Garmin GPS tracking collars for hounds

DVXDUDE

well, we are in need of a new tracking system for our hounds. The old one is about 15 years old and not working as good as we like. Want to get a new system that will hopefully make it easier to find the dogs.

anyone got any info on these collars? I'm trying to find some info and reviews on these things to show my uncle (hound owner)

Well most the coonhunters i know that have em love this system only complaints i here is the range is not near as good as the reagular tracking systems but for as finding your dogs with ease i think it is awsome i my self am thinking of getting one and getting rid of some of my other systems.

Garmin Astro with the dc30 collar.
I've had one for about a year and it is first class. You can run up to 10 collars on one receiver.
I run it on my squirrel dog. He doesn't usually hunt very wide, but I can see exactly where he is all the time.
If you get one make sure you get the MapSource Topo SD card.
wink.gif

I use Garmin Astro, and still use my old Johnsons, because I don't fully trust the Garmins yet.
The Garmins are nice up close,for "knowing excactly where a dog is", but range is poor. I only get about 3 miles.

I am with Duane on this one. If it is going to be your only system then don't get it. Duane if you are getting 3 miles you are one lucky sob the most I get out of my 2 is 900 yards. I have sent them back to garmin about 6 times, I have one in there right now.
You either curse them or you love them. I curse mine more than I love it. I have 2 systems and 5 collars and have had them for over a year now.

They guys that love them are running, "close dogs",
I like mine on my decoy dogs, and also for blood trailing.
But on a long cat chase they don't cut it.
No joke, I still use my Johnsons,(with the Garmin), if nothing else, I can find my dogs.
3 mile range on the Garmin, is on the flat,when on a decoy dog, or pup, gets on a cripple that is "leavin the country." I like the system, but it needs way more range for the Houndmen.

Where I hunt there are many roads, the garmin has saved dogs on busy roads several times because we were able to get there ahead of them. We get sufficient range with them where we are but I dont have a figure for you as to how far that is. I love mine. Astro with dc30 collars

i love my garmin and would never cast a hound without one again. i run yotes, bears & coon and cover alot of terrain and cross alot of roads. the garmin has save my hounds quite a few times from being hit by cars and with the long range antenna i barely ever lose a signal.

well we run hounds in pretty populated country. I'd say the farthest the dogs usually are is about a mile. This is pretty flat country but they could be in a lot of bush or out in the wide open.

anyone have any sites on info about it? is garmin the only one being made?

thx a lot guys, you really helped out.

well turns out the signal frequency that these collars use is not open to the public in Canada. What a bunch of bull. You guys in the states get everything. I seriously hate this hippie country.

We have 6 coyote hounds here in PA and we run nothing but Garmin Astro's. We do not have a single problem with them they are amazing for knowing exactly where you dog is at. Also they are good for knowing when the coyotes are bayed or running walking sitting and so on. Like Duane and the others said they are only good for about 3 miles without the the extended antennas, but here in PA where we hunt we are really more than 1.5 miles from them without another road we can get too.

Good luck and I would strong recommend the systems. Plus Garmins customers service is AWESOME!

we literally can get miles out of our garmins. when you use the antenna that extends, that is where you get your range. the stock one is only good for short distances.

bull
what part of western pa?i live north of washington and would love to tag along with your hounds one day.i have given up calling for the yotes--seems that we call one in every 100 sets,i concentrate on grays now,but i would enjoy watch/listening a good predator chase.

man nothing like inviting myself lol

Just had a buddy that runs lions send me this message in an email.. he's not a member here, but wanted to make a suggestion.

And tell this guy to go to www.amazon.com and buy the extendable antena for that DC20 hand piece. He will get tripple the coverage with it and only costs like $60. I bought my whole set on there with 2 DC30 collars, case and the extendable antena for $715

Back