what gloves?

bamayote23

hello everyone!

i was just thinking, and i really need a pair of good gloves!
what i need is some very warm gloves! my hands get cold really easy, i think the doctor said something about my hands make them cold and cold fast! and it is mainly my fingers!
so i need some WARM gloves, i would also like some waterproofness in them, as i duck hunt. they dont have to be camoflaged, so a company like north face or someones gloves would be ok. i just want WARM gloves, that have some waterproofness and windblocking in them. nonbulkyness would be a plus but not a must have.
people say neoprene is really good for this, but i dont know.
thanks for your help and GOD BLESS
Luke

or would it be best to get base layer gloves and wear them inside some more gloves? like neoprene

Last edited:
Well Luke, I have never used these gloves and they're VERY expensive; but would probably work very well for you.

SealSkinz ChillBlocker Gloves. You can get them at Bass Pro Shops or probably direct. BPS price is $54.99 and come in different sizes. They are insulated with a liner made of expedition weight double velour Polartec Power Stretch fleece (7.3 oz per square yard) for maximum warmth in the most extreme conditions. LMAO, that's what the catalog says anyway:)! They have abrasion resistant dots on the palms for grip and are waterproof.

Also, from the pictures; they don't look bulky at all.

I hunt in Southern California; so a good old pair of $15 gloves are warm enough for me most of the times. But if you get THAT COLD; those gloves sound like good ones.

Their site is www.sealskinz.com.

Hope this helps some,

Arden

in all honesty the best pair I have found is typically a $12-$20 pair of wool gloves with the flip back mitten. Just keep fingers tucked away until shot. They are not water proof, but tend to stay warm even when wet. If it gets really cold out I have a light weight set of wool liners for the same gloves. I use the gloves down to the -20+ F mark.

All my life I've been on a quest for the perfect glove...it doesn't exist.

If you have an Army/Navy surplus store close, the thick green wool glove liners work well. They're also cheap enough that you can buy several. That way, if one pair gets wet, you can always have dry gloves.

Something else I've done, go to your local hardware store and check out the rubber chemical gloves. They're kind of like the rubber gloves your mom would do dishes with on steroids. If you buy them big enough, you can put them over your wool gloves and they work good for picking up decoys. Oh yea, they're pretty cheap too. (starting to see a pattern here?)I guess I'm cheap.

Wool and hot hand packets are your friend.

I agree with duckdog, I too have been on the search for the perfect glove and have been very disappointed. I have wasted a lot of money from using thinsulate lined neoprene to gortex, either they are way too bulky or the wind goes through them. The best thing I have been using the last couple of seasons is a fairly thin pair of fleece gloves that you can get at walmart for about $10 and then putting on a pair of the brown cloth jersey gloves over them. For some reason the really seem to keep my hands warm and I can still flick the safety and pull the trigger with them on. But they are not waterproof at all. Good luck.

thanks everyone! i hadnt really thaught of the wool ones. but i really like the neoprene gloves with a liner in them. they seen war, but i havent tried them yet

Just my opinion the neoprene gloves are the coldest gloves I've worn. I think I finally found the ultimate glove this year, waterproof glo-mitts from Big R. They are black. I put a hand warmer packet in the mitt part, very warm and I can still use my fingers when I need them.

I really like Artic Shields System glove. It consists of a fold back mitten that you wear a thinner glove underneath. The thinner glove is similar to a mechanics glove, so you have great dexterity. The mitten is waterproof, but the glove underneath isn't, so as long as you keep the mitten down during wet weather until the moment you need to shoot you should be fine. The great thing about the mitten is that it is open meaning that there are no separate holes for your fingers. You can basically wear any type of glove underneath them you want. In super cold weather I have worn a heavy wool glove underneath them and it worked great. When you look at them you think there would be no way they could keep your hands warm, but they do. They are the best glove I have ever worn.

