NEED SOME HELP!!!!

mossyoak92

My friend owns a large open pasture and lets me hunt coyotes on it. There is a pond next to it surrounded by a large cedar grove with lots of brush piles and small clearings. Me and a buddy set up along a fence seperating the thicket and the pasture, but after 30 minutes decided to give up, as soon as we stood up, a large coyote that we hadn't seen loped into the thicket. How do I go after him, since he's already been spooked. I hunt with a 12 gauge Mossberg.

Last edited:
I would not give chase, wait a few days or so and go back to the spot and call again. Id change the exact spot you called from though. They are sneaky & a lot of us have had that happen. I always get up slowly and my eyes are looking eveyplace just in case.

I agree, just give him a couple weeks, then try again from a different location. Wind direction will determine your best setup. If you are using a shotgun, I'd set up next to one of the brushpiles, with my scent cone going out in the open prarie or pond. Catch a coyote come the thick stuff, trying to get around you to get your downwind.

Large cedar grove, with lots of brushpiles and clearings, in Kansas? Smells like bobcat calling to me!

Tony

hey yall, went back out a few days ago and called a whole pack into about 100 yards, still to far for my scattergun. oh well, thats how it goes! just bought a western rivers from cabelas for 75 bucks (gotta love the bargain cave) so im gonna give that a try and see if they commit.

Back