dog breed advice

easy_money

Hi guys,

I need your advice. I'm thinking about getting a dog.

I guess I should just tell you about me and then you can tell me if you think a cur is too much dog for me. (I'm pretty sure a jagd is too much)

I live on 3 acres on the edge of town.(but I do have neighbors with alot of dogs around) I have goats that I take hiking(pack goats) . I have a lab yard dog. Two cats and my girls want more. Four kids.

I shoot 10 or so coyotes a year and would like a dog capable of some decoying. The dogs companion characteristics will be more important than its hunting ability in the long run.

I don't have a ton of dog experience(if you can't tell) but I do know enough to realize that getting the right dog to start with goes along way towards being happy for both of you.

I know of a 3 month old jagd/cur mix is that is available. What do you think?(you can be honest, I know most of you will be anyway)

Thanks for your help.

easy money, a cur might be the answer.a hunting terrier weather a jagd, patterdale, lakeland , ect... is gonna be awfull hard on your girls cats. i promise you they won't last. from what iv'e gathered a cur would be the sensible choice.

Curs are extremely family oriented. One would fit right in. Don't know about a Jag/Cur cross though. I don't my dogs would tolerate a cat anywhere near them. The cats just might disappear. Would that be a bad thing?
scared.gif

A cur or cur cross would be ok, but you would have to "break it off cats at the start".You can teach them that cats are not prey, it's not easy, but can be done.I can't say about the Jagd, as I've never owned one. Duane

I agree, the cur would be a great choice. My 3 month old jagd/cur that I have is a chicken chasing sob. Very stubborn about it. She's right back on them, seconds after being discplined. In your situation, I'd go with the cur.

Tony

Hey I have 2 , 10 month old cursThat I am selling,I have started them on some coyotes.I also have 2 Ogorman/Dorn pups 7 months old, I am selling.I will put some pictures on here in a bit. If youare interrested give me a call. Devin 801-910-1501

The first 2 are ltter mates the dark brindle is a male and the light brindle is a female. They are real nice to be around, they need a little work on their handle.They are good with my 2 year old daughter. And they love the coyotes.lol $300 each take your pick

30mlqxl.jpg

2rmtw1g.jpg

The next are the O'Gorman/Dorn pups and I know alot of you guys are going to say they have airedale in them but you are wrong. Here is the story on these dogs and someone else might be able to tell it better but the way I understand it is...Vernon Dorn ( In Wyoming) developed these dogs for coyotes as trapline and decoy dogs and they have alot of Irish Terrier and cur in them when Dorn died O'Gorman Of O'Gorman lures and trap supplies bought the breed and has been breeding them ever since. I do know if you call O'Gorman you have to get on a waiting list and pay a bunch of money.
These 2 are sisters and have been strated on coyotes but still young, very good with my 2 year old daughter also. I don't think they will have as good as nose but might be the better decoy dogs ( aliitle less grit). $300 each take your pick

4ui81e.jpg

264t1mt.jpg

Last edited:
And yes Tony that was the male you was wanting. Not to rub it in your face or anything but he did a very nice job today. :0)

A cur would be a great choice. I had my older cur broke off of our house cat, but the was the only cat that was safe. She was smart enough to know the difference and I use her for bobcat hunting. I never even tried to break my pup I was sick of the cat by the time I got the pup.

Curs or catahoula's both work great for any hard animals. We have used curs or "cats" to work cattle out of the brush or for pigs. Whenever we go out and exercise the dogs they always seem to end up on a coyote or a big cat. The advise I offer is you have to be extremely firm with them otherwise they will walk all over you. You have to lay down the ground rules and stick with them. They are great at what they do. Good Luck

Originally Posted By: jones The advise I offer is you have to be extremely firm with them otherwise they will walk all over you. You have to lay down the ground rules and stick with them. They are great at what they do. Good Luck

I would say that is more true with catahoula's than kemmers or the original mt cur

Hey Devin, how much of that coyote was left when they got done with it? It looks like you might be able to carry it off in a baggy, lol. Your pics are amazing.

So far I am MORE than happy with my cur pup except he keep going potty inside. I took him out in the big field yesterday and was letting loose with one of Kerry Carvers calls and he just walked right next to me like it was nothing. He would just go about 30 yds and come back, when I stopped he stopped and sat down next to me. TUG is fastly becoming an amazing dog.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaHey Devin, how much of that coyote was left when they got done with it? It looks like you might be able to carry it off in a baggy, lol. Your pics are amazing.

You wouldn't have wanted to skin it.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaSo far I am MORE than happy with my cur pup except he keep going potty inside.
I know how to cure that.....Put it outside lol

Originally Posted By: A Dana Devin.....how many dogs do you have???
Too many that is why I am selling some. I don't know what I was thinking. Trapper2 talked me into it.lol
I just started working with these ones but wanted to make sure they weren't culls before I sold them and as you can see they like the coyotes. And the great thing about these pups, you don't have to feed them for a year to find out if they like coyotes or not. Buy a pup at say $300 and feed it for a year at another $300 and find out you have a cull???? No guessing here boys, just put some chrome on them.

Last edited:
You guys are great!!!
Devin69, that light brindle female sounds sweet, but I'd better stick with a pup.
With out the, "it's soooo cute factor" going for it. I wouldn't be able to sneak another dog in around here.

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I really appreciate it!

Clint

Originally Posted By: A Dana Devin.......pretty lucky guy to get to mess with all them different dogs.

Andy Ha, Byron's buddy Andy? Shouldn't you be over messing with larry? lol

Originally Posted By: Devin69Originally Posted By: A Dana Devin.......pretty lucky guy to get to mess with all them different dogs.

Andy Ha, Byron's buddy Andy? Shouldn't you be over messing with larry? lol

NO, not me.

i'm just an old horseshoer with [beeep] cur dogs that catch a lion once in a while when they get bored on deer....

I find it remarkable how many differnet lines, breeds, strains of dogs you have experience with.

Quote:And yes Tony that was the male you was wanting. Not to rub it in your face or anything but he did a very nice job today. :0)

Now that is just flat mean, rubbing it in my face!
smile.gif
First thing I noticed in that picture, was that Jagd cross leaping off of all fours. I figured that was him. Next thing I noticed was that light brindle female cur. Hard to tell how she looks with a face full of coyote fur, but that's what makes her look even better!

I'd be in so much trouble, if we lived closer together.
smile.gif

Tony

Back