Byron and Tanner souths 09 deer

Byron South

I grew up in the edge of the Texas panhandle and back then (late 70's early 80's) there weren't many deer. In fact there we so few that hardly anyone at all hunted them. Boy how things have changed since then. Now just about every property out there has a strong population of deer. In fact now most every property is leased to deer hunters from everywhere. I used to be able to hunt coyotes just about anywhere out there by just making a phone call or two. Not anymore. Through the years though I've maintained good relations with several ranchers and farmers in the area and still have access to hunt some pretty good properties (mostly for coyotes though after deer season).

One property though is owned by an older gentleman that has no desire to lease his land. Although he has always let me hunt everytime I've asked he won't even consider leasing it to me. All he wants is deer jerky if I kill a deer. I figure this is a pretty good trade but would rather lease the land. This way I could put up some stands and a feeder or two. This would make it a little easier for me to take my wife and kids to hunt. As it stands now though I have no stands and have to ask for permission each time I go. He won't give me a key to the gate but will go unlock it when I'm coming and comes out and locks it back when I leave.

I now live in East Texas and the deer hunting in my immediate area is pretty tough. You can hunt for a solid week and never even see a deer. We have feeders and cameras out but the only activity and pictures we get on our cameras is at night. Rarely do we see a deer during the day on our place here.

This year Tanner (10) was bound and determined to get his first deer. We hunted for several days and just couldn't put it together. I then decided it was time to call my buddy out West and ask if I could bring my family out to try for a deer. He said sure and that he would go unlock the gate for us.

I've hunted the place for several years and know the property (1200 acres) very well. Although I've mostly hunted it for coyotes I had a pretty good grasp of how we might set up for deer. Without stands we would have to do a little scouting and make some improvised blinds to get Tanner on a nice buck. This was a great experience for Tanner and he and I both enjoyed it.

On the second evening things came together and Tanner made a great shot on his first buck. He was using my R-15 shooting 62 grain core-lokt bullets. Tanner patiently waited for the buck to present a good shot. At 140 yards the buck turned perfect and Tanner placed the shot right behind the shoulder. At the shot the buck made it about 40 yards before piling up. Tanner's first buck was down for the count.

_DSC2030.jpg

TannersQuanahDeer.jpg

While we were hunting and scouting we had seen a large buck crossing a fence row several times chasing a doe. Even at 5-800 yards we could tell he was BIG. After Tanner killed his deer I had only the next morning to hunt and see if could get on this big deer before we had to head home.

As the sun came up the final morning the fog rolled in. It was thick as soup and you couldn't see 30 yards. For most of the morning the fog was really bad and I only caught a glimpse of the big buck but he never offered a good shot. As we packed and left I told my wife if I had just one more day I believe I could kill this buck.

While back home all I could think of was trying to find time to get back up there to try for that buck. Sure enough I found some time and last weekend me and my wife and I headed back up there. Saturdy morning found us out there again. We saw lots of deer that morning and another very impressive buck but he was standing across the fence on another property nosing a doe around. Even though it was very tempting all we could do was watch him as he faded away. Then it occured to me he was headed for another property that I have access too. We quickly retreated to the truck and drove around to the other property and snuck down as close to where we thought he was headed. He was nowhere to be found. I then began to rattle and grunt a little in hopes of calling him in ( you know me :)). After about twenty minutes we had decided he was not taking the bait and decided to head a little deeper. Bad move. We got up and only went a few yards until we bumped into him headed right for us. This was a VERY nice buck too.

Well that afternoon I decided to head back to where Tanner and I had seen the big buck before. We had also found some large rubs there too. I set up in the fence row about 2-300 yards from where I thought he would cross. At about an hour before dark he appeared right on cue and I was ready. I had already ranged it and new he was right past the 300 yard mark. With the Nikon BDC reticle I just placed the 300 reference circle on his chest and squeezed the trigger. The rewarding sound of the 30-06's 168 grain core-lokt ultra thudded back to my ears with clear evidence of a solid hit. The buck stumbled and then went down. Yep, one more day is all I needed.

