Wheres the love for .224 55 gr. SP?

madvmaxhunter

939269531.jpg

I constantly notice posts concerning "should I use this or that "premium" bullet for use on coyotes" and the like. When using either a .223 or 22-250 my vote goes to the plain jane 55 gr. SP. As long as I do my part I have yet to have a mess or wounded animal I couldn't locate.

Am I just cheap?

Quote:Am I just cheap?
Nope, not at all.
I use the Hornady 55gr SP all the time. Buy 'em by the thousand.
They are accurate. I've used them on PD's from time to time.
I'm using the Hornady 55gr SP as a coyote round right now.
JMO
Mark

I love the 55g Game King SP, they were hard to find for a while, not sure about now. I also have a thousand of the Hornady SP's.

peace.
unloaded

I bought 1000 of them only to find out that gun didn't like them. None of my .223's have really liked them, but then I got a .22-250 and it likes them. They are not my favorite fur-friendly bullets.

I use 55 grain sp for deer and hogs put of my 22-250... Yet to shoot a hog [beeep] but I'm sure it will do the job.

Also going to be useing it for yotes

I bought the 5000 pack of hornadys 55gr SP, works for me.
I also have 8000 50 gr vmaxes for p-dogs.
I have 2000 55gr SP midwayusa dog towns also
They all shoot very good.

That's all I use for coyotes and cats is 55gr Hornady's or Remington in my handloads. Shoot great in both my 22-250 and R-15 .223

I have lots of love for them. I've shot them for years with 55 grn Sierra SP's I'm playing around with some 55grn Blitzkings right now just to see if I've been missing out on anything. The BK's shoot a little tighter on paper but nothing really noticable. Deffiantly perform diferent when they hit something though.

Tim

For those of you that are shooting deer with these bullets, where are you shooting them? Head/neck shots to in the heart/lung area?

I have been looking real hard at the 65 gr sp for my ar (16" 9 twist) for coyotes and deer (maybe) and have almost shot up the remainder of ammo I have. It is getting down to crunch time on making a decision.

B

Usually heart n lungs but Ive taken a few neck shots too. I purchased some 65gr Sierras too but havent tried them yet. The 60gr partitions do a great job on deer too but they arent as accurate in my rifles as the 55's are.

I use federal power shok 55 grain soft points in my 22-250 and Put the bullet right behind the shoulder for a lung/heart shot

it drops the deer within a few steps

They shoot great for me but have not been fur friendly out of the 22-250. I imaagine out of the 223 would be better. The Rem PLHP has been better for cheap bullets but they are not that cheap anymore.

Last edited:
I have used a number of different bullets over the years. I have finally settled in at the Sierra #1365 55 grain SBT out of my 223. Very fur friendly and drops them in their tracks. I have used it on over 50 dogs with none lost to date ranging from 30 yards to 334 yards. 3300 fps seems to be the magic velocity.

Back