WSSM barrel life

RGraff

I've been interested in a .243 WSSM on an ar platform for some time now and have been perusing Dtech's site a bit lately.

From the research I've been able to do one of the most prevalent complaints about the wssm line (.243 specifically) has been short barrel life. Anyone here with experience care to chime in?

A close second on my list of preferred calibers would be the .25 wssm followed by the 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Mike chimes in here.
smile.gif

I have a .243 WSSM in a mod 70 and one on order from dtech. Barrel life will greatly depend on your bullet choice. Stick to 75 grn and up and don't load them super hot. A match grade barrel will also extend the life of the barrel. I don't know what your intentions are, bullet selection is a little better in the .243 verses the .25. If you don't reload, wssm ammo is exspensive. If you do a wssm search on some of the forums you will gain alot of knowledge. Hope this helps, good luck.

I reload for all my rifles and this one won't be the exception. My hope was to load just the way you mentioned...heavier bullets moving at something below light speed.

I know the variables are many and it's not a fair question but...can I expect a barrel life of 1000 rounds? 2000? More?
Less?

I am by no means an expert, but if I had to take a guess (if you stick to the heavier bullets and moderate loads) somewhere around 1500+. Maybe someone with more subject specific knowledge can offer some thought.

Running the heavy bullets i dont see why a person should not get real close to the same round count as a standard 243. From the data i have read the wssm is a littler faster but not by a whole lot. Now if you went with 55grs that would shoot one out pretty quick but that would be kind of a waste if you wanted 55gr i would shoot the 223. I think the 243wssm would be awsome running 80 to 85gr bullets 95gr would be the max i would shoot. I do know awhile back this question was raised and mike him self going from my memory said out of all the rifles he has built in wssm he yet has had one come back with a shoot out barrel. Dont heat up the barrel run med to heavy weight bullets and i dont see a guy haveing a problem keep it cleaned not every round but i like to clean after 25 to 30 and even then i only use a patch no brush until it starts losseing accuracy.

Originally Posted By: deerhunterjjRunning the heavy bullets i dont see why a person should not get real close to the same round count as a standard 243. From the data i have read the wssm is a littler faster but not by a whole lot. Now if you went with 55grs that would shoot one out pretty quick but that would be kind of a waste if you wanted 55gr i would shoot the 223. I think the 243wssm would be awsome running 80 to 85gr bullets 95gr would be the max i would shoot. I do know awhile back this question was raised and mike him self going from my memory said out of all the rifles he has built in wssm he yet has had one come back with a shoot out barrel. Dont heat up the barrel run med to heavy weight bullets and i dont see a guy haveing a problem keep it cleaned not every round but i like to clean after 25 to 30 and even then i only use a patch no brush until it starts losseing accuracy.
Bullet weight and velocity have very little to do with barrel life. Barrel life is almost completely determined by the amount of powder burnt.

Jack

jack question not trying to start a pissing match or anything just wanting to understand a little more. Why dont you here warnings on barrel shoot outs on say 30-06 for example they run more powder then the wssms. I was all ways at the understanding a lot of it was do to MV after seems to be 3500 and up is where you here it will be a barrel burnner. I do understand that different cart use different burn rates of powder for a reason.

I think Jack and Deerhunterjj are talking the same thing, heavier bullet less powdie lighter more powdie. How you shoot your rifle will also play apart. Don't get your rifle too hot. I like flat base bulletes, I have spoke to some experts (which I am not) that boattails have a "blow by" which causes erosion. I am sure this will start an argument. There are so many great bullet choices for the 243 that makes it a great choice!

I also have a 243WSSM on order right now from Dtech.

Originally Posted By: BofireAmount of powder compared to bore diameter, lots of powder+small bore equals short life.
Carl
That is correct and the problem is called, Throat Erosion. That is why bench rest competitors set the barrel back and continue to shoot another 500 to 800 rounds through the same barrel. It would be hard to do that with an AR barrel due to the gas hole in the barrel.

Considering this issue, I would still buy my 243 WSSM uppers again and never look back.

Back