A little Christmas suprise...Contest!

cbosshog79

I wanted to wish you guys a merry Christmas and attempt to spread some Christmas joy.

I have an extra video that was sent to me by Richie with TBR Outdoors that I would like to give away for the best Christmas story. I don't care if it is hunting related or not, it could just be a cool gift or meaningful suprise that you did for a loved one.

Post your responses in this thread so that I can keep better track of what's going on and we will set a deadline of 12/31/2009 for the winner to be announced.

As always I really appreciate the contribution of our sponsors and HOB's, especially to TBR Outdoors for this little goodie...

produc1.jpg

TBR Outdoors
15813 Sugar Plum Road
Kearney, Missouri 64060
Travis Trieb - (816) 204-4628
Clay Boan - (913) 271-3508
Richie Rhea - (816) 392-9204
TBR Outdoors

I just thought I would share the excitement that my son just enjoyed. He and his older sister had been fighting ALL DAY, and we had been eating at the in-laws tonight, so when we got ready to leave I took him outside and told him" I need to talk to you. What have I been telling you about fighting with your sisters and being a brat and so on and so on" (boy was I laying it on thick), so I am walking him to his Grandpas garage and he is thinking I am gonna get my butt kicked. So I grab him by the shoulders and turn him facing towards me and away from inside the garage and I tell him (as I turn on the light) "there's your Christmas Present" and turn him around. His mouth just about hit the floor, he then begins to smile and looks at me and back at the go-kart there in front of him in complete amazement. The smile is still painted in my mind. He looked at me and back to the go-kart that was sitting in the garage for him and his sister, he did this for at least 5 minutes. He gave me a huge hug with tears in his eyes and I told him to tell his Grandpa "thanks" because he has been working on it. He had no idea about this present.
This has to be the best Christmas ever for ME, much less him. I can't wait to see him in the backyard tearing it up in the next few days.

Merry Christmas to all of you and everyone around the world. Please remember the REASON for the season, and hug your family and say THANKS.

God Bless All of YOU here,

gonzaga

That's what I am talking about Gonzaga, great story. I am taking a break from helping Santa deliver presents and will be hitting the bed soon. I'm looking forward to seeing some stories over the next few days and hope to have a good one to share myself. Have fun with your wife's and kids guys and enjoy the day, that is what this stuff is all about!

When I was a kid we'd always go spend Christmas with my maternal grandparents.

The presents were opened on Christmas Eve...And Santa would leave his goodies under the tree for us to find on Christmas Morning. The day was spent enjoying all the relatives that stopped by and visited during the day. Most of them were older ladies that I had trouble remembering their names....But, that didn't stop them from kissing me.
blushing.gif

There were all kinds of goodies to eat. At dinner we had Turkey & Dressing, giblet gravy, and sweet taters with marshmallows melted on top...(Yuck!
sick.gif
)..cranberry sauce, pecan pies, pumkin pies, chocolate cake, and my personal favorite that my Nana made every year....Whiskey Cookies! (I thought I was really commiting a huge vice by eating those whiskey cookies....I didn't know that when you baked them, the alcohol evaporated, leaving just a faint "whiskey" flavor in the cookies.)
unsure.gif

Then, the BEST part of my Christmas break happened on the following couple of days AFTER Christmas.
thumbup.gif

My Grandad would roust me out early in the morning. Usually about 4 am....He would have something to snack on for breakfast for me...PLUS a steaming cup of coffee to get my eyes opened. (Back then, that was pretty much a vice for a 9 or 10 year old, too...but, it made feel "grown up".
He'd go outside and start his old pick-up truck and let the frost be melting away while we got our rifles and ammo out and double checked everything just to make sure.
wink.gif
I had my own rifle, a hand-me-down Winchester '94 30-30, and I thought that rifle would kill anything in the world, even an elephant or a charging buffalo. I don't think I was wrong about that either. It would.