The buck grossed 153 2/8 and I guess him to be 5 1/2 years old.

1-Copy-1.jpg

Thanks for reading my story.

Good Hunting, and God Bless,

Byron

Byron- good to see you posting some. Some very nice bucks too. I know what you mean about the challeng of getting the kids a shot. Thanksgiving week I was able to take my kids out and they both scored on does (Erin one and Hunter two). They both are ready to kill a buck though, so I will be looking for a lease this year.

I also have the same problem with most all of my coyote calling areas being a deer leases, so this limits my calling time to AFTER deer season. With several being Level 3 MLD that makes the end of deer season the last day of Feb. which shortens my coyote season considerably.

I'm still looking for a buck as big as the one you have your hands around. Very nice!

That smile in those first two pictures says it all. Way to go Tanner and way to go Dad!!

Byron how is your daughter doing??? Havent seen any news about her in awhile now.

Guy

Great looking deer for both of you!!! Fantastic picture of your bruiser as well. Now get out there and make another great "hunting in the thick stuff" Iowa version my good man!!!

Brian

Now that is just the kind of story I needed to start my day out right. Great job of getting your son on a nice buck. I can relate to the being able to hunt coyotes but having limited access for deer. That is getting more and more common around here as well. The buck you killed is a very, very nice mature buck. Finding out that you killed him with a 30.06 just gave you a few more bonus points in my book as well.
smile.gif

Thanks guys,

guywildstorm,

Raegan is doing OK. She still can't walk without help and we still have to feed her through a tube in her belly. Her mind is fully intact and she still has some type of physical therapy most everyday. She took a pretty good hit with the flu and it will take lots of therapy to get her back on track. She is a hard worker and keeps trying. It's frustrating at times but we count our blessing and keep pressing on.

For those that don't know. Raegan is Tanner's twin sister. We alsmost lost her to the flu almost 3 years ago. She is a very tough little girl.

Griz, Ursus,

I love the 06. I know it well and have lots of confidence in it's capabilities. I'm kind of boring in my caliber choices. I have 06's, 308's, 243's, 223's, 45 ACP's. The wildest caliber I own is a 7mm-08. If I can't get it done with those calibers then I doubt any whiz bag caliber would do me any better.

Bmeyer,

My latest video ("Where Predators Become the Prey") has quiet a bit of thick stuff in it.

Cody,

I've got another buck right here at here at home that is just as good. Trouble is he is a typical East Texas buck and will not move at all until late night. I've got a couple of game cameras out on him and he doesn't venture out until well after dark and then he doesn't go far. I have a plan to drive him out and hopefully I can connect with him.

Here is some pictures of him.

MDGC0004.jpg

MDGC0007-1.jpg

MDGC0034.jpg

I'll let you know if I get him.

Good Hunting, and God Bless,

Byron

Seems to me those that have a dim view of the 30.06 have spent very little time using one. They aren't glamorous, but they get the job done. I've killed everything from jackrabbits to really big black bears (400 lbs), to big bull elk. It's got the job done on all of them. I've owned all kinds of wonder mags as well, but always go back to my trusty 30.06.

Byron I really hope you can connect on that big boy in the night photos. I'd like to see what he looks like in the daylight. Probably look even better with you grinning behind him. Good luck with him!

Way to go guys, some great Texas bucks and great times together. I really enjoy hearing those stories! (My boys are not far off!) Thanks for the update on Raegan too. You guys keep hanging in there!

Byron thanks for the update. Give that girl a big hug for me. All I have is a bunch of ornery nephews so Im pretty partial to girls that like to hunt.

Guy

Byron, it is good to hear from you. I enjoyed your story about Tanner's first deer. My two boys both shot their first deer when they were 10. Your post made me recall some fond memories.

Great job Tanner and Dad! I love seeing stories on the boards about taking family members into the outdoors, especially your children. They are the future of this sport. And in my opinion, Tanner couldn't have a better person to lead him in the right direction.
smile.gif

Back