Found a Rifle to be Rechambered to .223 Ackley Improved

Are you getting the blued model or the model with camo on the barrel> Might make a difference to a gunsmith that wanting to rechamber your barrel. I dont know any gunsmiths that are capable of redoing camo but most can re-blue a barrel for you.
If youve got a choice, defenatly get the detatchable magazine. I really love the Savage DM system.

Blued Bbl with the flutes and yes the removable magazine. The barrel nut looks different on these will the wheeler nut wrench work on these as well if I ever decide to buy another barrel and switch myself?

A spanner wrench will work but if all else fails, a pipe wrench will work and then for a few bucks replace it with an old style to make it easier to swap barrels in the future. Ive got some old style blued nuts setting here if ya want one.

My engineer gene got the best of me so when I saw the original post I wondered if I should do that to my .223 - punch it out to be a .223AI.

Modeling the two cartridges in QuickLoad I don't see any differences (~50 fps more MV for the AI with a 55g bullet given optimized powder choices in both cartridges - all other things being equal) that would say one is going to kill a coyote (or any other animal for that matter) the other won't kill. No significant difference in point blank range. The benefit of the AI is that it will shoot over the counter ammo, but so will my .223Rem.

So, after scratching my head a bit, and noting that everybody else thinks it is a fine idea, I have to ask. Out of pure curiosity, what is the motivation to spend the bux to punch it out to AI from regular .223?

I'm just asking. If ya just "want" one because you "want" one, that works for me! I have a safe full of guns I just "wanted", and I want even more. But I was looking for a logical reason in case I missed one.

Thanks
Fitch

Last edited:
The biggest factor for me is the almost complete elimination of case stretch.

With smaller bullets Ive gained 200fps and with larger bullets Ive gained 100fps.

They shoot a little better than the factory chamber because your smith will take a lil more time to get things right compared to a factory thrown together rifle. While its off have it re crowned for even more added accuracy.

Here's a recent target from one of my 223AIs.
scan0001.jpg

Only one flyer out of 25 rounds

How does an AI get rid of case stretching?

FWIW I have a buddy pushing me real hard to dump my 223 for 22-250. But looking at the $$$ even if I was handed a rifle I don't see the reason to buy new brass, new dies, and burn more powder just get get another 40 yards to my mpbr when I can just make a 2" adjustment to my POA and do the exact same thing. I really can't see spending all the money just to get another 50fps. If I didn't have a rifle to start it would be a different animal, 50fps is still 50fps.

The shoulder angle is changed from 23* to 40*. Therefore the thrust of the propelant pushes against a steaper shoulder angle...reducing case stretch a lot. I very seldom have to trim my cases, they just dont grow. Usually the brass will be about worn out before I need to bump the shoulders back or trim necks to length.

I see many people are getting over 4000fps with the 40gr bullets from their 223AI's. 3700fps with a 50gr bullet. Thats pushing 22-250 velocities.

Originally Posted By: JBPrecisionNdIndy, going from a 223 to a 22-250 you'll gain a good bit more than 50fps

He's talking .223 to .223AI, and will still gain more than 50fps...

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote The shoulder angle is changed from 23* to 40*. Therefore the thrust of the propelant pushes against a steaper shoulder angle...reducing case stretch a lot. I very seldom have to trim my cases, they just dont grow. Usually the brass will be about worn out before I need to bump the shoulders back or trim necks to length.

I see many people are getting over 4000fps with the 40gr bullets from their 223AI's. 3700fps with a 50gr bullet. Thats pushing 22-250 velocities.

Yessir, that about says it all. My oldest lot of 223AI brass (R-P hulls) has 19 firings on it now. It's never had to be trimmed yet. Matter of fact, it's only ever had to be neck sized, it's never seen an FL die. The primer pockets are still tight and i'm not Redlining it either, 75's at 3100 and 50's at 3600-3650 were both easily attainable. I played with the 40's for a little while and they were pushing 4000fps, like you mentioned. It's not a 22-250, but it's on the heels of them and does it with less powder, less barrel heat, longer strings of fire, and better barrel life.

Even if I gained no speed over the parent chambering I'd still run an AI just so I never have to trim brass. That's the best part in my opinion.

223/223AI 243/243AI

100_2483.jpg

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote The biggest factor for me is the almost complete elimination of case stretch.

With smaller bullets Ive gained 200fps and with larger bullets Ive gained 100fps.

They shoot a little better than the factory chamber because your smith will take a lil more time to get things right compared to a factory thrown together rifle. While its off have it re crowned for even more added accuracy.

Here's a recent target from one of my 223AIs.

Only one flyer out of 25 rounds

Good shooting!

Stretch hasn't been a problem in my CZ527. It was in my .22-250 but I fixed that.

Your velocity gains are a little more than I'd have expected for a 1.0 to 1.4g increase in powder capacity, but they are certainly credible. 1.4g more powder and a steeper shoulder angle isn't going to turn a .223 into a .22-250 except in peoples minds. The accuracy you are getting is excellent.

Thanks for the reply.

Fitch

Originally Posted By: FitchI'm just asking. If ya just "want" one because you "want" one, that works for me! I have a safe full of guns I just "wanted", and I want even more. But I was looking for a logical reason in case I missed one.

With me, I had bought a new ER Shaw barrel chambered in .223 Rem almost 3 years ago. It was sitting in the box that it came in on a shelf in my garage. Three years it sat there. I had three .223 rifles. What was I to do? Took the new barrel to a local gunsmith (who happened to adore the .223 AI) and had it reamed out for the Ackley round. Last Saturday at the range it shot a few 5 shot half inch groups just fireforming ammo. I have big hopes on it wasting a few ground squirrels and praire dogs this coming year. If it dont, shame on me because I missed. With this Savage rifle as a Savage rifle I shot 6" tall ground squirrels with it at 335 yards before handing the gun to another shooter (who is on this forum) and he did the same thing with it. I think I may have called him a bad name for showing me up. But if this new barrel will shoot as good as the factory barrel that was on it I will be well pleased.

I'm just not too sure that I want my buddy to be shooting it again. May come to blows next time.
wink.gif

I have one rifle in 223AI, along with two other stamdard 223's.
All I can say it ditto to what's been said about the AI above. Youse guys will LOVE the 223 AI....
grin.gif

Merry Christmas...

Martyn

Hey rustydust, I'm looking forward to shooting that new 223AI at some squirrels this summer. I can't remember if you have my favorite scope on it, that Conquest one. I liked that rifle as a 223 and after seeing the 223AI groups last saturday, I know I'm going to like it very well.

Originally Posted By: who meHey rustydust, I'm looking forward to shooting that new 223AI at some squirrels this summer. I know I'm going to like it very well.

I may very well indeed let you fire a round or two off this coming spring. And who knows? Once again you may again get incredibly lucky and hit something with it again.

And don't forget. Your longest whistlepig shot EVER was with MY gun and MY ammo. Do you think I will ever let you forget that? Huh? Do you?
wink.gif

Back