Bipods and POI

Should not change much if you put plastic milk jug lids underneath your bipod legs. The lids that have a smooth surface. Thats what I use in the varmint hunter match. Then the gun will be able to free recoil.

I'm not sure about Bipods vs. a bench, but I'm pretty sure milk jug lids are not gonna make much difference in POI...

Last edited:
Ya,, These are the types of threads that are very opinionated...

No Bipods for me,,, SHooting sling, or shooting sling.. Same every time...

J. only way to really know for your rifle is to try it. A barrel on average will move around 1/10th of an inch before your bullet leaves the muzzle. By adding any kind of weight on the forearm it will change

No question I experience a difference of POI. I have bipods on all my rifles, but I also have to change scope settings for zero depending on which position I will shoot from. If you shoot benchrest style, forget the bipod because your POI will probably be high by at least an inch high as well as some minor windage change. Like someone mentioned, you ever seen anyone in pictures shooting benchrest from a bipod? I haven't. But you better know how your particular rifle (and you) will react anytime you change the position from which the weapon is fired if you seek absolute accuracy.

Depends on the rifle. I'll use a personal, since I have experience. I've got a NEF .223, very pretty.
hrsmall.jpg

I go to the range by myself and shoot off of bags/bench. Very accurate. I go to the field, switch to bipod, and can't hit anything regardless or range. Switch to my little HMR and back in business.

My partner says, repeatedly, it's my cheap POS rifle and there's no way it will ever shoot well. I have roughly 100,000 more rounds and a decade of experience than him, I disagree. I go back to the range, shoots very well and round and round we go.

So today is the 1st time we go to the range together in a long time and I finally think about the difference between bag and bipod, esp on a break action. So I shoot of the bipod and what do you know, 6" high and 3 left at 100 yards. Def. a miss on a prairie dog. But quick adjust and here ya go, 1/2" and it will do it over and over again.

DSCF3138.jpg

End lesson is shoot how you expect to shoot in the field and sight the rifle accordingly. And remember that even after shooting a long time, you'll still forget something as basic as what's above.

One thing I learned recently, after talking to a few 1K shooters, was that to be more "consistant" when using a bipod, you need to "pre-load" the legs.

After you get behind the gun and finding your NPOA and a secure, comfortable cheekweld, push foward just a shade while holding your sight picture. From what I was told, this puts a little tension on the bipod legs and thus, a more secure shooting position for the gun.

I have yet to try this on with any heavy recoiling calibers, but with my .243 project gun.... Let's just say IT WORKS!!

It didn't completely eliminate those dang flyers, but my groups were more consistant. I found that the longer the range, the more obvious the results were. It's not a "cure all", and it will not solve any bad habits. What it will do is give you more consistant groups to work with.

YMMV, but it worked for me.

My opinion on this is as follows...I sight in and use the shortest bi-pod on a bench and I feel it is the best way to do that. However I agree with 700xcr and I put slippy plastic under each leg. Not milk jug lids but same idea.
Also NdIndy, I think the reason you are getting high and different POI when you use a bipod is most likely your rifle is not free floated. All my rifles are free floated. When you put a bi-pod on a rifle that is not free floated, it changes the whole harmonics of the barrel. It is the same as putting a shim or business card under the barrel between the forearm. It puts pressure on the bbl. and changes everything. On a free floating bbl. it puts a little pressure on the forearm but the forearm is not touching the bbl.
Just in my experience. Your milage may vary.

we went around on bipods and shifting POI a couple times over the last year- I also did a test sighted numerous rifles on a bench, sub MOA, then mounted a BIPOD slight shift when bipod was being used, but big shift when bipod was folded up- all rifles were impacted some degree, but slower rigs were impacted more. Bottom line is to sight in the way you plan to use it. I sight mine for field use with bipod being used. If you plan to use a tall bipod- sight it that way. Short,..... I only bench test if I am working loads or accurizing a rifle to see what it is expected to do.

NdIndy,
I guess I missed the part in your post about the NEF. I was just giving a general idea on rifles other than ones that can't be floated. I still stick to my analysis about the POI in guns that are floated. I don't think it affects them as much.I know it doesn't any of mine and they are all floated.
I use bolt guns, Rem. ,CZ, Win. etc.
smile.gif

Ya, a fully floated should be pretty much immune to forearm pressure in different places, one of the big bennies. For everything else, it's all about consistency.

again test your rifle and loads with the bipod- no matter if floated or not. The bipod will create additional vibs that will affect POI. Long bipods and slower rounds have more affect. Very simular to a stablizer on a bow.

Interesting the method you use. As for myself, I have Harris Bipods on most of my bolt guns. Something I do a little differently is once I get set with a good sight picture and comfortable cheekset, I PULL BACK slightly to lock the legs and make sure there isn't any forward movement that might occur once the round is discharged. I actually get my best grouping off my Bipods, but then I've been shooting that way for more than 25 years. Over the years I've also gone to the shorter Bipods for better stabilty, although some of my tightest groups have come from my .308 that I bought and had worked back in 1983. This may sound odd to some, but shooting off sandbags has never given me the results Bipods have, no matter whether I shoot off a bench or from the prone position. Guess its just a personal taste thing again.

I go the other way and lean into the rifle, as long as the bipod normally swings forward to fold. Locks everything in place and takes out some play.

Let me clarify exactly what I do. I pull back on the rifle to lock the bipod legs and lean forward with my body to make sure there is less of a chance of movement when discharging the weapon. To be clear, I DO NOT lean backward.

I have had what I percieve to be accuracy problems with bipods.
I have taken them all off for reasons like extra weight and brush hang up.
When I had them mounted, The poi changed.
I have lost coyotes because of them, so I don't use them.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoInteresting the method you use. As for myself, I have Harris Bipods on most of my bolt guns. Something I do a little differently is once I get set with a good sight picture and comfortable cheekset, I PULL BACK slightly to lock the legs and make sure there isn't any forward movement that might occur once the round is discharged.

Hmmmm..... Do you have your bipod mounted with legs pointing forward when not deployed? All mine are legs forward when not deployed but I've seen them mounted both ways. I push forward to preload the legs when they are resting against the stops in the deployed position. Seems that by pulling back, you'd be inducing more movement due to the swing of the legs themselves... Not doubting your results, just never heard of that before. I'll have to try your method sometime and see what happens.

Back