Another thought is if your hands are getting cold you should also consider how you are dressing in general. If you are not layering your torso properly with the proper type of clothing that wicks moisture away and keeps you dry and warm, you will never keep your hands warm. Once your core tempature goes down, your body will automatically decrease circulation to your extremities in an effort to warm your torso where all the vital organs are. Once I figured out the proper way to layer my clothing and the correct type of clothing to wear to keep my trunk warm my hands hardly ever get cold anymore. Nor do my feet. I got away from wearing cotton clothing and went primarily to fleece and it has made a worlds of difference. Hope this helps.

Let me know if you find some good gloves. We wear really thin gloves, so we can fill the trigger. Our fingers get really cold. One of my challenges is I use a light trigger, and a thick glove keeps me from knowing when my finger is touching it. I typically stuff them in my pockets every chance I get between calling, and then pull them out when it is time to touch the trigger.

tt2.gif

Last edited:
Wool may be fine in dryer areas. In NW FL it is always damp when it is cold. Cold fronts are wet. Cotton clothes and jackets absorb moisture and are cold.
There are synthetics that don't absorb water.
Make sure that your gloves are not tight, even a little, same for boots. Don't wear cotton socks when it is real cold.
The hand warmer packets slipped in the back of your gloves works wonders when it is real cold.
The warmer you keep your core the warmer your extremities will be. Feet and hands. Wear a vest.
You loose a lot of heat from head and neck. Wear warm hat, not that baseball cap and cover your neck.
You can freeze here in clothes that keep you warm in single digit weather in a dry area.

You could cut just the trigger finger off...
Originally Posted By: BuckingTheOddsLet me know if you find some good gloves. We wear really thin gloves, so we can fill the trigger. Our fingers get really cold. One of my challenges is I use a light trigger, and a thick glove keeps me from knowing when my finger is touching it. I typically stuff them in my pockets every chance I get between calling, and then pull them out when it is time to touch the trigger.

I am a little old fashioned. I love the surplus military wool gloves at the Army/Navy store for about $3.50 a pair. When the wind blows they can get a little cold, but then I put them inside a pair of leather mittens. Or I will put one pair over another. Love those gloves. I have a pair in every coat pocket I have. When I get ready to shoot the mitten will come off. I will shoot with the gloves on. If you ruin a pair no big deal.

Originally Posted By: DstratYou could cut just the trigger finger off...

I hate it when that happens....I'll be darned, there goes another one!

Seriously. I like the Goretex/Thinsulate gloves that Cabela's markets under their name. They are warm enough for me down to about zero, waterproof and a good compromise for warmth vs still being able to feel the trigger. Ben gets a little colder and he likes the Kings TX (I think) gloves. They are thicker but still waterproof. Good luck on your search.

i just use a thin pair made by rocky (rocuy scent q)they are polyester and spandex they are a lighter glove like spandex light but they have done me good so far for the last couple of years

my favorite gloves were some I bought from walmart, they where remington gloves, they had like a neoprene top and thin soft leather on the underside, I love them, the thin leather on the bottom made it easy to shoot etc. they were nat gear camo on the top I believe, I sure wish I could find them again. I lost them somewhere,

I do have some cabelas gloves that have some thin leather on the bottom and are of a similar style but still not as good.

Bamayote,

I think I've mentioned this before, but the best hunting glove I have ever used was from a company called Berlin Glove company out of Wisconsin. They make lined and unlined deerskin gloves. The pair I wear I've used for the last 25yrs. in all kinds of weather from 30 down to a -40. Never had my hands get cold plus, I can tie knots with them on. Here's a link to some camo deer skin gloves they sell.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KNNTW2/ref=...ASIN=B001KNNTW2

I've never had any luck with wool gloves ( to slippery) synthetic insulated gloves (to bulky and slippery), cowhide gloves (to stiff and even worse when wet), those new synthetic stretch neoprene jobs (uncomfortable to wear and not very worm and again to slippery) or any other type that's on the market.

I do prefer the suede deerskin, but they are getting very hard to find.

K22

Back