Deer load for .270

joshk1234

Just started reloading in .270 what is your favorite deer load for the caliber? Please include brass, bullet type and weight, charge type and weight, C.O.A.L., and primer.

Pretty much any 130gr. conventional design bullet over 58.0grs of H-4831 is a good place to start with a .270 Win. Personally, I like the Sierra 130 SBT Gameking. I have one rifle that likes them touching the lands and one that likes them .05" off the lands. I prefer the Fed 210 primer but am beginning to really warm up to the Russian. My brass is currently reformed Lapua .30-06. This give me enough neck thickness that I have more control over neck tension.
John

Nosler 130 B-tip 60 gr H4831(MAX in my rifle and most)Win brass and win WLR primer 10/1000ths of lands. This load has sent countless whitetails to the promise land.(THE TABLE)
Work up to this load as its hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've killed deer with .270's and 130, 140, and 150 grain weight bullets. I think I like the 140's best of all, the Hornady Interlock was accurate and terminal. My load also used H4831 and that is a standby powder for the .270 Winchester cartridge. Your rifle will let you know what weight it likes best and handloading manuals are full of reliable safe beginning loads.

Nosler 130 grain B-tip over IMR4831 has worked well for me! I forget the charge weight but the same load has shot sub moa 5 shot 100 yards groups out of 4 different rifles som far. PM me if ya want me to look it up. It was not a hot load.

My pet load that my brother and I have usd for several years with good success at the range and in the field is a 140 grain BT over 53.0 grains of Reloder19, have used both Win and Rem brass, either CCI 400 or Win large rifle primers, seated to an overall length of 3.295. This loading produces 2910 f.p.s. (according to lee loading manuel) and is probably a little less harsh on the shoulder than some of the other suggested offerings. It produces sub moa 3 shot groups out of both our Savage rifles and sighted an inch and a half high at 100, a high shoulder hold will produce backstraps everytime to 300.

GC,
I use the same and I do not give powder amounts as you need to work that out in your gun! mine is hot and moly coated
and I have used it out to 600yards on steel and killed with it at 350 yards 140 is the best of both worlds for me and my gun!

Definitely work up from 56 gr of H4831.I only got to 58gr in an old Model 721 Remington before pressure signs appeared.Load was with Remington brass,130gr Nosler B-Tip,WLR primer.Work up is sound advice.

I shot a load of 60g of H4831 with a win primer in a win case, hot load, work up to it in your rifle.

Another more accurate load was 58-58.5g of R#22 with a Fed 210 primer with the 130g Hornady flat base.

I like the 130g Hornady Flat base bullets, my rifle would not shoot the 140g Hornady which would have been my first choice.

I worked up a load with the 110g Barnes Tipped Tripple shock with 57g of Win 760(bullet .050 off the lands) that shot 1/2" three shot groups, work up to this load in your rifle. This bullet kills a large deer with authority, so does the 130g Hornady flat base and the 140g Hornady...just have some fun with your loads.

I gave up my .270 to another family member, but I always loaded a 150 nosler partition over R19 at 2850 fps. It might seem like overkill on deer, but my reasoning was that the same load served well for deer and antelope and was also just fine for elk. Sorta one size fits all. If I were starting over again with a .270 I'd go with a tsx 130 grain for a one size fits all.

Nosler 130 partition, and H4831... Work your load up from the manual.. Mine is best close to Max, but yours?? Using Fed large rifle bench primers and WW brass.. I have killed everything from antelope to canadien moose with this load.
Length - I have mine .020" off the lands.. Again you need to test to find out what works on your rifle..

I have also had good luck with IMR4350 close to max.. 4831 shows less pressure signs and is very accurate..

I've used 62.0 grains of H4831 with a NBT at 130 grains out of W-W brass and a CCI primer with good luck on mule deer and elk. That is a compressed load and works best with a drop tube into the Winchester brass. The other brands of brass did not seem to be able to hold all of the 62.0 grains.

As always, your mileage may vary so work up to what works best in your shooter.

Originally Posted By: GCI've killed deer with .270's and 130, 140, and 150 grain weight bullets. I think I like the 140's best of all, the Hornady Interlock was accurate and terminal. My load also used H4831 and that is a standby powder for the .270 Winchester cartridge. Your rifle will let you know what weight it likes best and handloading manuals are full of reliable safe beginning loads.

My sentiments exactly. I have been using my 270 for 50 years, most of that time using 130gr bronze points then Nosler BT's. Eventually went to the 140 gr bullets for a little extra edge on elk. Great caliber, I have used others, 7mm mag, '06, 375 H&H, 44 mag, 257 Bob, 243 but always go back to my 270. That rifle has put a LOT of meat on the table.

I'll be testing 140 accubonds as soon as I finish restoring my dad's '50s FN 270 rifle. That bullet would be great for antelope-elk. I have seen first hand what the 140 TSX will do to a mulie buck and really big cow elk, as that is the bullet I loaded for my buddy's 270 M700 using max load of H4831SC. I am just partial to Nosler for all my big game hunting needs but if they don't shoot, I might have to "bite the bullet" and load some Barnes.

My pet load for the 270 Win. is a IMR 4831, 130gr Ballistic tip, and Winchester brass. My load is max by the book, but shoots well out of my gun.

I also shoot the 270 WSM but use 140gr accubonds in it.

Back