We'd go out and get in Grandads' truck and drive over to the ranch..still very dark outside. His old truck smelled like the ranch...dried oak leaves, leather, and a hint of the tobacco he smoked. I still remember those smells today. I wish I could sit in that old truck again....

We would get to the ranch just before daylight. Grandad would park just inside the cattle guard and shut the truck off, waiting on "Shooting light" as he put it...

They grey threads of pre-dawn would slowly spread from the east, and shapes would appear out in the pasture. I would try & visualize HUGE bucks under every live oak, and turn dried branches into world record antler racks.
Grandad would start the truck and drive down the road, turning off to the North on another ranch road that I knew paralled a nice, brushy canyon that was usually teaming with deer and lots of cactus & catclaw bushes.

He pulled the truck over and said "You boys get out and walk up that canyon real slow....Don't get in any hurry, and walk as quiet as you can. I'll drive on up to where the road ends and wait on you, and maybe you'll run a big buck out and I'll get a shot."

I understood the hunting plan, and my dad & I quietly disappeared into the oak trees. As we walked away, I could hear Grandads' truck slowly going up the road.

As we reached the canyon, my dad went down the slope somewhat, and told me to stay along the edge on top, and we would walk at the same pace along the canyon until we got to where Grandad was waiting on us.
We made slow, careful progress along the canyon. I know we had been stalking along there for at least 20 minutes. Nothing. Not even a doe or a yearling did I see.... I was starting to think that this drive would be a bust... Then all the sudden I heard a clattering down the canyon and heard my dad shoot twice! Blam!......Blam!!....I scrambled to get around the brush so that I could see what he was shooting at....As I cleared the trees and got a better position along the edge of that rough canyon, I heard that clattering of hooves on rocks, but they were a long way from me. just then THREE bucks appeared at the bottom of the other side of the canyon. They were heading out to go up the other side and over the opposite edge...never to be seen again....Damm! But wait! they started through a clearing, and I might get a shot! I eared the hammer back on that old Winchester and put up to my shoulder....There! I squeezed the trigger and felt the mighty kick of that powerful 30-30. The recoil messed up my view of the disappearing bucks, but to my amazement, as resounding THUMP!! echoed down the canyon and to my ears!, then the deer were gone! Damm, again! There wasn't a buck laying there kicking in the clearing....
frown.gif
I levered the Winchester and got ready if the bucks happened to show themselves again. They didn't.
bored.gif
Man, was I disappointed! But, it was exciting as well.

I wasn't so quiet or as slow as I made my way to where Grandad waited for us.

I just wanted to go to another part of the ranchto start "plan b"...

My dad & I appeared in the clearing at the same time. Grandad was waiting outside his truck. His old Savage 99 cradled in his arms. He was grinning at my dad. He congratulated my dad on a superb shot on the running buck that he'd hit from across that wild canyon. My dad said "It wasn't me, it was Barry that hit that buck!" Could it BE?!! Nah... I told them I had missed too.
frown.gif

My grandad said "No, you didn't, Boy. I saw that buck fall in that thicket over there." As he pointed to an area across the canyon.

Could it BE?

Grandad said, lets go get him!
My eagerness could not be masked as we made our way across the canyon to that unknown thicket. I didn't know which "thicket" Grandad meant, so I followed in his steps as he made his way through the brush. He stopped and said "See, Boy!... there's your buck!"

I ran forward and sure enough there was a buck laying on it's side in the brush! Cool! I leaned the Winchester against a tree and pulled his head up to inspect his antlers. One, two....Damm! he had points EVERYWHERE! TEN points! and one that was hanging down by his right ear! A droptine!
tt1.gif

My dad & grandad were patting me on the back, obviously beaming with pride.
I inspected that buck further and saw that I had hit him behind the shoulder. That was where I aiming to hit him...but, who would have thought I'd actually HIT him? I turned the great buck over and saw no exit hole...Hmmm...

