220 swift or 243 winchester

howling

I have a 243 winchester and not trying to split hairs here and was wondering to keep it for coyotes or trade for a 220 swift? Anyone know the normal distance on both calibers without exaggerating any or are they comparable, because I just need to know which one is the better caliber and for reloading purposes...thank you for any imput.

Good luck i have never owned either of them.Did hunt some with dads 243 and worked fine for me.as balistics go try comparing them on a balistics web site . I use one by remington arms.

The .243 is a better "all around" round. What if you decide to hunt a bit tougher game? The .243 can handle most of what North America can dish out.

Id keep the .243 as well, good for light game & larger game.
Flat shooting as well.
My Ruger V77 .220 Swift had 9000+ rounds down the tube since 1976...bbl & throat was perfect when I sold it last year. Shot out is "old" 50-60s hype.

Keep the 243 and get the 220swift, the swift is a great cartridge and barrel life will be as good as the 243s will be. I shoot the 243 with 55gr Bts alot and have had several that had over 2000rds down the tube without any troubles. Barrel life is more shooter than anything. The swift is a great one and a great doggy round. HAPPY HUNTING

I have both and use both for calling as well as a 218 Bee. They all have their respective place. My model 70 Swift with 55 gr. hollow points is excellent out to 400 yds, providing placement is right and there isn,t to much wind. When the wind picks up I opt for the 243 BLR with 85 gr. sierra hollow points. As far as reloading, I consider them a toss up. I believe the myths about reloading the Swift and it being a barrel burner are just that. 3600 to 3700 fps, 55 gr. loades in the swift will do all you need to do and are NOT hard on a barrel. If you heve to have 4000 fps to satisfy ego be prepared to replace a berrel after a few thousand rounds, just as you would if you load the 243 to max for all of your shooting. It can be said that the 243 is all you need, no arguemnet here, but if you add a Swift to your arsenal you won't regret it. Just my opinions.

ruger, id like to know what you mean about barrel life being more about the shooter. I believe you I just want to know what you do.
I love both calibers but if I had to choose one it would be a .243 set up to shoot about 70grn vlds. Thats my wifes rifle and I love it

From what I have seen the 243 is a bit better in the wind, of course depending on the bullet selection. I know a number of fellas that like to punch holes in paper with the 243 at extended ranges. The heavier bullet weights carry some very good exterior ballistics that buck the wind real well.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: quarterboredWhen the Swift grows-up... it'll be a .243.

ALL .22 centerfires suck hind tit to the big sixes...

The 243 would have to stand on it's mama's shoulders just to kiss the swifts arse when it comes to predator killin. Grizz

Funny you can load both the swift and the 243 with 55gr Bullets and both shoot them faster. The swift will achieve 100+ or even better than the 250 while the 243 will run the 55s over 4000 with ease. The 22-250 isn't flatter than either. FACT!!!. HAPPY HUNTING

Originally Posted By: thefleen243. or if you want a real coyote killer get a 22-250. it shoots flatter than a 243 or 220

Keep your 243 and save up to get a Swift, I had a Swift a few years back and it was a excellent flat shooting round, probably scored more head shots on groundhogs with that round than any other, I shot a 60gr Sierra HP out of mine and the splat factor was high as well.

Stick with the 243, I used 70gr ballistic tips for a couple of years in a sporter barreled Remington 700 with good results from crow sized critters to deer. There is nothing wrong with the Swift, just use what you have.

Originally Posted By: thefleen243. or if you want a real coyote killer get a 22-250. it shoots flatter than a 243 or 220

This is a funny one 22-250 shoot flatter than a Swift. I've been a Swift shooter ever since Remington came out with the Classics in 92. I have sold traded or tore up my 250's to build or get something better,,,,a Swift. I shoot 55gr V Max's at 3850 and can run them faster. You can't do that with any 250 unless you AI it.

Back to the original question,,,shoot both. I never cared for the 243 but like the 6mm Remington. I have both the 6 and Swifts teamed up. Hands down I'm always reaching for a Swift over the 6. I have a new Swift in and just sighted the VXIII. I soon should have a few dead bodies posted with it.

Oh, another thing, Old Purp in the pic is my 1st Swift that I bought back in 92. She's still putting dogs in the dirt and 1/2'' groups on paper. I have no idea how many V Max's have gone down her tube,,,,,lots. So much for a Swift being a barrel burner. I have no qalms in saying I've probably already shot more dogs with that Swift than most callers will in their lifetime and I'm still racking up numbers. It's all in how you take care of your gun and shoot it.

Back