Lets Talk Snowshoes!..

getemclose

Ok Fellow PM'ers, With the weather were getting hit with now, I have decided I need to give in to my stubborness (sp) and get a pair of snowshoes.

Im looking for Something quite.. easy to use.. and some that just down right perform! Im willing to spend a little extra to get a GOOD pair..

I have never owned any So some of you snowshoe vets. Fill me in!..

Thanks.

ME TOO, I have both ears open for this one. I have seen guys on here with wood ones and metal ones too. I got a price of 150 for a new pair of alluminum ones, normally 190.

Well the Mother In Law has bought the whole family, snow shoes (from LL Bean
laugh.gif
) for XMAS, we'll see what I end up with. Lee

Originally Posted By: getemcloseOriginally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEWe ain't gots snowshoes in these parts. Just cottontails and jacks...Grizz

Funny Guy!.
What ?

Aluminum isn't to bad. A family friend owns a running store and he can sit and talk about snowshoes for hours.. MSR and Atlas have models with a heel lift if you do any up hills they are SO nice.

I am kind of a traditional type. I have had a pair of Iverson Michigan trail snowshoes for about 15 years. They are still holding up very well. If you decide to go the wood route get some Bob Maki rubber bindings, quick on quick off no straps, no buckles.
Sorry I cannot comment on the modern aluminum frame shoes
Never tried them never will.

Drop into a sams club or costco, they have alum sno shoes for around $70
I have a set from SC that are great, & not noisey with ice clamps on the bottom....most do though.

Colemans has military issue magnesium for 50 bucks.
I think I am going to need a pair also, 12" last night and another 5 on the way on top of 18" 2 weeks ago!
Do a Google search Coleman's Snowshoes.
Rick H...

I have a pair of the new fangled aluminums made by redfeather, you can buy them pretty cheap at sierra trading post (on-line) less than a $100.00 for a good pair. As for noise alot depends on the snow conditions, if it is crusty then even mocassins are noisy. If you do get a pair, gaiters are a must more so with wool pants or non-water proof pants, you won't sink but they kick up snow behind you and it coats your legs.

get a good quailty WOOD/WEBBING PAIR. they are more $$ but trust me, if you hunt preditors as much as you seem to, you WILL regrett it if you buy any other kind.as they are to noisy trust me

I use a traditional wood frame snowshoe with Bob Maki rubber bindings also. I think they have a more natural sound than aluminum.They seem to have a zingy ping like an aluminum bat.I would like to try a pair of Yowie snowshoes.

I've got several pairs of snowshoes, including Iverson, both rawhide and neoprene lacing, Atlas and Yukon Charlie's.
If you go with the traditional shoes, i.e. Iverson, do not get the rawhide lacing. It is a big PITA on icy, crusty snow. The varnish wears off, the leather gets wet and stretches and then you must wait for it to dry to revarnish it before you use them again. I've learned this from experience. The neoprene lacing is far superior to the rawhide lacing and is pretty much maintenance free.

The Atlas shoes that I have are very nice and easy to use. However, while they are rated to 300 pounds, I still sink quite a bit in softer snow. Make sure to get a shoe with a good binding, plus a good crampon for traction on icy surfaces.

You may also want to consider using poles while snowshoeing. They aid in balance and can be used for other things as well.

Each shoe has pluses and minuses and I use a different shoe for different snow and terrain conditions. MI VHNTR

Link for Iverson snowshoes. A UP of Michigan company.

http://www.iversons-snowshoes.com/

Back