Anybody using any Vihtavuori Powders in their .223?

lanole

Came across this powder in a store today and the salesman highly recommended the Vihtavuori N530 Powder for reloading in my AR. I didn't buy it because I wasn't familiar with it and because it was $32.99 for one pound jug. Anybody had any experience with it in an AR and is it worth almost double what Varget and TAC are going for? One thing I see it has going for it in my eyes right now is that it is available.

I have never used it but it is supposed to be like the cadalac of powders. Not cheap at all if you have a load working with tac and you can find it then go with tac IMHO rp

That's my problem...I can't get my hands on any TAC and haven't had a whole lotta luck with Varget so far (I'm sure after more tinkering, it will perform better). These V powders are all I could find semi-locally.

Vihtavuori makes great powder and if thats all you can get locally I would snag it. The N530 is right in line with TAC as far as burn rate goes. I use N165 and N570 with great results. I'd try the N530 but still have 16 lbs of benchmark to use up first. Here is the VV load manual:

http://www.eabco.com/VihtaVuori01.pdf

RR

you sure that wasn't a 2lb container?....unless they've recently changed VV has always been in 2lb for smaller jug....i read somewhere that norma this year went to 1lb....go back & check...guy behind counter shudda said sumthin...@$17 a lb thats good...real good.

I have found Varget and Benchmark in 26.0 - 26.4 work very nicely for bullet grs between 50 - 55. Sorry ain't no way I'm payin $32+ for 1 lbs of any powder when there are less expensive and just as good powders available.

VV started coming out in 1 lb containers around a yerar a go or a little more. All the VV powders I have used were top notch and very clean burning. Unfortunately it is hard to find and costs more so I don't always use it in guns I shoot alot.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoI have found Varget and Benchmark in 26.0 - 26.4 work very nicely for bullet grs between 50 - 55. Sorry ain't no way I'm payin $32+ for 1 lbs of any powder when there are less expensive and just as good powders available.

Yeah, same here. I have even tried a few of the VV powders and it was not magic. I mean, when you have a load of Varget or 748 or TAC or whatever that shoots wonderful in your gun then paying perhaps 50% more for a different powder is questionable. I prefer Varget in my .223 rifles, but if I ever run out (aint happened yet!) there are many others that will work plenty good as well. At least ones that I can live with anyway.

I use the VV - N140 in my 22-250 with Great results, When I do my part I get 3/8" groups or smaller with a Sierra 52 Gr HPBT Match bullet and a CCI 200 primer. I use TAC in my AR 15/223 with good results.
When I run out of TAC I'll get some VV powder and give it a try. When I Buy powder to try I always buy 2 pounds or more of the same lot so if it works I have plenty of powder to last me a while. To me VV powder is worth the extra $'s per pound for the accuracy I get with it.

DAB

Last edited:
I have several lbs of the VV530 and I have been using it my Tac.20 and its a good powder very clean burning and gives excellent velocity. I would not pay that though. Too many other good ones H322,Benchmark,Xterminator.I use VV133 in my .223's and its as good as it gets for bullets up to 65gr. Top speeds and very clean burning and the accuracy is exceptional in the 4 .223's i have.

Last edited:
Typically, VV powders are not 50% more in this are (NW OH). I will be trying some VV-133 as a friend gave me some for 20-30 rounds.

Ramshot XTerminator is also a great .223 powder w/ 40 and 50 gr. bullets.

I use a lot of VV powders in my 223's and 308's. With 50 and 65 gr. bullets I get the best accuracy and velocity with N133. I use N135 with 55 gr. bullets again I get the best accuracy and velocity. With 69/77 gr. MatchKings nothing compares to VV 540 in my rifles and I have tried a lot of different powders. Yes they are a little more expensive, but I will pay it.

In the 308 N540 with a 150/155 bullet gives better accuracy and velocity than anything I have tried. Works very well with a 175 MatchKing. I have shot a little N540 in a 260 Rem. with pretty good luck. But I will probably stick with H4350 or H4831 with 142 MatchKing.

PaPa 260

Back