Gunner runs with the BIG DOGS. Spotted 11 - Caught 1

TonyTebbe

I woke up this morning to a couple inches of snow. Rare thing in these parts. The wind was howling though, so instead of going calling, I loaded up Gunner, Mouse, and Onyx to go run some coyotes.

I went to one of my favorite ranches for spotting coyotes. This is some wide open country and you can spot a coyote from a long ways. The dogs were quite eager.

gunnermousestare1.jpg

snowranch2.jpg

snowranch1.jpg

I finally spotted a pair of coyotes heading North, and a single coyote heading South. I decided to go after the single and leave the pair for later. I had to go through two gates that had frozen chains on them. Long story short, I couldn't find him, by time I got to where he was heading.

I decided to head back and look for the pair. As I crested a small hill, I seen them but they were way off to the East. I caught the next 2 track road to cut them off. As I came up over a small hill, next to a windmill, I jumped 7 coyotes! Man, there were coyotes running off in every direction!

I made a dump with the dogs, but in the confusion I had a hard time getting them on them. They finally spotted one and lined out on him, but he already had 1/4 mile on them. Long story short, the race blew up and it was a miss. I could of used a few of you guys out there, as I was in a lone vehicle with noone to help block and dump other dogs. It's been a long time since I tried catching coyotes alone and it reminds me why good hunting buddies to help surround a section is so important. Bare in mind, this pasture was about a 5 mile square, with no real roads, like we used to have back in Illinois.

3dogstare1.jpg

I loaded the dogs up and continued on. I caught ranch road that cut through the middle of the ranch and spotted a single. He spotted me and the race was on. He was heading South, but slightly quartering towards me. I was trying to time it right for him to cross right in front of me, but he decided to cut back and angle away from me. This time, the dogs were already watching the race and were going nuts.

The coyote was a good 500 yards out there, with a fence between us, but the dogs lined out on him and the race was on. Mouse, my blonde stag, and Gunner made short order of the fence and Mouse rolled the coyote up within seconds. Gunner was right behind and put the coyote down. Onyx finally caught up, as she had a fit finding her way through the fence. They had him stretched out. Mouse and Gunner on the throat, with Onyx on the backend. I backtracked with the vehicle to find a gate that'd get me to the other side of the fence. By time I finally got out to them, they had the coyote dead.

3dogcatch1.jpg

mousegunnercatch1.jpg

I loaded them up and head home by noon. Gunner usually gets most of the photos, so here's the girl's chance.

Mouse - Saluki/Greyhound/Stag
mousestare2.jpg

Onyx - Greyhound
onyxcatch1.jpg

Tony

It was Ryan. Wish I had someone with me though. Could of really used a 2nd rig.

PS. You did a great job with the breeding of Gunner. He's not only a very sharp dog with plenty of hunt in him, but he can flat pick'em up and put'em down. He kept right up with the sighthounds and showed them how to put the shake on them.

Thanks...Tony

Nice pics and story, sounds like a blast.

I really never realized how big a greyhound really was until I saw your dogs side by side, those dogs look intense!

Merry Christmas!

Dave

yea tony before anyone picked those pups up he was the feastest of the litter when i ran them behind the 4-wheeler in the evenings, and barked with every step, does he still do that? cleo was the slowest but she does fine now, i'm glad hes working out for you, cleo is sure making a good one on coyotes and beaver too, i just got lucky on the cross i guess, ryan

Yeah, Gunner is semi-open mouthed on track. More of an excited yip than anything else, but I like it. Helps me know he's on the trail, especially for nighttime recoveries.

Here's a neat story. I had a client in this fall and we were walking to a calling stand. Gunner either jumped a jackrabbit, or it was already running, but he took after it. He started his excited yip while chasing it and 2 coyotes came from flying up on him from the brush. There they were...jackrabbit being chased by Gunner and 2 coyotes right behind chasing him. I don't know if the coyotes were already running the rabbit or if the yips got them up. Either way, it was cool.

Tony

Thanks for posting Tony!

Dang that gunner is fit!

His bro Budro has it made laying around the warm house (as I look over my shoulder and see him sleeping on his plush pillow)!
Rick H...

I noticed that picture the other day. She has a set of hams on her!
smile.gif
Her hind end looks like my pitbull's.

Like Ryan's dogs, Gunner doesn't get too many days off from hunting. I had to go back and look at his picture. His muscles are ripped in the pic, as it was the 2nd race of the morning and he was juiced up on coyote.
smile.gif

Tony

yea even the days they dont hunt, kayce or me runs them on the 4-wheeler for 3 or 4 miles, but not today ha, cleos been laying on the cough all day watching it snow and blow

how fast can those stags run?? Just curious.

cool pictures....back in the twenties/thirties my fathers dad ran coyotes in Alberta with greyhound and greyhound airdale crosses while horseback...it was one of the ways he kept the family fed.

That is way too cool that he can run that fast and put the shake down on a coyote like that. That dog is built like a bodybuilder, do you have him pulling sleds around the yard or something?lol, I noticed yesterday that Tug is getting that strip of brown on his back now. I am gonna mess with the coyote hide and a rope whenever the kids get up and open their presents.

TT I sure wish I was closer to you!! I would love to give you a hand with a back up team!! LOL Great story and some nice looking dogs!!

Vargy

Clint, My door is always open to you my friend. I've got a mess of wide open ranches that'd be perfect for running the stags. No coons around for the terriers though, but I could put them on some badgers and prarie dogs.

A Dana, I never clocked the sighthounds, but let me tell you...they are fast! Mouse is much faster than Onyx, the greyhound. She is explosively fast and catch a jackrabbit slicker than crap. Unfortunately, she was fixed before I got her...so no pups in the future. Onyx is unfixed, but I've yet to see her come in heat. She is 2 yrs old.

I just remembered that this coyote is Gunner's 199th this season. One more and he'll have 200 under his belt. Not bad for a 11 mo old pup.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Tony

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeClint, My door is always open to you my friend. I've got a mess of wide open ranches that'd be perfect for running the stags. No coons around for the terriers though, but I could put them on some badgers and prarie dogs.

A Dana, I never clocked the sighthounds, but let me tell you...they are fast! Mouse is much faster than Onyx, the greyhound. She is explosively fast and catch a jackrabbit slicker than crap. Unfortunately, she was fixed before I got her...so no pups in the future. Onyx is unfixed, but I've yet to see her come in heat. She is 2 yrs old.

I just remembered that this coyote is Gunner's 199th this season. One more and he'll have 200 under his belt. Not bad for a 11 mo old pup.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Tony

You better post lucky #200 up then too Tony!!

TT I might keep that in mind for next season. I run mine last weekend and they got beat up pretty bad. One broken toe and one pulled toe nail.
If we can get some thing set up next seasn I will have them in shape and tuned up.
I had my Terriers on a badger this spring in Idaho and was pleased on how well they handled the big boy!!
If I can bring a guy with me to help out on the gas we can probly get it done.

Vargy

Back