Grandad told me that I'd better get my knife out and "gut him". I swiftly obeyed. I had killed a few does, and a nubbin' buck before this, so I knew my way around this part of the hunt.

After that was done, we drug him back to the truck, and loaded him in the back, covering him with a tarp.

We went ahaead and hunted until non started getting close....and we headed that old truck to the house. I kept looking back in the bed of the truck at MY buck periodically on the drive back.

When we got to the house we unloaded that buck on the browned St. Augustine grass of my grandparents front yard...My mom & grandmother came out and boy, they made a big deal out my first buck! We took pictures and drug him to the shed out back and hung him up before we partook of all the left-overs for lunch.

After we ate, Grandad & I went out back to skin that buck and cut him up. I was pretty good at skinning too, so I started that chore....
As I peeled the hide down past his shoulders, a bruised spot appeared on the offside of where I had hit that buck, and "plink"....something fell out! I looked down and that bullet was laying there on the floor of the shed! I picked it up, and washed it off. Sure Enough! it was a 30-30 bullet! (A 150 gr Remington CoreLokt).
I tucked the bullet away in my pocket and we continued our chore of cutting up that buck.

That night for supper we had fried backstrap, mashed potatoes, pinto beans, and plenty of gravy....
tongue_smilie.gif

The whole family made a big deal out having "Barry's Buck" for supper. I'm telling you, I felt pretty grown up about then. And, to tell the truth, I guess I was "growning up".....I HAD killed my first big buck!
thumbup1.gif

I still look back on that Christmas spent at the ranch......That was shortly after I had turned 9 years old.

I also still have that 150 grain slug that brought the mighy buck down, and made my "Christmas".

The memories I have of people that made sure that I had a proper upbringing are my most valuable ones. THANK YOU, Grandad! You did pretty good, yourself!

Thanks for wading through my "Christmas Story". Every word of this story DID unfold on Christmas. The one when I was 9 years old...but, more of a man than before that day.

Barry

This story was given to me by my sister afew days ago to remind us what CHRISTmas really should be about.

The best Christmas of my life:

Pa never had much compassion for the lazy or those who squandered their means and then never had enough for the necessities. But for those who were genuinely in need, his heart was as big as all outdoors. It was from him that I learned the greatest joy in life comes from giving, not from receiving.

It was Christmas Eve 1881. I was fifteen years old and feeling like the world had caved in on me because there just hadn't been enough money to buy me the rifle that I'd wanted for Christmas. We did the chores early that night for some reason. I just figured Pa wanted a little extra time so we could read in the Bible.

After supper was over I took my boots off and stretched out in front of the fireplace and waited for Pa to get down the old Bible. I was still feeling sorry for myself and, to be honest, I wasn't in much of a mood to read Scriptures. But Pa didn't get the Bible, instead he bundled up again and went outside. I couldn't figure it out because we had already done all the chores. I didn't worry about it long though, I was too busy wallowing in self-pity.

Soon Pa came back in. It was a cold clear night out and there was ice in his beard. "Come on, Matt," he said. "Bundle up good, it's cold out tonight." I was really upset then. Not only wasn't I getting the rifle for Christmas, now Pa was dragging me out in the cold, and for no earthly reason that I could see. We'd already done all the chores, and I couldn't think of anything else that needed doing, especially not on a night like this

But I knew Pa was not very patient at one dragging one's feet when he'd told them to do something, so I got up and put my boots back on and got my cap, coat, and mittens. Ma gave me a mysterious smile as I opened the door to leave the house. Something was up, but I didn't know what.

Outside, I became even more dismayed. There in front of the house was the work team, already hitched to the big sled. Whatever it was we were going to do wasn't going to be a short, quick, little job. I could tell. We never hitched up this sled unless we were going to haul a big load.

