Just got back

vargy49

from 3 days hunting in ILL.
It was the last weekend of deer season here in Iowa so I made a road trip to ILL to run hounds!!
These folks have alot of game there.
I got there friday morning and they already had one going.
One hound was running the coyote by site and came to the road. I pull up and send the stags on a head on collsion. The coyote does a side step and gets around them and crosses the road.
The ditch was appro 5 ft higher then the road. My Liz stag had a bad wreck when she hit the road. Head over heals.
They are heading for the brush. The stags were right on him when he made it.
My Libby stag came back. The rest were gone for 20 mins. My new red stag that I call Dog came out on the south road all blood with some holes in his face. He wasnt walking very good. Got to looking him over and he had broke a front toe real bad.
I would say he caught the coyote in the brush by7 the looks of his face. But he will be laid up for a while now. That is the first turn out i had with him.
I take him to a friends house and tie him up.
Head back out and turn 4 hounds up a ditch. A few mins later heard them open and Yoter tells me to head east.I get moved east and Yoter says I ment west!! LOL
I get turned around and move about a 1/2 mile just in time to see the coyote cross ahead of me.
I pull up where I thought he crossed and send the stags over the hill.
Seconds later the hounds come and I had mis judged the crossing by a 100 yards!! LOL
Yep that race blew up right there. ( My fault)
We ran a couple more coyotes that day with hounds but could never get a turn out on them.
Saturday morning gets there and a guy spots a coyote right at day light.I pull on past him and spoted a 2nd on right next to the first one. 2 other guys spots 2 more at the same time in a diff section.
I send Bear and Hunter up a water way and hoping that they will intercept the track.
They pick the track up and head for the ditch. A min later both coyotes bust out the south east corner and Mike is sitting there with a set of stags. He sends them and its over real fast. My 2 hounds make it to the catch and its over.
Get all loaded up and a guy spots 2 more a few sections over from there. We send some hounds up a ditch where he seen the yotes and before you know it we have 5 coyotes going diff directions!! LOL
Jerry sends a set of stags and ends one race real fast.
the guys keeps a eye on one of the other coyotes and Jerry gets all loaded up and gets another turn out and that race ends.
One of the guys that was watching a 3rd coyote in that section lost site of it. I pull back into a field drive where he lost sight and it bust out of a fence row in front of me.
That yote has a good jump on me but I send them any way.
I have Liz,Libby and 2 of Rons young stags (14 months old) that has only seen 2 coyotes so far.
The game is on and they are closing the gap real fast.
They are getting to the 1/2 mile and I am watching the race in field glasses giving Ron a play by play.
One of Rons yound red stags is closing the gap on the coyote and it starts doing the side step with em right on its tail.
One of Rons yound dogs roles it and its up running again.
I could see it dump the coyote one more time then lost sight of them. They are close to a mile away from me.
Glen is sitting on the other side and lets us know that Liz closed the deal on the coyote.
Thats 4 coyotes in the first 2 hours of the morning.
We have hounds running coyotes most the rest of the day.
We decided the give them a break and go hunt some barns with my little dogs.
Just get pulled into the first place and a guy hollars on the radio that he has 2 more spotted in wide open ground.
So much for hunting the Terriers!! LOL We head over there and the first coyote had already crossed the road. I am just pulling up and the 2nd crosses in front of me.
I am trying to get the stags to see it and send them. 2 dogs lock on and are heading in hard for the coyote.
The coyote makes the brush in the neck of time and the 4 stags are coming back to the truck.
I look out my window and a 3 coyote stands up 200 yds from my truck.
I honk the horn the gets Roms attention to get the stags to look cause they are just about back to the truck and a 4th coyote stands up right next to him.
They are just walking away and I could not get the stags to see those coyotes.
This section is a 2 mile by 1 mile with not even one tree in the whole thing and they did not see the coyotes!!
frown.gif
LOL
We head back for the barns and the same guy comes on the radio that he has 2 more spotted.
Some much for barn hunting again and we head back!! LOL
The guy send hounds on one of the coyotes and they make a small ditch and dont come out.
They walk in and the hounds had caught it and race was over by the time we got there!! LOL
We head back and all we could find with the little dogs. They located in a old shed with a bunch of garbge in it. They had a dang Grinner.
Checked a few more places before it got dark and nothing home!!

This morning got out right at day light and some one spotted 2 coyotes right at day light.
They send a couple hounds up a ditch. I am sitting in a field drive and one hound ( which is a pup that I raised a few years ago) Ranger came out on a coyotes azz by him self. He caught it 2 times but couldnt hold it.
I pulled the rope and gave him some help. My stags went right around the hound and rolled the coyote up in short order.
Just got all loaded up and some one spots another coyote a few blocks over.
I drop Bear and Hunter on the track and they take it good.
I head for the south road and the coyote is coming right at herbs truck. I get there just as it crossed the road and pull the rope.
I watch it for a few seconds and the stags are looking good closing the gasp real fast.
They make the 1/2 mile so I head for the south road.
Some says the stags are coming back to the road and caught them up!!
About the same time some says he comes another coyote with 2 hounds right on him.
Jerry pulls the rope and ends that race in a hurry.
I got the looking my stags over and Liz had pulled a toe nail plum off. I am guessing thats why she quit the race and the 2 young stags just fallowed her back to the truck.
I called it a day and headed the 5 hours back home to get my dogs healed back up!!
Heading further south east into ILL next week!!
We caught 4 coyotes with stags sat and one with hounds and 2 coyotes with stags on Sunday morning!!

Vargy

Holy Smokes Vargy, you were kinda hard on the hounds this weekend. Looks like the young stags are figuring it out though.

I bet you're glad deer season is over and now the fun can really begin. I'm the same way.

Thanks for the great play by play but what happened to the camera?
ohmy.gif
A Vargy story without the pictures just isn't the same.
mellow.gif

Dang, that's some great numbers and some great races Vargy. I do miss running dogs in Illinois, especially with the Leech boys.

Tony

This is the first one that I caught. Ron on the right with his 2 young red stags.
My Libby in the front and Liz the black and white stag.

SVPNY-RoninILL.JPG

I let my Terriers out and chew on one of the coyotes.

FXYPC-Terrierschewing.JPG

The first one that Mike caught with his stags. My hounds Hunter and Bear on the left.

WPOBF-mikescott.JPG

EQUCK-mikescott-1.JPG

The one I caught this morning. The 2 young red stags on the right and Liz and hound Ranger on the left

NSYEM-ranger.JPG

I let Rhino out to help finish the deal quicker.

TZIWF-ranger-1.JPG

The 2nd one this morning. Jerrys stags caught this one.

TYNXX-chad.JPG

HRPQV-chad-1.JPG

Vargy

That is awsome, dont sound like you get bored. I wish there were more people running coyotes around here it would be something to see.

Back