Skinning set up in action and a finished pelt

catsnare

Here's my skinning set up . Very crude but extreamly effective ... Makes my life easy . Yje ncoyote isn't finished ,I still have to,turn it fur out.Probably tonight before i hit the crib ...
28ixdt3.jpg

15z592x.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's using your head!! I've seen the electric winches before, but not one with a hand winch. Very nice!!
I don't know why, but I'm surprised there are raccoons up in Nova Scotia.
confused.gif

Mark

My setup is somewhat like that - only more vertical. I have an anchor in the floor of my shop with a pully chained into the rafters. It is run with a $15.00 Harbor Freight hand winch mounted off to the side. Case out the back legs and the tail, tie the hide off to the anchor by the legs and the winch will hoist the gambrel and carcus into the rafters. Just a little knife work around the head and frount legs.

"tie the hide off to the anchor by the legs"

I dont get how you are securing the front of the animal so you can pull it out by the back legs? I would really like to setup one of these in my barn. Can you help please.

What part of the animal do you anchor at the head?

I don't believe the head or front end is anchored at all. It should be a case of anchoring the skin from the back legs, just as if you were pulling down on the hide, but in this case, your pulling up on the carcass. Same rules are applied though.

I assume he is using some type of clamp on the hide. I use a golf ball on each side with a noose.

Tony

Tony is right in that the hind legs of the hide are tied off to the anchor and the hind legs of the carcus are hooked to the gambrel. The winch pulls the carcus/gambril up while the anchor holds onto the hide. The hide will be turned wrong side out as the carcus is winched up.
I have a couple of coyotes to peel tomorrow. If I've got time I'll post some pictures.

great idea, but again, how do you anchor the hide to the anchor? the legs to the gambrel is no problem but what do you use to strip it with the hand crank so that it pulls down uniformily so as not to tear the hide when casing? i'm all on it but need details....Thanx!

I don't want to hijack Catsnare's thread, but since you asked, here is my setup, as crude as it may be, it works.

Here is the anchor I set in the floor of my shop. It's nothing more than a homemade "T" bolt set in a crack in the floor. There are three chain links threaded onto the bolt to tie off to.

Skinner002.jpg

Here is a photo of a yote cased out and ready to be tied off.

Skinner001.jpg

I used a series of three or four half hitches aroung a leg, ran the "hay string" through a chain link then some half hitches around the other leg.

Skinner003.jpg

Skinner004.jpg

Next I started cranking up the yote and taking up the slack and applying pressure. Use some common scense because you can rip the hide if you pull too hard. Coyotes are pretty safe but fox and cats are really thin hided.

Skinner005.jpg

I just keep applying pressure with the winch and helping the hide peel off until I get down to the shoulders and frount legs.

Skinner006.jpg

Then with a little knife work the frount legs are free.

Skinner008.jpg

Now all that's left is to skin out the head.

Skinner009.jpg

And there you have it, turned right side out.

Skinner010.jpg

Back