Maxus+mojo+spitfire=dead coyotes

ontario_caller

This past saturday i decided to go call a new chunk of
land that i have been eyeballing for about 2 years now,real close to another spot i have scored at in the past.
The morning broke cold,clear and quiet at -10c.
Walking in threw the crusty snow was incredably load.
My first set of about 30 mins yielded no takers.
This strip of timber is about 100 yards wide with a highway flanking its east side and standing corn flanking its west side
the timber runs north and south for several thousand yards.
As i am leaving the first stand i hear a huge racket way off in the distance.
Turns out to be the farmer combining frozen corn,i decided to use this to my advantage and use it to cover my approace sound to my next set much further into the strip of timber.
I reached my next set,and placed the mojo and spitfire at the bottom of a steep incline about 30 yards west below me and slightly to my right.
I had a 70 yard opening at my back side and then a highway the wind was coming from the north east blowing across the opening to the highway.
I waited for the combine to get to the far side of the field before i started to call.
I started out with some lonsome howls on my ruffidawg and waited a few minutes and then switched over to baby cottontail on the spitfire about 5 mins into baby cotton tail i catch movment through the trees from my left,first one then two coyotes at about 60 yards,both dogs spoted the mojo and froze up.
I lowered the volume from 3 to 2 on the spitfire and one dog came strait into the decoy,i lost sight of him for a moment below me so i flicked off the safety and rasied the shot gun up anticipating him to appear below me almost on top of the decoy.
A second latter his head and shoulders appear over the rise about 5 yards down wind of the mojo,he looks around the area and locks onto me.
Too late i shoot him in the face with a 3.5 inch load of dead coyote,DRT he slides out of site down to the bottom of the gully.
At this point i switched over to pup distress but no other takers,i think the other dog watched his buddy get smoked and booked out.
Turned out to be a nice male.
001.jpg

I did one more stand that day and then had to jet home and help the wife with some christmas stuff.
Sunday i headed north to a farm i have had past succes on and upon arriving was greeted by the farmer who told me he had a dead horse down in the north west corner and had seen several yotes lately.
My hopes were high heading to this stand.
I made my way unseen to a spot i could see the dead horse and there were no dogs there.
The horse had died along a north south running fence line about 100 yards south of a super choked out ravine.
The ravine ran strait away to the west of the fence line and i had a northwest wind blowing in so the set up would be perfect.
I suspected some yotes would be bedded up in the ravine after feeding on the horse the nite before.
I placed the mojo and spitfire about 50 yards north of me and took up a loction on the south east corner of the ravine just inside cover.
Thinking that some yotes had claimed this horse as theres i started out with a few challenge howls followed by a little coyote distress on the ruffiydawg.
About 5 mins latter i started up the spitfire with lucky bird.
One minute latter while scaning around i see a yote 30 yards west of me in the brush looking at the caller.
Holy cow where did he come from,i had just looked at that spot seconds before.
I flicked of the safety and shot him in the face with a 3.5 inch load of dead coyote,DRT.
Switched over to pup distress on the spitfire and threw another load in the shotgun.
Seconds latter i see a dawg at about 40 to 45 yards booking out through the brush i let him have it he falters but dosent fall,i let him have another and he goes down.
I continue with pup disress for another five minutes with no takers and then muted the call for about 3 mins.
No more takers so i deciced to go retrieve the dogs.
The first dog was stone dead but the second dog was still kicking so i gave him a third.
Ended up being a small female and an average male with huge teeth.
My second double ever.
0013.jpg

Did two more stands that day and on the last stand called up a young dog that never did commit to shotgun range.
Seemed to be intimidated by the mojo.
All in all a good weekend of calling on ontario.

Originally Posted By: bushpilotmexicoGood shooting....you've got to get them close to use the shotgun.
Do the land owners prefer you not to use a rifle?
No Cliff the land owners are fine with rifles but the yotes here dont like to expose themselves in the open to often during daylight.
The fields here are mostly small and the wooded areas are usually very thick and choked with brush.
I have had much better luck taking the game to them where they live and in this type of terrain the shotgun is the only logical choice.
I find i can get yotes to come to the call inside heavy cover at just about any time of day.

how did the spitfire perform? any issues with the remote,the call itself or distance with the remote?
i would like all the information you can give from the field i am on a budget,but i am considering purchasing a spitfire.
how is the volume and sound?
i would appreciate any info you can give.

Hunt Safe,Frank

Back