.22 lr for Coyote? Really?

Stradawhovious

In my reading, I have seen that some people are using .22lr for coyote. It seems to me that this wouldn't be an ideal choice of cartridge. It seems to me that this might not even be and acceptable cartridge, but then again, I'm not a coyote hunter yet, so what do I know.

Is there a .22lr cartridge that can be reliably take down coyote if the trigger person does their job? I'm a bit skeptical. Sorry if this is old hat, I didn't find anything in a search. Thanks!

OK, I typed out a smart a$$ answer but erased it because I actually think your serious.
I'm sure that some will say that "if" thats all you have to go for it.
As a general rule the 22 LR would not be recomended for hunting Coyote.Can you kill one with a 22LR? SURE. Can you do it consistantly and cleanly? Not a chance.
You need a little more firepower to do the job right.
Good Luck

Yeah, I'm serious. Sorry if this seems to be a rookie question, and I hope that the tone of my original post shows that I don't believe that the .22 lr is an accpetable cartridge for this application. I just didn't know if there was some magic bullet (brand/charge/bullet) that coyote hunters used on a regular basis, or if my thinking is wrong on the subject. Thanks for the input!

I'm surprised the search didn't come up with anything.

Can a .22LR kill a coyote? Yes.

Should it be used to hunt coyotes? In my opinion...Definitely not.

Originally Posted By: MoeI'm surprised the search didn't come up with anything.

Can a .22LR kill a coyote? Yes.

Should it be used to hunt coyotes? In my opinion...Definitely not.

It may not be the search, as much as the person searching. The search function eludes me sometimes.

I am aware that it is possible to take a coyote with .22lr, I just though it was unethical nad impractical. There are some other areas (forums, blogs, posts etc.) that make it seem like it is accepted common practice. I'm glad to see that it's not. (based on the very few responses so far.....)

If you have too, take good headshots and use cci stingers or velocitytors.

But simply put, no a .22lr is not a coyote round.

I get beat up a lot over this question.
Yes it can be done.
Yes it has been done and done often.
Should it be done ? Depends on a few things.

Shot placement is a key.
Limitations are another. Yours and the rifles.

I keep my shots fairly short regardless of what rifle
and caliber I'm using.

By short distance, 50 yards and under.
Shot placement - right above and just behind the ear canal.

Let the beatings begin.

Part of what hunting is all about ... are the ethics involved. All hunter's should be responsible, too.

All animals, whether their game animals or varmints, should be taken in a responsible, and humane way. It doesn't matter what cartridge a hunter feels is adequate or not! They should be dispatched quickly, with good shot placement. A hunter then must decide which caliber's are up to the task.

Originally Posted By: PecciPart of what hunting is all about ... are the ethics involved. All hunter's should be responsible, too.

All animals, whether their game animals or varmints, should be taken in a responsible, and humane way. It doesn't matter what cartridge a hunter feels is adequate or not! They should be dispatched quickly, with good shot placement. A hunter then must decide which caliber's are up to the task.

Well put and thanks.

if you half to get the aguila sub sniper ammo. it has a huge 60 grain bullet. for coons and maybe a coyote if you shot it in the head

Let me start by saying my rifle of choice for coyotes is my Rem700 in 22-250. That said, I know that a .22lr will kill at coyote at 132 yards - I did with witnesses looking on. As far as ethics are concerned firearms use is relative. My 22-250 is capable of creating a single hole with 3 shots at 100 yards but I'm still more accurate at 100 yards with my .22 than I am at 600 yards with the 22-250. The chances of an 'ethical' single shot kill at ranges beyond 500 yards are not any better than a .22 at 100 yards. Both can be done and for me at least the 'ethics' are the same. If you can kill a coyote at 500+ yards with a high power rifle you should certainly be able to kill one at 100 yrs with a comparable .22 lr. Shooting at very long ranges is mostly for the 'challenge' not the 'ethics'. I seen more people, and some excellant shots, miss more often than they kill with the first long range shot.

Like everyone else has stated alread, Possible? Sure, I used to routinely dispatch coyotes with a 22 short.... however it was at a distance of 5-6 feet and they were firmly held in a coilspring trap. Although a 36-40 grain chunk of lead drilled through a coyotes lungs will be fatal, the question I would ask myself would be, How far to I want to follow the dog in order to collect it's pelt.

It can be done. I've done it, twice. Both times the coyotes were targets of opportunity while squirrel hunting with my 22 rifle. The first was a 20-25 yard shot and I hit the coyote perfectly through the chest, it ran 50 to 60 yards before piling up. The second was at about 40 yards and I didn't make a perfect shot, and the coyote went about 150 yards before it went down. I was just about to give up the trail when I found it. Can it be done? Yes. Should it be your weapon of choice, IMHO, NO. Just not going to be a high percentage, quick and clean kill.

As you can see, most feel that the .22lr is just not a good choice when you have other rounds to choose from.

As a kid in the Ozarks, the only firearm I had was a .22lr most of the time. I did use it to dispatch feral domestic dogs that were after chickens and such and it did OK. But then, I could drive tacks with it! It was also an 18 shot semi-auto Marlin and I never hesitated with follow-up shots.

I no longer hunt with a firearm or bow but if I did, I would want to do all in my power to ensure the animal I was after went down hard and fast with one shot. A .22 cal rimfire just would not be on my list for that reason.

Tried 22LR after asking about it on here got mixed reviews so I tried it. I placed shots well but still had follow up shots sometimes 3 before going down. Rock River .223 works lot better for me.

Originally Posted By: RubenatorJust go and buy yourself a Stevens in the .223 cal. and put a descent scope on it and join in the fun! .22 rimfire is for small game!

Unfortunately, I didn't make myself terribly clear in the OP, and I apologize for that. I already have a handfull of .223 rifles, as well as other calibers. I was asking about the ethics behind the cartridge for this application, not actually considering using it for yotes myself. I have plenty of other rifles well suited for that task. Thanks for all the input though, it seems that the general consensus backs my original thoughts on the issue.

Back