22-250 V-max bullet load

shrek

Hey guys last night I loaded up 50gr V-max's with 36gr of Varget. Suppose to be 3800fps anyone shoot this load? How was the performance on coyotes? Any thoughts or tips would be great.

We have used the 50 a lot. A friend shoots that exact load. I prefer the Blitzking. Most shots are tiny entrance no exit.
The 50 shoots flat and handle the wind better than the 40. Some close broadside shots will exit large. Hitting bone can cause a splash.
high percentage of success so we stick with the 50 in both .22-250 & .223

Originally Posted By: pieeyedWe have used the 50 a lot. A friend shoots that exact load. I prefer the Blitzking. Most shots are tiny entrance no exit.
The 50 shoots flat and handle the wind better than the 40. Some close broadside shots will exit large. Hitting bone can cause a splash.
high percentage of success so we stick with the 50 in both .22-250 & .223

Thanks. I was wanting 55gr but everyone was out so I settled for the 50's. I really hope it works well.

Let us know how that load works i am looking for a load to try in my 22-250 going out south of Boise this weekend to try some loads out. hope i get some dogs to come in.

Okay will do. All I'm waiting for is my trigger guard to show up. Which I think it will be here today.(Fingers Crossed) If it is I will probably shoot it tomorrow.

I shoot a 52gr. Berger with 36.5gr. of Varget. SMOKIN'
I also was crusin' the web today and was looking at Cooper rifles on Gun Broker. All the test targets shown for the 22-250, they were using 50gr. Blitzkings and H-380. Must be bullet and powder of choice for Cooper.

My load for the 50gr V-max is 36gr of IMR4064 and when I cant find IMR I use 37gr of Varget. I've chronoed both loads and my tikka 22-250 shoots them equally @ 3750+ FPS. I dropped a coyote at 215yds with the 50gr v-max center of her chest and almost could not find the hole. Seems to be the most accurate bullet out of my tikka.

I shot the 55 gr. Nosler balistic tip. I used Varget, max was published at 36. something ... my groups puckered up at 35.6 grs and the muzzle velocity was max at 3655 fps.

Dogs melted like ice cubes on a hot day!!!!!

Sure wish my 'ole smoke pole was healed up .... I miss her!

Started keyholing all of a sudden.........

Three 44s

I use the 55 gr V-max with about that same load of Varget. It is pure heck on coyotes. That particular rifle is an older 700 varmint that is not as extreme as the modern versions and I used to shoot them as soon as I saw them. The coyote would hear that whack and freeze and then he would fall over. Nothing i've used from the 204 to a 338 Win mag has put the whack on them like this particular combination.

I've shot several coyotes with a 50 gr v-max and 36 grs of Varget out of my Tikka 22-250. Most of them resulted in a BIG hole, coming and going. They weren't fur friendly from my viewpoint, but I don't skin them anyway. This was my old prairie dog load, and don't remember the exact velocity, but was thinking closer to 3600+ fps.

Well guys I can't comment if this load is accurate or not yet. I only loaded 10 rounds (Thought that was plenty) and hit the range this morning. I have never shot this gun so everything was new. I had something strange going on and I'm not sure if its me or if temp of the gun barrel changes how these bullets shoot.

I would shoot 2 shots and they would hit right were I was aiming. (Same hole in fact) Then after 2 shots it was 1 inch high. I shot 2 more shells and still 1 inch high. I then walked out the 100yards and put up a new dot walked back and fired 2 shots. Dead on! Then fired 3 shots all 1 inch high. So I'm thinking the first two shots are warming the barrel then the rest shoot 1" high. I had some 55 grain Hollow points there and they didn't seem to do this so I'm nto sure what is going on. I'm going to load up 10 more and hit the range again and see what happens.

Any Ideas would be appreciated. Oh and each place it shot the bullets would almost go through the same hole.

Is it floated all the way?? Seems like the barrel heat is making the barrel walk in the stock?? Try floating it, can't hurt...

Originally Posted By: shrekWell guys I can't comment if this load is accurate or not yet. I only loaded 10 rounds (Thought that was plenty) and hit the range this morning. I have never shot this gun so everything was new. I had something strange going on and I'm not sure if its me or if temp of the gun barrel changes how these bullets shoot.

I would shoot 2 shots and they would hit right were I was aiming. (Same hole in fact) Then after 2 shots it was 1 inch high. I shot 2 more shells and still 1 inch high. I then walked out the 100yards and put up a new dot walked back and fired 2 shots. Dead on! Then fired 3 shots all 1 inch high. So I'm thinking the first two shots are warming the barrel then the rest shoot 1" high. I had some 55 grain Hollow points there and they didn't seem to do this so I'm nto sure what is going on. I'm going to load up 10 more and hit the range again and see what happens.

Any Ideas would be appreciated. Oh and each place it shot the bullets would almost go through the same hole.

Check your scope to see if it is slipping. tighten your receiver screws. These two conditions will cause your shots to be off.

36.0 grains out of a 24" with WLR primers gets me 3650 to 3725 fps. Smallest group was .478" but as high as 1".

The advice Swift gave about free floating all the way is good IMO. That's the only thing that made my Weatherby consistent. It would do exactly as you said, shoot 2 or 3 really tight then the next 2 would open it up to 1 1/4". I decided to defy conventional wisdom with a thin barrel and remove the pressure point. Free floating and bedding the action has made it group much more consistently. I tried everything and every load I could think of and this was the only thing that worked.

Back