What power?

J_Schroeder

So i have been looking at new scopes for my model 10 predator. I wanted something like a nikon buckmaster 6-18-40. Then i started thinking i have never shot anything(deer or coyote) with my 3-9-40 over 6 power. I don't want to have to much scope either. Any help to make my decision easier would be appreciated Jeff

Last edited:
I have a 6x18x40 sitting on the gun rack. good scope, its not the scope for me hunting coyote. The recticle is to large at 200 yards the bars cover up a large coyote, blacks him out. I dropped down to the 4.5x14 without the bdc.
I leave my scope on 6 power, I am in open country and 6x is comfortable for me. I have spent years benchrest shooting with large scopes and thought I could use the extra power but now I am leaning toward a fixed power scope, if they still make such a thing.
I was born and raised in a state south of you and I hunted those hills and hollers all my life(i moved up here 3 years ago). so I know the terrain your hunting I would not consider anything larger than a 3x9 and keep it on its lowest power.That coyote can be hard to find in the scope at 100 yds. peeking thru that hooneysuckle,brair patch with the scope jacked up to 18x.
good luck,

I have a 6x18x40 nikon sitting on the gun rack. good scope, its not the scope for me hunting coyote. The recticle is to large at 200 yards the bars cover up a large coyote, blacks him out. I dropped down to the 4.5x14 without the bdc.
I leave my scope on 6 power, I am in open country and 6x is comfortable for me. I have spent years benchrest shooting with large scopes and thought I could use the extra power but now I am leaning toward a fixed power scope, if they still make such a thing.
I was born and raised in a state south of you and I hunted those hills and hollers all my life(i moved up here 3 years ago). so I know the terrain your hunting I would not consider anything larger than a 3x9 and keep it on its lowest power.That coyote can be hard to find in the scope at 100 yds. peeking thru that hooneysuckle,brair patch with the scope jacked up to 18x.
good luck,

I have several Nikon Buckmasters in 6-18X 40 w/Nikoplex reticle and would buy more. Especially like the SF. This line exceeds my expectations and meets my price points.

If by any chance you might someday shoot PDs, would caution on the target dot reticle..two(2) shooters of my acquaintance complain that it subtends too much of a PD at distance for their liking, YMMV.

+1 - Wise call and good, sound reasoning. I have two Buckmasters as mentioned. Very versatile and plenty of magnification if needed. Now if you plan to take 500 yd shots, might wanna reconsider.

I like a 4.5-14 i dont use 14 very often i run mine on 10 a lot of the time unless in short shot areas then i back down to 4.5. Heres the way i look at it. I have the higher power if i need or want it i dont have to use it but it is sure nice to have when you do need or want it.

Well the higher powers are sure nice if you are reloading and trying to work up a load to see how your gun shoots. Heck of a lot easier putting the bullets where you want them with a 14-20 power than it is with a 9 power. I also like the 4.5-14 power range scopes. And bushnell now has the Elite 6500 in the 2.5-16 power range and I have one of those and they are NICE!

I personally think the 6-18 would be overkill for a calling rifle, even out in the open where I live. On my calling rifles, I have 2-7's, 3-9's and a few 4-16's. Since your a Nikon fan, a Monarch 3-12 would be a nice compromise. The price difference between the Buckmaster 6-18 and the Monarch 3-12 is only about $30. Just something to think about. Good luck!

I have a 6-18x BM with mil-dot reticle on a 17 Fireball XP-100 i use for prairie dogs mostly and love it. I would think that the 4.5-14x mil-dot oughtta be perfect for all-around varminting.

I have a 2x7 on my calling rig and a 4.5x14 on my spot and stalk gun, both Leupolds. I'm very happy with both for their intended purposes, just depends what your going to do with them.

I suppose I'm like a few around here as I have different rifles for our Ohio groundhogs here and my Coyote rigs and they wear different glass.

I would'nt feel under glassed for a walking rifle at 3x9 - 2.5x10 with decent optics though. I own more 3x9's than any other scope.

For those who are beginning to learn, more power is better.
For those who have tried to learn for years, less power is definitely better.

Jack

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsFor those who are beginning to learn, more power is better.

Jack

O yea, +1 on that
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: perrytrailsOriginally Posted By: Jack RobertsFor those who are beginning to learn, more power is better.

Jack

O yea, +1 on that
thumbup1.gif

+2 on that.
I've been selling off my variables and replacing them with fixed, low power scopes over the last 10 years. When I was using variables, I always hunted with it set at some mid range power, like 4x, on a 3-9 scope. That has to beg the question, "If I always set the variable power at 4x, why am I using a variable? Why not a fixed 4x?"Duhhhh
grin.gif
Or a fixed 3x, or a fixed 6x?
Fixed power scopes are usually cheaper, more clear, and have less moving parts to quit working.
Makes sense to me...
So, here's 2 pix of one of my old Rem 722's in 300 Savage, with a fixed Leupold 3x scope mounted. I think it looks cool, in addition to being more than adequate for Northern Michigam Deer hunting.

DSCF0200-1.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

2X7 would work for me. However, 3X9 gives you a better selection for objective size and eye-relief. I find that an extra 1/3" of eye-relief, means more to me than magnafication.

My calling rifle favorite is the Sightron II 1.5x6x40 on my 22-204. Most of my other calling rigs, 218 Bee, 6x45mm, 6mm-204 and 250-3000 all have 1x4x20 or 1.5x4.5x20 scopes. I call and get alot more shots inside 50yrds than I have hung up at 300. I keep my scopes on the lowest power until I get that 300 yrd shot and then there's plenty of time to crank it up to 4 or 6x.

I have one rifle , a 243 that used to have a 4.5x14 on it thinking someday I'll need it, just put a really nice 3x9 on it(it still stays in the safe) and moved the 4.5x14 to a 22lr. Funny my big guns carry little scopes and my 22's have a 4.5x14, 8x32 and a straight 15x but then I shoot very small targets with them, have lots of time to aim and the targets don't move.

AWS

Last edited:
Hey hey on the lower power scopes. I'd trade off all my 3-9's for 2-7's. Infact the 3-9x on myu 25-06 I'd as soon these days have a good 6x. Then a 2-7x on my 243. Have a 1-4x on my 6.5x55 and a 2 3/4x on my 30-06.

Back