220 swift or 243 winchester

When I know long shots will be involved, I grab the Swift. Mine is a Ruger V/T from around 2001. Have shot many a jackrabbit with it. I have never owned a 243, but my 2 boys both had them. I liked the Swift a lot better, due to being able to see the smack & acrobatics that followed, ya most of that is due to the long heavy barrel.

The reason I asked 220 swift or 243 winchester is the rifle he wants to trade is shooting 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards he shoots competition and he is a good reloader but he has a scope he took off it was a burris straight 36x. I just never owned a swift and he has been shooting it alot for 3 years and who knows maybe its burned out but how would you be able to tell?

ask owner if he has a hawkeye borescope & take a peek at throat,mid bore & near muzzle...be leery of a cracked alligator hide appearance...ask him how many rounds he's shot...competitive shooters keep track...
bob addy said it best in his response...
ya gotta WANT to own a swift...it's down deep feeling...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: howlingThe reason I asked 220 swift or 243 winchester is the rifle he wants to trade is shooting 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards he shoots competition and he is a good reloader but he has a scope he took off it was a burris straight 36x. I just never owned a swift and he has been shooting it alot for 3 years and who knows maybe its burned out but how would you be able to tell?

If he used it for competion, why is he selling it? Not working as well? Moving up to a more custom? Why not just re-barrel it? Does he want to trade for your 243? If he wants your 243, he must think its better.... or the swift is not as good? Just wants a change?

If you like what you have don't get rid of it, on the hope that what you get will be as good. Adding a new addition would seem good, but not at the expense of something you already like. You can do more with a 243 than a 220.

He wants to trade because of heavery bullets and I'm only coyote hunting so either would work. I don't think he will get the 3/4 group at 300 yards if I could I would keep it. That would be a lot of reloading and trial and error. It was just a caliber I could get ahold of. Sounds like I'm not gaining anything anyway.

as for 220's being a barrel burner that's just a bunch of bull
I also shoot the other bad barrel burner 264 mag and I have been shooting them for 30 years no burned barrel yet.

Shoot it & see what it does - if the barrel is shot out, the groups will be large. If the groups are tight, I'd say you have a "keeper". Let the rifle tell you how it's doing.
Mark

Back