New to the site,with afew question's,,,,,,,

mark williams

Greetings all: Been reading for awhile,But this my first post.
I've hunted all my life,But not yotes.Being we are getting so many around here I thought I'd maybe try it.
Reading as much as I can,& hoping to get some calls & learn to use them,Also planning on getting an ecaller.
On the callers how is the best way to know if you are doing it right?Would it be best to get the ecaller & learn the sounds of it?
Also at this early stage of the sport I don't need to get any more gun's(least the wife said that
rolleyes.gif
)
I've got a room full.LOL, Anyway I've got a nice 243 & a 22mag, From where I live most of my shot will most likely be 100yds or less,the 22mag is bad at that distance,I was wanting to save some of the pelts,But I also reload my own 243 loads,So I can load what ya'll feel the best for it.
So ? is the 22mag or the 243.Thanks for reading & any help you can give me,,,Mark
P.S. Merry christmas to each one,& God bless,,

From what I've learned the .243 is better for killing yotes I used the .243 when I started its great my brother uses 22 mag and has had good succes. the .22 mag is probably more fur friendly for close range shots up to 100 yards. He hasn't shot anything farther so can't comment on shots longer than 100 yards.

I hunt with a camera so I'll skip the firearms selection deal and point you to Varmint Al for the idea on sounds. If you google "varmint al" his site is the first one to come up. He has lot's of sound sequences you can listen to to get an idea of how you can use your e-caller.

Nothing is set in stone though! Lots of folks say start off with a nice loud bark/howl for about 30 seconds then silence for a minute or two and follow with a medium volume rabbit distress or other distress sound for a minute then silence for a couple of minutes...repeat as needed. I haven't had much luck using the howl other than locating the critters so I stick with just distress sounds when trying to get them into photo range.

Another good learning tool is you tube. Go to the search and type in coyote calling. There you will find numerous tutorials on calling. As for good calls and good deals I would check out the production calls and custom calls forums at this site. I don't think you can do better for quality or price anywhere else. I wish I had found this out earlier I have a lot of store bought calls that never leave home.

Welcome aboard Mark. Glad to see a fellow Bammer Boy on here. You hunting North, Central, or South Bama? I've been hunting coyotes for some time now, and I tell you, its addictive. I haven't even been deer hunting yet this year. That's saying alot if you could see my living room walls. As far as weapon selection, my success rate has improved alot since I started hunting the logging roads and firelanes in the woods with my 1187 equiped with a Kicks GT choke and some Remington #4 buckshot. Still have good success in pastures and hay fields with my rifles though.

Last edited:
Back