Pa was already up on the seat, reins in hand. I reluctantly climbed up beside him. The cold was already biting at me. I wasn't happy. When I was on, Pa pulled the sled around the house and stopped in front of the woodshed. He got off and I followed. "I think we'll put on the high sideboards," he said. "Here, help me." The high sideboards! It had been a bigger job than I wanted to do with just the low sideboards on, but whatever it was we were going to do would be a lot bigger with the high sideboards on.

After we had exchanged the sideboards, Pa went into the woodshed and came out with an armload of wood---the wood I'd spent all summer hauling down from the mountain, and then all Fall sawing into blocks and splitting. What was he doing? Finally I said something. "Pa," I asked, "what are you doing?" You been by the Widow Jensen's lately?" he asked. The Widow Jensen lived about two miles down the road. Her husband had died a year or so before and left her with three children, the oldest being eight. Sure, I'd been by, but so what? "Yeah," I said, "Why?" "I rode by just today," Pa said. "Little Jakey was out digging around in the woodpile trying to find a few chips. They're out of wood, Matt."

That was all he said and then he turned and went back into the woodshed for another armload of wood. I followed him. We loaded the sled so high that I began to wonder if the horses would be able to pull it. Finally, Pa called a halt to our loading, then we went to the smoke house and Pa took down a big ham and a side of bacon. He handed them to me and told me to put them in the sled and wait.

When he returned he was carrying a sack of flour over his right shoulder and a smaller sack of something in his left hand. "What's in the little sack?" I asked. "Shoes. They're out of shoes. Little Jakey just had gunny sacks wrapped around his feet when he was out in the woodpile this morning. I got the children a little candy too. It just wouldn't be Christmas without a little candy."

We rode the two miles to Widow Jensen's pretty much in silence. I tried to think through what Pa was doing. We didn't have much by worldly standards.

Of course, we did have a big woodpile, though most of what was left now was still in the form of logs that I would have to saw into blocks and split before we could use it. We also had meat and flour, so we could spare that, but I knew we didn't have any money, so why was Pa buying them shoes and candy?

Really, why was he doing any of this? Widow Jensen had closer neighbors than us; it shouldn't have been our concern. We came in from the blind side of the Jensen house and unloaded the wood as quietly as possible, then we took the meat and flour and shoes to the door. We knocked. The door opened a crack and a timid voice said, "Who is it?" "Lucas Miles, Ma'am, and my son, Matt. Could we come in for a bit?"

Widow Jensen opened the door and let us in. She had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. The children were wrapped in another and were sitting in front of the fireplace by a very small fire that hardly gave off any heat at all. Widow Jensen fumbled with a match and finally lit the lamp. "We brought you a few things, Ma'am," Pa said and set down the sack of flour. I put the meat on the table. Then Pa handed her the sack that had the shoes in it.

She opened it hesitantly and took the shoes out one pair at a time. There was a pair for her and one for each of the children---sturdy shoes, the best, shoes that would last. I watched her carefully. She bit her lower lip to keep it from trembling and then tears filled her eyes and started running down her cheeks. She looked up at Pa like she wanted to say something, but it wouldn't come out.

"We brought a load of wood too, Ma'am," Pa said. He turned to me and said, "Matt, go bring in enough to last awhile. Let's get that fire up to size and heat this place up." I wasn't the same person when I went back out to bring in the wood. I had a big lump in my throat and as much as I hate to admit it, there were tears in my eyes too.

In my mind I kept seeing those three kids huddled around the fireplace and their mother standing there with tears running down her cheeks with so much gratitude in her heart that she couldn't speak. My heart swelled within me and a joy that I'd never known before, filled my soul. I had given at Christmas many times before, but never when it had made so much difference. I could see we were literally saving the lives of these people.

I soon had the fire blazing and everyone's spirits soared. The kids started giggling when Pa handed them each a piece of candy and Widow Jensen looked on with a smile that probably hadn't crossed her face for a long time. She finally turned to us. "God bless you," she said. "I know the Lord has sent you. The children and I have been praying that he would send one of his angels to spare us."

