movement is needed when the coyote begins to circle....most generally, a coyote is only going to spook for one of two reasons --- either he smells you or sees you move.

Here is a quick picture to look at in case you still have questions....this picture is with a North Wind and we would sit our ecaller West of us so that the coyote tries to get downwind of the call before he gets downwind of us. When using a handcall, I would sit about middle of the Green patch to make sure the coyote didn't get to my scent cone prior to me getting a good shot opportunity.
http://s745.photobucket.com/albums/xx91/...nd.jpg&newest=1

There are other pictures listed should you be interested, ultimately the concept remains the same.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!

God Bless,

Richie
TBR Outdoors

Krakkon said:
Do you guys that call facing downwind use scent blockers at all?

I use a scent neutralizer but use humans produce scent every second so you will get mixed results, but as far as cover scents like urine a coyote can smell parts per million and some are using something called misting, but not sure what that is. Pretty much if you got lots of mixed scents the coyote will still smell you downwind, but it might give you a few more seconds to shoot. I'm by far no expert so maybe these other hunters on here can help. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: KrakkonDo you guys that call facing downwind use scent blockers at all?

You can use that if you like. But a coyote will still smell you. I prefer the wind in my face.

Like everything else "coyote" related, nothing works all the time every time. I think this upwind /downwind tactic depends a great deal on where you are and how you set up.

I usually hunt with a partner, so the caller is facing upwind and the partner downwind. On the occasions when I call by myself I set up to call into the wind. I have been busted by a coyote coming in from behind, but not very often. I try to watch downwind without too much movement. The thing to consider in my case is the wide open spaces I call. I can check the backside and see a mile or two. Of course it is possible that I miss seeing one if he is in a little swale or obscured by soem feature in the lansdcape, but it doesn't happen enough to worry about it.

If you live in a trailer, you may end up with a long narrow outlook on things. If you hunt with the same people in the same way all the time, it may lead you to believe that what you are doing is "the right way".

Through my guiding I meet callers from all over the world.Some look at what I do and shake their heads, because it is so different from what they do. Their techniques are often much different than anything I have seen.

My point is sometimes downwind works and sometimes upwind works. Coyotes have a tendency to work downwind, I simply won't allow that
laugh.gif

Seriously I think it is important to try to control the situation as much as I can until the coyote is DRT. It doesn't always work the way I want, but I see some callers who stop calling when the coyote is coming in. Sometimes that works but remember his plan is different from yours, and when he decides it's time to move down wind, at that point it is difficult to change his mind set.

If on the other hand you try to keep him from going to that dark place by calling and keeping his attention at a high level, he will often come right in rather than lose the "free meal" If it doesn't work and he heads downwind, you haven't lost anything. Plan B is to get him stopped for the shot before he hits your scent cone.

Wind in the face, sun on the back= dead dog.
thumbup1.gif

How about coyote lure the one the trappers use, to spread around your ecaller 40 yards away and making sure that the dog will hit the caller (well, the lure) smell first before it hits your scent cone?
Would the lure even mask your smell?
Good info on this thread.
Happy New Year everyone

Back