Remington 700 Long Throats

Rost-SD

I am considering a Remington 700 CDL in the 25-06 caliber. After talking to a few people and researching on the web, I've found that Remington tends to extend the throat length which makes it hard to reach the lands (or even get close in some cases). I called Remington and asked for the specs on this and he denied my request saying they are bored to "semi specs" and that is all he can tell me.

He did however admit to this saying, "yes, we do extend our throats". I mentioned the fact that sometimes seating the bullet close to the lands can be a key ingrediant to accuracy. I could tell he really didn't care. In fact, I believe he was eating something while on the phone with me!

1. So my question, is this something I should be worried about or am I working myself up for nothing? I plan to use this for both coyotes and deer with this gun. So my bullet range will be 120-75grains.

Any help would be appreciated..

My two newest Remington 700s, one short action and one long action both run out of magazine box length before I hit the lands with mid size for caliber bullets.
If you are shooting really light for caliber bullets this may be a percieved problem.

Last 700 i messed with had a very long throat. Max mag length, I mean max, was still a long ways from the lands with heavy bullets.

BIG problem in my SPSV in .17 FireBall! Most of the .17's like the bullet seated very close to the lands. I couldn't even come close! I actually had my gunsmith remove the barrel, cut off a couple of threads and rechamber with a zero leade .17 FB reamer. Shoots great now but I've got another $200 bucks or more in getting it that way.

A way around it that I found, is to purchase a factory DM stock, and factory DM hardware. Their dm system let's me get the magazine length I needed to get my .270 loads .010 off the lands, I wasn't able to do this with the factory ADL internal magazine. My 1-1.5 moa gun immediately went to a .5-1 moa shooter after the new stock, a bedding job, and loading closer to the lands.

Wierd, I have two 700's in 25/06 and the leade is not long at all, just SAAMI spec, 7 mags, 30/06, 270 the same way.

IN order to avoid lawyers, gunmakers have to use standard SAAMI spec reamers...Duck soup mentioned the only fix.

Older Sako's beat all I have ever seen on long leade.

I have a 700 243 that a 100 grain bullet is 1/2 inch short of the lands I don't like it at all it will get rechambered or rebarreled. If this is what I wanted I would have bought a weatherby.

My girlfriend bought me a 700 Sps Stainless 2yrs agofor Cristmas in 22.250. After a trigger job and floating the barrel the best 3 shot groups I could achieve were 1.25 inches. This was after trying 8 different factory loads and 5 different handloads. Finally the Gunsmiths at BP were the gun was purchased looked at the chamber with a bore scope and found a signficant step in the throat. They sent it back to Rem. and their thoughts were that they would rebarrel the gun, as it was under warranty. Funny. The gun came back, nothing changed other than the trigger set back to factory specs, with another target with a 1.25 inch group. They deemed that as acceptable accuracy. Needless to say the gun ended up in a pawnshop, and I bought a Browning a-bolt, and am completely happy. I will never own another gun made by Big Green, just my 2cents.

thats funny i just recently bought a 17 fireball sps varmint and i was hesitant at first but found a really good deal. and doing nothing more than lapping the bore and mounting a scope it will shoot half inch groups and under all day at a hundred yards just loaded them to max col

Back