In spite of myself, the lump returned to my throat and the tears welled up in my eyes again. I'd never thought of Pa in those exact terms before, but after Widow Jensen mentioned it I could see that it was probably true. I was sure that a better man than Pa had never walked the earth. I started remembering all the times he had gone out of his way for Ma and me, and many others. The list seemed endless as I thought on it.

Pa insisted that everyone try on the shoes before we left. I was amazed when they all fit and I wondered how he had known what sizes to get. Then I guessed that if he was on an errand for the Lord that the Lord would make sure he got the right sizes.

Tears were running down Widow Jensen's face again when we stood up to leave.Pa took each of the kids in his big arms and gave them a hug. They clung to him and didn't want us to go. I could see that they missed their Pa, and I was glad that I still had mine.

At the door Pa turned to Widow Jensen and said, "The Mrs. wanted me to invite you and the children over for Christmas dinner tomorrow. The turkey will be more than the three of us can eat, and a man can get cantankerous if he has to eat turkey for too many meals. We'll be by to get you about eleven. It'll be nice to have some little ones around again. Matt, here, hasn't been little for quite a spell." I was the youngest. My two brothers and two sisters had all married and had moved away. Widow Jensen nodded and said, "Thank you, Brother Miles. I don't have to say, "'May the Lord bless you,' I know for certain that He will."

Out on the sled I felt a warmth that came from deep within and I didn't even notice the cold. When we had gone a ways, Pa turned to me and said, "Matt, I want you to know something. Your ma and me have been tucking a little money away here and there all year so we could buy that rifle for you, but we didn't have quite enough.

Then yesterday a man who owed me a little money from years back came by to make things square. Your ma and me were real excited, thinking that now we could get you that rifle, and I started into town this morning to do just that. But on the way I saw little Jakey out scratching in the woodpile with his feet wrapped in those gunny sacks and I knew what I had to do. Son, I spent the money for shoes and a little candy for those children. I hope you understand."

I understood, and my eyes became wet with tears again. I understood very well, and I was so glad Pa had done it. Now the rifle seemed very low on my list of priorities. Pa had given me a lot more. He had given me the look on Widow Jensen's face and the radiant smiles of her three children.

For the rest of my life, Whenever I saw any of the Jensens, or split a block of wood, I remembered, and remembering brought back that same joy I felt riding home beside Pa that night. Pa had given me much more than a rifle that night, he had given me the best Christmas of my life.

Hoping everyone had a great Christmas. Dasher
smile.gif

when i was a boy i had a paper rout i worked all summer and the next school year delivering papers. the paper put 5 bucks a month into a savings account for me.
when i hit 14 i went to work for energy electric.
i took the savings and bought a bum calf,
this calf was just a black baldy but to me he was the start of a mighty cattle barons herd.
i fed him with a bottle gave him a dog collar with a tag that said T-Bone. dad and i had not fenced our property yet so i raised him in the front yard that fall.
he followed me like a dog went up the mountain hunting with me and i even told a city kid he was my coon hound when he asked "what kind of dog is that"
t-bone was growing fast as winter came on i always got up and took care of him then rode to town with dad instead of waiting for the school bus like the rest of my siblings did.
Christmas came closer and T-bone got sick i then had to give him a shot and scourer pills in the mornings.
on Christmas morning i got up earlier than everyone so i could take care of T-bone before everyone got up.
he had died in the night.
i know this wasn't the happy story everyone likes but the moral of it was told to me by my dad
"it was the joy of having him that out weighs the loss
it was Jesus that started Christmas and even though he wasn't on the earth for long we are happy to have had him as long as we did"
that Christmas i learned life's most valuable lesson

All great stories so far.

