Dispatching Coyotes

I shoot them in the head because when I put them up I wash all my yotes. Red fox break their neck and cats I strangle them with catch pole. Skin them on site while hot.

Last edited:
Here is how I do it, No blood at all.

Here is the coyote in the trap.
Picture139.jpg

Here I have the catch pole on him.
Picture140.jpg

Here I laid the 24" piece of 3/4" cold roll I use to hit them in the throat which kills them very quickly as it crushes there lyrnex.
Picture141.jpg

Here the coyote is dead and no blood what so ever and is a very humane death.
Picture142.jpg

Originally Posted By: TrapShooter12Originally Posted By: littlbigdI just reread this and realized you 'dont' want to shoot them in the head.

I know some trappers who bonk them on the head with a bat and then stand on their chest to suffocate them - they cant breathe with your weight on their chest. That is a humane bloodless dispatch.

This method works great. We used a long handled garden shovel to dig our dirt hole sets and used it to thump the Coyote on the head and then stand on it. It don't take much of a whack to stun the Coyote enough so that you can stand on it. +1 works great on coons and fox!

A coyote can and will survive with a conibear on its neck, I found out the hard way, well long enough to go 15-20 miles. I usually heel the chest, or 22 them

Careful, I trap out of a jeep grand cherokee. Last year I put the old ax handle between the eyes of a lg. male but was running out of time to remake the set I had to be at work on time so I left him. Came back on the way home to pick up my dead coyote only to find him live and pissed off. If I had just wacked him and put him in the jeep he would have done really bad things to inside of my suv.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: cjcoopIf I had just wacked him and put him in the jeep he would have done really bad things to inside of my suv.
laugh.gif

You need to get yourself a pickup
grin.gif
grin.gif

why not shoot them in the heart lung area from between the front legs chest area 22 short or stab it with your knife your going to cut it there when you skin it. no bullet hole

Back