I don't have a long one, but this Christmas has been by far my best. Many of you know that my first daughter, born on December 9th, has been very ill. She was in the ICU and we almost lost her. The Doctors said that she would not be able to come home for at least 4 weeks, best case. That put her home after Christmas, which to us was a minor inconvenience as long as we were going to be able to taker her home I did not care when.

On the December 22 I was given the best Christmas present ever, Georgia was cleared to come home! Today was an incredible day at my house. We were together as a family of 5. I love my wife, and three beautiful and healthy children, there were more presents than there should have been, and I got to hold my healthy baby girl the whole time.

As I sat watching my children today I was over come with gratitude. Over the last 3 weeks there has been such a huge out pouring of love, help, prayers and support from my neighbors, coworkers, family members, complete strangers, and from member here at Predator Masters.

How lucky I am to live in the United States, where caring doctors and nurses can save the lives of our loved ones. I am also so thankful for my job that provides me with good health insurance.

I will thank God every day for the blessing he has bestowed on my family and me.

I truly know how lucky I am and I prey for those less fortunate than myself, may they find comfort and blessings this holiday season.

simple enough story, my nephew, walked in and surprised us on christmas day, coming home from his 5th or 6th( I lost count) tour over in iraq, never thought I would see as many tears as I did yesterday

merry christmas all

Waterweasle, knowing what that is like, as my cousins have done that to my family on Christmas morning almost made me tear up. What a wonderful feeling.

Wow guys, thanks for the great write-ups!

This is a great opportunity for everyone here to remember what is actually important. Stories like SalemDawger and waterweasle in particular are the perfect examples of what we all take for granted and what should really be important to us in the holiday season.

Keep up the story telling fellows, we still have some time to go...

This year has been by far the best Christmas in my household. My youngest daughter MaKayla was born a little over two years ago on May 10th, being brought into this world 4 months early and spent a total of 5 months is the NICU before we got to bring her home. For the first year she was in and out of the hospital so much she never really got to enjoy anything. We couldnt take her to any parties or even out to my parents house to open gifts be she is on oxygen and couldnt be around people at the time. A year went by and she was still way underdevolped and couldnt enjoy Christmas like my then 3 year old. She would just set in her chair and watch her sister open her presents then Marissa would open MaKaylas. While she didnt quite get the idea of Christmas or even really be able to participate she did get to enjoy playing with the toys that year. Another year passed and she is now 2 1/2 years old and celebrating her 3rd Christmas. She still has some complications such as her oxygen, her lungs are still way underdeveloped and she doesnt eat anything by mouth but for the first time since she was born she got to enjoy Christmas to the fullest extent. She woke up that morning just as happy as I have ever seen her, ready to tear into the presents with her sister. I have never seen her smile so much and it was the greatest feeling in the world. She also got to go to all the festivities and open presents there as well. When she was born she only had a 20% chance of survival but we now know that with time she will be a normal child and live a long healthy life and just getting to spend Christmas with both my girls is the best present ever. Josh

cathntr, I am so happy your little Makayla got to enjoy Christmas this year. I can only imagine how hard it would be to have to go to the NICU for five months. Two weeks was enough for my wife and I. I hope she continues to improve in the new year.

This is by-far my most memorable Christmas, not so much in a good way...lol...

From as far back as I can remember I always bugged my mom about getting me a four wheeler. And when I was about 10 I thought the world had started spinning a new direction.

Right before Christmas I would catch my dad talking about a new helmet. Or "man it will be easier to drag her deer out". OH! I had my folks figured out!

Christmas morning the only present for me under the tree was a little box. I opened it and it had a key in it. My dad said the rest was outside and too big to fit under the tree. I was more excited than I have EVER been!!! I ran outside, bare foot and in PJs, and there was a huge box at the bottom of the stairs.

There was a four wheeler under it all right....a Matel fourwheeler. I looked back up the stairs on the porch and my dad was laughing so hard he was crying. Now that I think back on it, it is pretty funny...oh, but that morning there was nothing comical about it one bit. Lol

Back